Balcony Blues.

ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
edited October 30, 2007 in People
I always harrass my girlfriend into posing for me, today's result:

(I really like the catchlight (that is the right name for it?) in her eyes and her expression, but I realize that I'm a bit biased here, CC appreciated!)

Balcony_Blues_II_by_cainadamsson.jpg
-Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.

Comments

• SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Good picture, however the left eye is out of focus. Perhaps you should've, when you composed the shot, was to take one big step back so that the focus would be sharper.

Yes that's the name of the lights "catch lights"...my problem with those are they are not consistent...there are two in one eye and one in the other.

Her pony-tail (the separation from her head to the tail leaves a white blank strip toward the back...I focused right on that when I opened this picture of.

I do like the angle of the face...the tilt, and the over all expression. Good job on that. Posing people is one of the hardest thing next to making sure everything else looks good.

I still struggle with most of this that I mentioned. Keep on shooting.

Seneca
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Is her name Jennifer Garner? rolleyes1.gifShe's gorgeous! She should pose for you more....

Seneca gave you some GREAT advice... But this is a great shot! Keep it up!
  • photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    agree. the tight crop works, as does the comp. lose the shred of clothing from the shoulder would be my observation. maybe some bounce to the side to get more of those eyes.
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    You've received some great fine tuning points, but I love the feel and expression of this shot. It has a nice grain to it, looks like film. Absolutely stunning model. clap.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Personally, it does kind of bother me that her eye is out of focus, however, the catchlights doesn't bother me a bit. I really like how the left side of the photo is quite bright, moving right, where it's a lot darker.. For my personal taste it manages to balance itself out because of the angle you had photographed her at. I do agree that losing that piece of clothing on her right shoulder would keep my eyes from creeping that direction. I also really like her expression, not an overwhelming smile or a scowl! J.Cleveland
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Hey!

And thank for all your feedback! I really appreciate it! I think I'll bring a tripod the next time, so i can turn the aperture (up?) to f/8-9, I used f/4.5 on this, and that was a bit too shallow. I'll try to do a reshoot one of these days (if i get that great sunset light again ;) ) and try to implement your points! I have a lot to learn and this is just great! Thanks again!
    -Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.