Options

Schneller & Son Brewery

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited October 30, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
I never quite know where architectural shots are supposed to go. :scratch But anyway....

Just a quick run through a little-known town with an old beer brewery. I hung on for the ride but ended up pleasantly surprised! While not the best preserved or architecturally complex structure, this place had heart.

We had gotten a late start this day and had plans to catch the sweet light in another location, so I only had about an hour to poke around and get a feel for the place. That meant not a lot of time to get bearings and "see" the shots.

While local transients have made their mark on this place over the years, whispers of the original company still exist here. As the light fell, it presented some interesting challenges and sometimes lovely shadows.

Walking on Rainbows
214737200-M-2.jpg

Square Peg in a Round Hole
214738256-L-2.jpg

Two Pipes
214739453-L-2.jpg

"... and Now There's Just a Space"
214738674-L-2.jpg

Duck and Cover!
214737786-L-2.jpg

Feedback and CC are encouraged. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited October 29, 2007
    Two Pipes and Duck and Cover - Sweeeeet Lightthumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2007
    Only you can take 2 rusty pipes and turn it into a wallhanger. bowdown.gif
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    I never quite know where architectural shots are supposed to go. headscratch.gif But anyway....

Just a quick run through a little-known town with an old beer brewery. I hung on for the ride but ended up pleasantly surprised! While not the best preserved or architecturally complex structure, this place had heart.

We had gotten a late start this day and had plans to catch the sweet light in another location, so I only had about an hour to poke around and get a feel for the place. That meant not a lot of time to get bearings and "see" the shots.

While local transients have made their mark on this place over the years, whispers of the original company still exist here. As the light fell, it presented some interesting challenges and sometimes lovely shadows.

Rainbows
    Square Peg in a Round Hole
    Two Pipes
    "... and Now There's Just a Space"
    Duck and Cover!

Feedback and CC are encouraged. Thanks!

Schmooo you make even the most derelict places looks fabulous! clap.gif

What have they done in the 2nd and 4th pictures?
    Cut a hole completely through the floor??
    If so can you see why they did it ???

I love the colours and pattern of the bricks in the first image.

My favourites are #2 & #4 :D
    B&W works extremely well for those kind of shots.

Excellent Post thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    What have they done in the 2nd and 4th pictures?
    Cut a hole completely through the floor??
    If so can you see why they did it ???

This is where the brewing vats were. So, the floor was built around several 4-5 story barrels. When they shut down the brewery they probably sold off the vats. Leaves big nasty holes in the floors :): This shot is from a different brewery, but a similar situation and can give you another perspective on them (less artistic). It was taken from the ground floor with a 10-22.
    Travis
  • Options
    ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    This gets me going! godlike!
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    zweiblumen wrote:
    This is where the brewing vats were. So, the floor was built around several 4-5 story barrels. When they shut down the brewery they probably sold off the vats. Leaves big nasty holes in the floors :): This shot is from a different brewery, but a similar situation and can give you another perspective on them (less artistic). It was taken from the ground floor with a 10-22.

Ahhhhhh thanks for that Mr Zweiblumen other half of Schmooo :D
    The hole looked wayyyyyy too neat nod.gif figured something had to have been there.

.... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Great images. I haven't visited the Other Cool Shots forum much, since the birth of Holy Macro. I should stop by more often. I really like the bricks, and the 2 pipes!clap.gif

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • Options
    Dave CleeDave Clee Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Great pics and looks like a real cool place to walk around..

Curious if you used a bit of fill flash in any of them ??

Cheers

Dave
    Still searching for the light...

http://www.daveclee.com

Nikon D3 and a bunch of nikkor gear
    that has added up over the years :wink
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2007
    Dave, I am one very poorly-equipped photographer. So no fill flash. :D

Thanks guys, and tlee we miss ya! ;)
  • Options
    Pixel PopperPixel Popper Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Brilliant!
    Schmoo!

Great work, as usual. As I said about your work in another post, you have the most remarkable eye for finding the truth in a thing.

And I also think you have developed quite an enduring fan club!!!! bowdown.gif

-Howard
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2007
    And I also think you have developed quite an enduring fan club!!!! bowdown.gif

I sincerely hope that is not the case! I'm here to learn how to improve, so I need to have Dgrinners smacking my shots down every now and then. :D
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    These are really nice shots. thumb.gif My education continues just seeing them! :D
    Michael
    Michael
  • Options
    Pixel PopperPixel Popper Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    I sincerely hope that is not the case! I'm here to learn how to improve, so I need to have Dgrinners smacking my shots down every now and then. :D

No worries! :D I think people can admire your work and still offer a critical eye at the same time, when warranted.

We all have more to learn. I just meant that I think your work is ahead of the curve.thumb.gif