More portraits

sodjdobesodjdobe Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited October 31, 2007 in People
Just a few more of my gf...please share your thoughts on lighting, poses, composition, etc...

IMG_1981-Edit-1-4PS.jpg

IMG_7504-Edit.jpg

IMG_7485-Edit.jpg

Thanks,

Sodjdobe

Comments

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    sodjdobe wrote:
    Just a few more of my gf...please share your thoughts on lighting, poses, composition, etc...Thanks,Sodjdobe

Absolutely beautiful girlfriend/model. Fabulous eyes! She is obviously very comfortable in front of the camera.

How do YOU like the pics? That's what is really important!

Overall I think these are very good shots & I certainly wouldn't have posted otherwise, but you did specifically request thoughts on them.

I like the lighting, but I find the crop distracting. I like the shot with everything below her little finger gone. Actually, I find the hand draws my attention away from her face and that amazing eye.

I find the partial (half-cropped) arms distracting items/angles, at least with only that amount of them showing. Since I don't know the look you were after with this shot I could be off base, but she has such amazing eyes and your lighting has them dark and secondary to her cheek. They do look a bit mysterious, but I think they should be the main subject.

Guess I'm just not a "hands" guy ne_nau.gif
    The camera perspective makes it look like she's got man-hands, which I'm sure she doesn't. Also the hand is in great focus, which pulls my eye away from her face.

Again, take my input with a grain of salt... (without knowing what someone's work looks like to you, how can their input be taken with any weight?)

I think that with this model and your skills, your going to come out with a bunch of killer shots.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work thumb.gif
    Randy
  • knaryknary Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    I'm not a fan of the cropping of the hand in #3, but really really like the dramatic contrast of both tone and texture in her face and hair. It's got some energy in it, emphasized by the composition. #1 is very safe and just not very interesting. #2 would have been a very solid shot without the bit of arm.

I like #3.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Very beautiful and inspiring!
  • m_granitem_granite Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    The last one is not as good in my book like 1 & 2. The upfront face & correct compo is spot on.

Great eye contact at the lens(?)

So #3 s just a bit off in compo. The direction the photo pulls eyes is at her hand passing her face.
    Alex Q.
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    I love the expression and processing in #2. Very engaging portrait! wow.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Are you using a ringlight around you lens ?

Im digging these for sure, very nice job.
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Awesome!
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    The first one is great. Nice PP and conversion.

The second shot is good, but the arm knocks it down a notch for me.

The third one is the weakest of the bunch. I find myself staring at her dark nails. The cropped hand is also distracting.
  • sodjdobesodjdobe Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    Thank you all! I really appreciate your comments and tips!
  • Mrs FMrs F Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    I agree with the cropping comments. I also have to mention that these shots are way better than anything I've ever produced and I really enjoyed looking at your work. Beautiful gf/model and your black and white conversion is sublime. I want to see more of your work!
    C and C always welcome.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    the first is stunning. what I think really makes this one is the pupil of her eye...it is really wide open. Did you have a very dark room in this shot compared to the others?

The second is nice, but her skin is not a flattering
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    The only one I would really change would be the first picture, her hand position, I'm not really liking her fingers curled up. The second one I read someone didn't really like the arm - I don't mind it there, only because you can see her upper arm in the lower part of the frame, and for me I kind of filled in the blanks so-to-say. Nice work! J.Cleveland
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe