Options

Ch 34

AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
edited March 11, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges

Comments

• Options
    purifiedpurified Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    I definitely love the first one! The reflection of the palm tree adds to the shot, for sure. Where ever you live, I'm certainly jealous that I can't live there too! *grumbles at Minnesota weather*

Quite well done, indeed! thumb.gif
    Purified Photography
    Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly
  • Options
    Lucky HackLucky Hack Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    That first one is really dynamic, love the reflection, nice and crisp too.thumb.gif
    I have a sneaking suspicion there is going to be alot of architecture in challenge 34, if so this is definitely a contender.

Great shots.

hoping this message finds you well -Ian
    Chance favors the prepared mind. -Louis Pasteur
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2005
    purified wrote:
    I definitely love the first one! The reflection of the palm tree adds to the shot, for sure. Where ever you live, I'm certainly jealous that I can't live there too! *grumbles at Minnesota weather*

Quite well done, indeed! thumb.gif
    Thanks Kelly. I'm pleased with how it turned out too. Don't grumble about MN winters; remember here in CA we have 3 seasons - fire, flood and earthquake
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2005
    Lucky Hack wrote:
    That first one is really dynamic, love the reflection, nice and crisp too.thumb.gif
    I have a sneaking suspicion there is going to be alot of architecture in challenge 34, if so this is definitely a contender.

Great shots.

hoping this message finds you well -Ian
    Thank you Ian and I agree architecture will probably dominate this challenge.
  • Options
    RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    I like the first one as well, nice angle and reflection. Funny, but as i was approching my office this AM (I get to work when it's still dark) I looked up and noticed that only a few office lights were on inside (its a 14 story building) and thought, "Gee a sideways shot highlighting the lit windows amoung all the dark ones would be a good entry for this challange".

RocketMan
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
  • Options
    rt88rt88 Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    I'd like to know... Looking at the two pictures......Which one is taller?... the building or the palm tree.

Nice photos Angelo, 1st ones very nice..

RT881drink.gif
  • Options
    trippy64trippy64 Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    I know who I'm voting for already, it is definitly the first one. I wish my shots were that clean.
    trippy64.smugmug.com
    A man can do as he wills, but not will as he wills.

An opinion should be the result of thought,not the replacement of it.:scratch
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2005
    RocketMan wrote:
    I like the first one as well, nice angle and reflection. Funny, but as i was approching my office this AM (I get to work when it's still dark) I looked up and noticed that only a few office lights were on inside (its a 14 story building) and thought, "Gee a sideways shot highlighting the lit windows amoung all the dark ones would be a good entry for this challange".

RocketMan
    Thanks Rocketman. If you decide to copy me and win I get 10% rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2005
    rt88 wrote:
    I'd like to know... Looking at the two pictures......Which one is taller?... the building or the palm tree.

RT881drink.gif
    Thanks double8s.
    Funny I don't remember... I'll stroll by tomorrow to check and report back.
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2005
    trippy64 wrote:
    I know who I'm voting for already, it is definitly the first one. I wish my shots were that clean.
    Wow, trippy thank you. very kind of you.
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    rt88 wrote:

RT881drink.gif
    Two birds! I went back and checked for you 8s and the building wins but not by much. It is 5 stories plus an atrium lobby so I'll guesstimate its height at 75 feet. The tree is a little shorter... I'm guessing 50-60 feet. It probably appears taller in #2 because of the positioning. The tree is about 35' away from the building (closer to me in this perspective).

And I got to reshoot so it would be eligible for the challange! Thanks. :D
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    I would have said I like #1. But, now that I've read some stuff on minimalism, I think I'd vote for a plain grid of the building windows without the tree at all. Funny, the ideas of minimalism are in direct contradiction with some of the ideas of good photography. I'm really getting confused. I think you need just a tree with a plain background or just a building with no extra elements at all. And forget depth. Get a strip of grass with a tree on one end and a blank sky. No detail needed. Minimalism is very strange.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    I would have said I like #1. But, now that I've read some stuff on minimalism, I think I'd vote for a plain grid of the building windows without the tree at all. Funny, the ideas of minimalism are in direct contradiction with some of the ideas of good photography. I'm really getting confused. I think you need just a tree with a plain background or just a building with no extra elements at all. And forget depth. Get a strip of grass with a tree on one end and a blank sky. No detail needed. Minimalism is very strange.
    You know Snappy, that sounds like a great picture, the tree and all, we just don't see that kind of thing very often.

That was my problem. That was why I could not stay where I usually take photos. I would love a lone tree with mostly sky etc., have never seen one when I needed it.

ginger

Hi, Angelo.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    melmel Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Minimalism?

Angelo-
    Really clean shots! I like the first one. For the challenge, maybe crop in closer and lose the sky at the top? Fewer competing elements? Really like them both.
    Mel clap.gif
  • Options
    digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Minimalism?
    17017877-L.jpg

I think a tight crop on this one would really make a winner, without the tree and sky I think (unless you shot it with a balance of sky to building perhaps?). I think those 2 elements compete with the form and beautiful lines of the building. this angle is awesome, it draws me in thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    You know Snappy, that sounds like a great picture, the tree and all, we just don't see that kind of thing very often.

That was my problem. That was why I could not stay where I usually take photos. I would love a lone tree with mostly sky etc., have never seen one when I needed it.

ginger

Hi, Angelo.
    Like this?
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2005
    I like your entry Angelo thumb.gifthumb.gif .

Tim
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2005
    Shakey wrote:
    I like your entry Angelo thumb.gifthumb.gif .

Tim
    thanks Tim
  • Options
    DawnLandDawnLand Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2005
    the first one
    Angelo wrote:
    Minimalism?
    17017877-L.jpg

17017881-M.jpg
    The first one is really good and fits minimalism. Very vibrant color and I love the way the tree is only a reflection. dawn