Another view from Upper Antelope

argyleargyle Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
edited November 7, 2007 in Landscapes
Depending on the time of day, the colors in this place are amazing. Taken with Canon 5D and 17-40L:

216086392-XL.jpg
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

Comments

• dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Wow! I don't believe I have ever seen it purple before. That is really cool.

Regards and keep posting,

Mike

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    dmmattix wrote:
    Wow! I don't believe I have ever seen it purple before. That is really cool.

Regards and keep posting,

Mike

As argyle said, it all depends on the light...and a little bit on post processing, I might add:-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • CapturedByGraceCapturedByGrace Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Awesome
    that's awesome. Someday I will have to go there.
    clap.gif
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    ohhhhhhh baby
    I'm going in a couple weeks.....whooohooo!
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Argyle- another nice shot. I love those canyons and can't wait to go back.

Swartzy wrote:
    I'm going in a couple weeks.....whooohooo!

Swartzy-

If you haven't already made arrangements check out Overland Canyon Tours for upper antelope canyon. If you pay for the longer tour you get a guide that actually knows about photography. Kdog will attest it was worth it when we did the tour earlier this year. They also offer the only tours of Canyon X but they may already be booked for that one.

Lower Antelope you can get a pass and explore the canyon on your own with out any real time constraints- up to 4 hours for the day and you can even split your time- 2 hours in morning then come back for 2 hours in the afternoon.

My favorite from Upper Antelope

Lower Antelope

Canyon X and X
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • argyleargyle Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Argyle- another nice shot. I love those canyons and can't wait to go back.

Swartzy-

If you haven't already made arrangements check out Overland Canyon Tours for upper antelope canyon. If you pay for the longer tour you get a guide that actually knows about photography. Kdog will attest it was worth it when we did the tour earlier this year. They also offer the only tours of Canyon X but they may already be booked for that one.

Lower Antelope you can get a pass and explore the canyon on your own with out any real time constraints- up to 4 hours for the day and you can even split your time- 2 hours in morning then come back for 2 hours in the afternoon.

My favorite from Upper Antelope

Lower Antelope

Canyon X and X

Thanks Aaron. Really like your upper antelope shot...you must have had a great day for the light beams.

I originally set things up with Overland Canyon Tours, but after checking in with them prior to my leaving Texas I didn't hear back after several calls. I decided to use Chief Tsosie as the guide and it was excellent. I didn't have time to get to lower antelope...I guess it gives me a good reason to go back. :D
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    argyle wrote:
    Thanks Aaron. Really like your upper antelope shot...you must have had a great day for the light beams.

I originally set things up with Overland Canyon Tours, but after checking in with them prior to my leaving Texas I didn't hear back after several calls. I decided to use Chief Tsosie as the guide and it was excellent. I didn't have time to get to lower antelope...I guess it gives me a good reason to go back. :D

Sorry to hear about your issue with them. We used them for both Upper Antelope and Canyon X and had a great experience. We hit Upper Antelope from 10 am to 1 pm. Tht shot was the first big room you come into and we waited for one of the other tours to come through and then leave. All the dust they kicked up gave us plenty of light tubes. I got this by practically laying in the sand on one side of the canyon and shooting up towards the opposite side (everyone else was standing and shooting the tubes straight on)mwink.gif .

If you go back post the date you'll be there. I would enjoy going back again. Do you have a gallery up yet of your shots from there?
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
    edited October 31, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Sorry to hear about your issue with them. We used them for both Upper Antelope and Canyon X and had a great experience. We hit Upper Antelope from 10 am to 1 pm. Tht shot was the first big room you come into and we waited for one of the other tours to come through and then leave. All the dust they kicked up gave us plenty of light tubes. I got this by practically laying in the sand on one side of the canyon and shooting up towards the opposite side (everyone else was standing and shooting the tubes straight on)mwink.gif .

If you go back post the date you'll be there. I would enjoy going back again. Do you have a gallery up yet of your shots from there?

It really wasn't a big deal...when I go back, I'll probably look them up since I'd like to do the Canyon X shoot. I originally planned on doing X, but I lucked out in the lottery and got a permit for the Wave. By the time we made it to the Wave, shadows had taken hold, so my only option was to shoot a bunch of abstract-type photos of the graceful curves.

Haven't put up a gallery yet...still working on culling and processing. I shot about 16 gigs in 8 days...have a long way to go. When I get enough up, I'll let you know.

I'll probably wait until spring time to head back to Antelope...the good light in upper right now is about done. I'm hoping for a long weekend then to do upper/lower and Canyon X.
    edited November 7, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    As argyle said, it all depends on the light...and a little bit on post processing, I might add:-)

It was late in October, and as you got deeper into the canyon, the rocks began to take on a purple tone. I just boosted the saturation a bit to bring out the purple. I'm sure that as the sun gets higher up in the summer months, the colors would change somewhat and take on more of the reddish tones. Guess I'll just have to go back again next summer and do a comparison. :photo