Options

Raw--where is my sepia color?

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited October 30, 2007 in Finishing School
I have taken some photos in sepia and when they come up into my Raw in CS3 they are in color. Why and how can I do my edits on the sepia photo I took? Do I just have to work with my jpeg?

Mary

Comments

• Options
    lempinetlempinet Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Dogdots wrote:
    I have taken some photos in sepia and when they come up into my Raw in CS3 they are in color. Why and how can I do my edits on the sepia photo I took? Do I just have to work with my jpeg?
    The RAW file is what comes directly from the sensor without any correction done by the camera. Settings like sharpening, color saturation or sepia are only used by the camera to render the JPG file, they have no effect at the RAW file. With the RAW file you always keep the possibility to do any correction you like on the computer. For getting sepia colored photos from RAW, you just need to develop the photos with a RAW converter capable of doing that or you can output a color photo from RAW and make it sepia in photoshop. Or just use the sepia photo from the camera.

Kristof
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2007
    lempinet wrote:
    The RAW file is what comes directly from the sensor without any correction done by the camera. Settings like sharpening, color saturation or sepia are only used by the camera to render the JPG file, they have no effect at the RAW file. With the RAW file you always keep the possibility to do any correction you like on the computer. For getting sepia colored photos from RAW, you just need to develop the photos with a RAW converter capable of doing that or you can output a color photo from RAW and make it sepia in photoshop. Or just use the sepia photo from the camera.

Kristof

How do I make the Raw photo sepia in CS3?
  • Options
    lempinetlempinet Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Dogdots wrote:
    How do I make the Raw photo sepia in CS3?
    In ACR 4.2 (the RAW Converter of PS CS3) got to the HSL/Grayscale tab and check "convert to grayscale" then go to the split toning tab, pull the balance to +100 and for the highlights choose a setting like Hue: 30-45 and Saturation:40 for example. Thats just one way of making a photo sepia. Instead of using the split toning feature you could open the greyscale photo in photoshop and make it sepia there ("Color/Saturation" for example)

Kristof
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2007
    lempinet wrote:
    In ACR 4.2 (the RAW Converter of PS CS3) got to the HSL/Grayscale tab and check "convert to grayscale" then go to the split toning tab, pull the balance to +100 and for the highlights choose a setting like Hue: 30-45 and Saturation:40 for example. Thats just one way of making a photo sepia. Instead of using the split toning feature you could open the greyscale photo in photoshop and make it sepia there ("Color/Saturation" for example)

Kristof

Thanks a bunch---I will try it.
  • Options
    dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Dogdots wrote:
    Thanks a bunch---I will try it.

Another neat reason to get Lightroom is that it ships with a number of presets that can give you a variety of B/W conversions with one click in the develop section.

Regards,

Mike

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2007
    dmmattix wrote:
    Another neat reason to get Lightroom is that it ships with a number of presets that can give you a variety of B/W conversions with one click in the develop section.

Regards,

Mike

-There are so many neat reasons :D