The sign said "No Video Cameras Allowed"

mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
edited October 30, 2007 in People
I guess this person could not read.

213924609-L.jpg

Comments

• PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Well, considering that most comsumer digital cameras have (in one way or another) a way to shooting video, yours was not allowed either? headscratch.gifrolleyes
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    That is a true statement for most folks but not for me, the 40D doesn't take video! It is also why I feel it's a matter of time before they try to ban all cameras from an event like this (marching band compeition).

Video cameras are banned to protect the video vendors sales. Well they have a still photography (not the same company that does the video) vendor but only try to protect half of their image rights. (Whole band pictures are shot in a specific area and they post it off limits to other photographers. I still saw other people snapping away though.)
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    mrcoons wrote:
    Video cameras are banned to protect the video vendors sales.

...and because the musical works being performed are Copyrighted and the bands have most likely only purchased a performance license, not a recording license. BOA (or the video vendor) takes care of purchasing a license to record, but only for themselves not for every spectator. (At least that's they way they explain it.) Though we as photographers are used to 'if we can see it we can photograph it,' the rules are different for music. I don't agree with 'em, but that's the way they apparently are.

I didn't see many spectator video cameras at the Atlanta super-regional, but plenty of us had still cameras. I just wish I'd brought my longer lenses. The BOA site said "no detachable lenses, no lenses over 4 inches" and I wasn't sure how strict the GA Dome 'security' was going to be. They weren't, but by the time I arrived it wa too late to go back home to get my gear.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    What morons
    No detachable lenses?? Big deal. 10x and 12x zooms are commonplace on 6 and 8MP p&s cameras now. 4" lenses??? Hell my whole Canon S3 IS hardly exceeds 4" in any dimension. So many of these requirements and prohibitions are laughingly antiquated.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Icebear wrote:
    No detachable lenses?? Big deal. 10x and 12x zooms are commonplace on 6 and 8MP p&s cameras now. 4" lenses??? Hell my whole Canon S3 IS hardly exceeds 4" in any dimension. So many of these requirements and prohibitions are laughingly antiquated.

I went to a professional thingy and the ticket said, "no lens longer than 75mm focal length" so I pondered...do they mean in 35mm terms or actual focal length - my sony is 195mm in 35mm terms but something like 71.5mm in actual focal length based on the small sensor. As it turned out, at the bag check, security was just looking for booze, not focal lengths...

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    StevenV wrote:
    ...and because the musical works being performed are Copyrighted and the bands have most likely only purchased a performance license, not a recording license. BOA (or the video vendor) takes care of purchasing a license to record, but only for themselves not for every spectator. (At least that's they way they explain it.) Though we as photographers are used to 'if we can see it we can photograph it,' the rules are different for music. I don't agree with 'em, but that's the way they apparently are.

I didn't see many spectator video cameras at the Atlanta super-regional, but plenty of us had still cameras. I just wish I'd brought my longer lenses. The BOA site said "no detachable lenses, no lenses over 4 inches" and I wasn't sure how strict the GA Dome 'security' was going to be. They weren't, but by the time I arrived it wa too late to go back home to get my gear.

This was at the Edwards Jones Dome in St. Louis for the Greater St. Louis competition and they have their staff searching camera bags and purses but they clearly have no idea what they were looking for. My 40D with a 17-40L lens was around my neck and the guard asked me if it was a video camera.

When we went to the area where the bands get photographed the staff in that area immediately started watching me and ignored the P&S folks. I felt persecuted! rolleyes1.gif Once I saw their sign I stepped back to where I thought I was out of their 'space' but they quickly asked me to cease my activity. So I moved to the street and took street shots & area shots. All while the P&S folks were still snapping away!

I've only been to the BOA nationals once and I did see them turn away someone that had 70-200mm lens in the line I was in. They were much more thorough and appeared to know what they were looking for when they searched my bag. Maybe that person was a photographer too though!