Family Portrait Shoot

GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
edited October 30, 2007 in People
So I attempted my first famly portrait session today. I'm quite frustrated. My new lens was apparently a bad choice for this shoot as it's clarity is apparently not equal to my other lenses (Nikon 18-55mm). On top of that, I haven't mastered fill flash and am not certain if it's me or the flash (most likely me). So, I have some blown out highlights, a not-so-perfect background, quite a bit of blur and what else...hmmmm, c& c please!

214782396-M-2.jpg

214783974-M-2.jpg

214784656-M-2.jpg

214785130-M-2.jpg

214787411-M-2.jpg

Thanks! Emily
Emily
Psalm 62:5-6

Comments

• Mrs FMrs F Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Emily,

#1 is my favorite. It had nice posing, exposure and sharpness. I also like your conversion.

You have a nice casual shot in #2, but the conversion or lighting isn't working for me. The skin tones are a little dark and the overall image seems flat.

You mentioned the blown highlights in your intro and I agree that it was detrimental to some of the shots, particularly the Dad's forehead in #3.

They're a beautiful family and you did a nice job in spite of the challenges you mention.
    C and C always welcome.
  • Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    I agree #1 is a very nice family photo. But it needs to pop a bit more =)
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Maybe you just haven't found that "sweet" spot on your new lens??? These look pretty good to me, but it's hard to tell for sure. The flash looks a little strong perhaps. I am not digging the sepia (and I like sepia!) processing you did on these. There is not enough contrast and it makes the shots look flat. I am leaning towards #2 and #4, though perhaps not as technically good as #1, they are more relaxed and natural and I like the lighting behind them. I don't see a problem with your backgrounds, #2 is quite pretty. It's really difficult in shooting a large number of people to keep your eye on all of those possible 'problems', particularly random spots of light. I think you did quite well for your first outing!
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Thank you so much for the input everyone. It is truly appreciated. I will definitely be doing more pp with these as I can see now that contrast, etc. is an issue. I rushed them last night but will go back and take more time.

I know I have a long way to go to be outstanding with this, but it was an important first step for me, so thank you for being so supportive!

Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6