Holy Crap!

indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited October 30, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
This round blows my mind!!!! Stunning work, friends! You humble me.

Jesse

Comments

• kp-pixkp-pix Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    This round is truly 'amazing'! Well done everyone, such great quality and the creativity is brilliant!
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    It's intimidating!
    :jawdrop

I'm sitting here trying to gear up for my top 10 picks. But there's NO WAY I'm going to be able to pick just 10. There just are way too many terrific pics in this round.

Poor, poor judges. :cry rolleyes1.gif
  • PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    Ditto on the great creativity and quality!

Also, I think it's great that the number of entrants is up - hope it continues to build.

-paul
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2007
    Yeah definitely great on the number of entries. I hope everyone sticks around and keeps entering in rounds 16-20.

I don't envy the judges this time around and it's going to be hard seeing a lot of good images miss out because there's way more than 10 worthy of being in the top 10.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    OMG! 120 entries, the majority of which could easily be in the top-10. Unbelievable. I think if I try hard enough, I can whittle it down to the top-50, but from there ne_nau.gif. Awesome images everyone!
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    I Agree with EVERYONE....OMG....What Amazing, Captivating Photos, Great Compositions!!thumb.gif
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    ...there's way more than 10 worthy of being in the top 10.

15524779-Ti.gif
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    It does have a lot of holes, doesn't it... rolleyes1.gif

I began to ponder mid week just what it was about this theme that so many folks were entering, and not just entering a shot on a whim, but entering so many well composed and finished shots. With all the discussion about what the meaning of "monochromatic" was, then to have all the entries. I think there was just a freeing of the mind once folks got past thinking about it...

I just hope that the ones that don't get selected, especially the new entrants who recently delurked, will stick around and learn what there is to learn, not go running off upset about how the judging is done... Let's see!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    I just hope that the ones that don't get selected, especially the new entrants who recently delurked, will stick around and learn what there is to learn, not go running off upset about how the judging is done... Let's see!

Me too!

I hope this round is backed with a good set of comments from the judges, because that seems to help some people get through the initial disappointment.

I think with so many good images this round, there are going to be people who will be justifiably disappointed that their shot didn't make it. But there are obviously a lot of talented people out there and it would be good to see them stick around.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
    edited October 29, 2007
    Well Peter, on this I would agree.. I always appreciate that Shay finishes off a comment or two on all of the entries, but he is only one of three to five, and we've recently not been getting anything other than Shay's comments. While we shouldn't come here looking for validation, the only way I'm learning is by looking at who did get selected, then seeing what skills I need to learn in order to do work of that level. To me, if one agrees to be a judge, then one signs up for full critique of the images. To me, I emphasize....
    Mark
  • jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    It does have a lot of holes, doesn't it... rolleyes1.gif

I began to ponder mid week just what it was about this theme that so many folks were entering, and not just entering a shot on a whim, but entering so many well composed and finished shots. With all the discussion about what the meaning of "monochromatic" was, then to have all the entries. I think there was just a freeing of the mind once folks got past thinking about it...

I don't care if I get selected or not, I plan to enter again. I look at it as having 5 more chances to get in.

Looking at all of the competition, I don't know that I have a good chance (nothing at all so far in the unofficial feedback, but the judges could look at it in a completly different way). I'd like to see the feedback to learn from it and get ideas on how to be a better photographer.

Regards,
    James
    edited October 29, 2007
    Very true, you NEVER know what the outcome is going to be....There have been many times when photos were selected in the "unofficial" thread and only a few were selected by the judges.

Again, Good Luck To All!!
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited October 29, 2007
    jziegler wrote:
    I don't care if I get selected or not, I plan to enter again. I look at it as having 5 more chances to get in.

Looking at all of the competition, I don't know that I have a good chance (nothing at all so far in the unofficial feedback, but the judges could look at it in a completly different way). I'd like to see the feedback to learn from it and get ideas on how to be a better photographer.

Regards,
    James

GREAT attitide to come into this thing with.. One thing I can assure you is that the judges vote will NOT mirror or follow the popular vote.... So just look, listen, learn, improve, try again... then take all of it and put it to use "out there..."
    Mark
  • jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    GREAT attitide to come into this thing with.. One thing I can assure you is that the judges vote will NOT mirror or follow the popular vote.... So just look, listen, learn, improve, try again... then take all of it and put it to use "out there..."

I'm trying to have a good attitude about this. Sometimes it's a bit hard seeing all of the great work out there. But it was fun thinking about how to meet the theme, so I'll keep at it. I think I may also start trying to do some of the weekly assignments to work on my skills.

Two weeks off, gives me a bit of a chance to work on the pictures that I took on a trip to China back in July.

Regards,
    James
    edited October 30, 2007
    All I can say is....I'm a bit in "awe" at the official picks, I agree with a couple...but I have been left dumbfounded, and I am sure, I am expressing outright what many are feeling....previously, I have not really felt the need to read the judges official feedback on the photos chosen, and those that did not place, but this time, I really look forward to reading HOW and WHY the Top Ten and those not picked were judged....This ought to prove very interesting reading...

Again, Congrats to Everyone for all your efforts put forth as it really showed in the compositions!!

I can't wait to see what the Semi-Finalists put forth, it is gonna be intense!

Have a GREAT one today and everyday!!
  • kp-pixkp-pix Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Yeah honestly, bloody bizarre and I have spent all afternoon not getting my knickers in a knot as I have bigger things, like thunderstorms to worry about on saturday!

But yeah, really keen on seeing the feedback too.

I could see primary colors being a thing, not so sure on the b&w's as to MY eye's DaddyO's should have been so up there in that category, awesome conversion, truly awesome

then there were both kitties - liquidair - seriously bowdown.gif and the Bas shot - I loved indie's, curious camels, nikolai's, annnnna's - fall hues 'wow'.... lynne's..D's auto. da sparks of davev - so hot, how do you DO that

BOO HOO my mind can't cope rolleyes1.gif I jest but yeah, my mind does spinneth like this laughing model
    > rolleyes1.gifdunno