Favorite Things

indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
edited October 30, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
What are your top three favorite things about the LPS contest?

Mine are:

1. Creating and viewing the unofficial lists.
2. Reading the feedback (official and unofficial)
3. Seeing the progress of fellow photographers, either through pre-submission feedback requests or through the cumulative progression of someone's work.

Along that vein, it's so cool to see how certain people have progressed, isn't it? I see so much growth. Personally, this contest has pushed me and expanded my bag of tricks. Thanks for setting the bar so high, everyone.

Jesse

Comments

• MarkToddMarkTodd Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    I think you've about covered it! I only found this place during LPS#11, so this will be my first chance to watch the Semi-Final entries as they come in. I'm practically salivating in anticipation of some really amazing stuff!

wings.gif
  • peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Mine are similar in a way to yours Indie, but in a different order:

1. thinking about my own image making in a new way;
    2. being challenged not only by the themes, but also by some of the regulars who seem to produce good images every round
    3. looking at the unofficial lists and the official feedback.

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • explorishexplorish Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    along similar lines
    getting any feedback (official and unofficial)

that it motivates me to go out shootin at least once every 2 weeks

thinking about how to shoot / what image to put, especially as it forces me to be just a touch more thoughtful about what i see. refreshing.
    The best thing about a photo is the journey that brought you to it.
  • FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    These are a few of my favorite things...
    1. Indiegirl and her new threads that get us discussing our opinions and give us a chance to get to know the contestants better.

2. The challenge of getting out there and shooting to create images I never would have thought I had in me.

3. Getting to know so many talented artists who honestly critique my work and inspire me to expand my creativity.
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • kp-pixkp-pix Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Hmmm I really love the unofficial thread because I find that I resonate with what people like there. I used to be not so bad with loving what would win in the past, but not so good these days - so it shows me that my taste isn't completely ummm *no swearing* crap!

The frown and hmmmm is good, because I see that I have no clue, so sit there for hours going over my things thinking they're all crap, because my likes seem out of place, so perhaps my work is too - so I notice more areas of improvement.

Sometimes, I do believe we can get comfortable but then, when we go over things, we can learn to work on what we see are our strengths too.

Like this theme for instance, has motivated me to dig deeper for a job that I have next year. It is in this place where I know that the lady has seen many works. So MY version of the sepia she has in mind is not doubt completely different than hers. So I shall delve deeper. She simply said she loved my relaxed, candid way, I heard sepia and went off into the sunset.

Now I know to ask much more eek7.gif She may mean aged over mood - lighting shadows over a simple warm tone.

I was completely off with this theme. I can see what was desired by the results but my mind didn't even register with colourful as being a display of colour variances - I took it as bright and colourful, strong colour - and monochrome - I thought that was a firm definition of non or one colour selection? headscratch.gifcry

As I said, no clue but at least it makes you think - so that's what is my favourite thing - the motivation to think deeper, even if annoyed or confused
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Good question
    I'm a bit different in my likes and dislikes regarding the LPS.

1. The theme based is identical at times to requests of clients. It causes you to think not only how to meet the criteria but execute it in a way that is visually moving/appealing, etc. I like it.

2. The fact that we (in the real world) are competing with other images using the same rules. Who knows how many photographers a client has called upon behind the scenes. I like it.

3. Taxing one's thought process. Finding ultimate way of obtaining a particular mood photographically. This takes time and committment. I like it.

The other stuff about unofficial lists, opinions, etc. are added bonuses....sometimes fluff, sometimes Rah Rah Rah but usually fun. There are times when feedback is incredibly helpful and, as we've all experienced, sometimes way off the mark.

Photo contests are a near impossibility to figure out (winning entries) so it's like most ventures in life: put your best foot forward, have faith, lay down your chips and spin the wheel. rolleyes1.gif
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • kp-pixkp-pix Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    The other stuff about unofficial lists, opinions, etc. are added bonuses....sometimes fluff, sometimes Rah Rah Rah but usually fun. There are times when feedback is incredibly helpful and, as we've all experienced, sometimes way off the mark.

Photo contests are a near impossibility to figure out (winning entries) so it's like most ventures in life: put your best foot forward, have faith, lay down your chips and spin the wheel. rolleyes1.gif[/quote]

Well, whether a winner or a loser, if a peer posts an opinion about anything anyone does, it isn't mere 'fluff' or added bonuses. The unofficial thread is as much about personal taste as the judges verdict and is just as exceptional in my opinion.

In fact, as someone who has never qualified, but quite often had a nice flag in this section, it is nice to know that whilst 4 or 5 people might think my efforts didn't hit them, they still had appeal to someone else.

Whilst continual criticism seems to be a 'cool' thing with anything artistic, as much as fake praise with friends - something that is neutral and personal, just like the judging, is extremely beneficial to people.

There can only be 10 winners, but to some, one YAY I liked your image, gives you that 'winner' feel regardless, and keeo you going, above and beyond the failure to win :D
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Not to create mis-understandings
    "There are times when feedback is incredibly helpful and, as we've all experienced, sometimes way off the mark."

The unofficial thread is as much about personal taste as the judges verdict and is just as exceptional in my opinion.

True. There have been numerous times however that entrants have gone with an entry that went against thier instincts because of the sway of the opinions as well.

I'm not negating nor suggesting the feedback and forum participation isn't of value....not in the least. What I was trying to articulate (and apparently haven't done very well) is that the entrant needs to discern good advice from bad, favoritism from indifference, personal instincts of their work over and above other's opinions. All information is useful in making a wise decision and it's wonderful to have. The bottom line though is one must enter what they think best and sometimes ignore getting wrapped up in so many varied opinions that one's style and objective is bypassed. Hope this makes sense.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    1. Thinking out of the box. Most of my photography is pretty conventional; snaps, events, portraits and landscapes. Once every two weeks I take the time to shoot something different for LPS.

2. The critiques--all of them. Judges feedback, unofficial feedback and image threads. I have been trying to approach LPS with the attitude that every opinion is valid and the context of a context gives you a rare opportunity to hear from people who don't like your shot.

3. The photos. The entry threads are always fun, interesting and sometimes thought provoking.
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    I like to follow the threads associated with the competition. I've began to admire the time and effort that most of the competitors put into each challenge. Through the threads, it is easy to see the energy that the competitors put into their entries. Though a serious, community competition, the threads allow me to watch how everyone helps each other get their entry just right. It's cool to see all the competitors helping each other to put forth the best entry they can.

The learning experience, from the thought process challenged by the theme, to the 'getting the shot', and better understanding my equipment, is briliant. And the fact, at the end of the day, that it is a competition, is pretty cool.

And finally, seeing all the entries. Getting to do my own critiqueing of each entry, and picking my favorites. The gallery of winners at SMUGMUG is exceptional.
    Growing with Dgrin