Unofficial LPS 15 Feedback Thread

13»

Comments

• Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    lynnesite wrote:
    Thanks for all the mentions!

I wonder--I had uploaded a less worthy image, then replaced it. The need to "refresh" when viewing at the end of a challenge is something I had not done before, wonder if that affected my results.

I don't know about the ending results being different, but I do know from personal experience that as soon as I hit refresh the newest/revised/updated entry versions pop up...might be a cookie thing?

Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    I don't know about the ending results being different, but I do know from personal experience that as soon as I hit refresh the newest/revised/updated entry versions pop up...might be a cookie thing?

Donna

I'm talking about whether the judges are doing a refresh on each page, if they had been viewing the images during the submission period, they would have seen the same image of mine but cropped differently and not as bright. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Wow, that's a best comment I could hope for. clap.gif
    Let me rework it a bit. LPS only operates on 800x800x72dpi, so I didn't prepare it for printing yet.
    I also wanted to add some room on the sides. Hopefully I'll have it done by tonight. I'll post the link here then:-) thumb.gif

Redone.

215307744-L.jpg

Here's the linky to the page:
    http://nik.smugmug.com/gallery/2621181/1/215307744/Large

It may look smaller, but IRL it's rather big. This image has a native resolution of ~20"x20"x240, so print away.thumb.gif

FWIW, here's a link to the original entry:
    http://nik.smugmug.com/gallery/3682156/1/213555688/Large
    but I doubt it print well larger than 8"x8".
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    HarleyPugsHarleyPugs Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    Sort of....
    Tentacion wrote:

Donna

It more of a cache issue. Internet Explorer tries to save time buy storing graphics and pictures once for each time you go to a page. So you have to refresh that cache when a picture is replaced.

Jon
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    HarleyPugs wrote:
    It more of a cache issue. Internet Explorer tries to save time buy storing graphics and pictures once for each time you go to a page. So you have to refresh that cache when a picture is replaced.

Jon

Exactly what I think Lynn was asking...

Do the JUDGES refresh when they view the FINAL (after thread has been CLOSED) photos for judging?

If not, then that means, they are possibly not seeing UPDATED/REVISED entries of members photos, but instead viewing the older versions?? So I think Lynn's question has been answered....and if they haven't refreshed, you (entrant) could possibly be loosing cuz they are viewing a prior entry or revision of your latest current entry.

So maybe the Head Honchos need to inform the judges that they need to REFRESH the Theme Thread after the thread has been closed!!

Very interesting thought to ponder....Did the Judges REFRESH before Judging?? hmmmmm???
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 31, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    Do the JUDGES refresh when they view the FINAL (after thread has been CLOSED) photos for judging?
    I can't speak for this round, but when I was judging, we were told to wait until the deadline was over before viewing the photos. To make sure everybody was seeing the same photos, a temporary hidden gallery of entries was set up just for the judges. So I don't think you should worry about judges judging the wrong/previous entries. thumb.gif

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • Options
    annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 31, 2007
    I only got to properly look at the photos yesterday just before the winners were announced. Only one of my top ten favorites made it. This only goes to show that 1) tastes vary, and 2) there were many good photos! thumb.gif I'm glad so many people in this thread liked my entry. :D
    Congrats all! If you didn't make it to the semifinal, get ready for round #16! mwink.gif

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Remember47Remember47 Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited October 31, 2007
    Thanks!
    wings.gifThank you so much for including my shot "The Last
    Iris" in your top choices! Your collage is just beautiful.
    It really helps to know that fellow photographers like your work!
    Best,
    Karen
    Remember47
    In no particular order...
    214303454-M.jpg

I had a great time putting this together, just look at it! There is some amazing stuff here! Well done everyone, and good luck!
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2007
    Thank You!
    Thank you SunsetSailor, I really appreciate your choosing my shot "The Last Iris" as one of your favorites; there were so many wonderful shots!
    Best,
    Karen
    Remember47
    There were so many amazing excellent entries, how can anyone choose? But here is my best attempt. I leaned toward the photos that took extra or special skills to capture. The ones that made me wonder "now just how was that done".headscratch.gif
    Congraulations to the LPS 15 class. You are awesome!!!clap.gif

LPS15Picks.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2007
    To Rockporter!
    Thanks so much for including me in your favorites! I visited your site and I see your'e from Rockport...I'm from Newburyort!...I thought that whale looked familiar!rolleyes1.gif
    Another round of great photos .
    Thanks again,
    Karen
    Remember47
    The Last Iris
    214582768-O.jpg
  • Options
    RockportersRockporters Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2007
    Remember47 wrote:
    Thanks so much for including me in your favorites! I visited your site and I see your'e from Rockport...I'm from Newburyort!...I thought that whale looked familiar!rolleyes1.gif
    rolleyes1.gif

I love Newburyport! We spent quite a bit of time there over the summer, we docked there instead of Gloucester this year.

Your photo was beautiful!
    Beth

Nikon D300
    Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
    Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D

[SIZE=-3]Mary Beth Glasmann Photography[/SIZE]