Options

What to look for in a monitor

dbrannendbrannen Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited October 30, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
I have been looking for a new monitor and I realize that this subject has been beat to death here but I have a question anyway.
What specs are important to you and why? (for photo editing, CS3 & Lightroom)
For example;
Maximum resolution...Is 1680 x 1050 accepteble?
Contrast Ratio...Is 1000:1 acceptable
Response time...Is 6ms acceptable?
Viewing angle...178 in V and H acceptable?

Anything else that you consider critical? I would like to spend no more than $700.00 if possible, NEC has several models available in the 19 to 21" range available at prices below this.

Thank you in advance for your help!

David Brannen
www.dbphotopro.com

Comments

• Options
    NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    dbrannen wrote:
    I have been looking for a new monitor and I realize that this subject has been beat to death here but I have a question anyway.
    What specs are important to you and why? (for photo editing, CS3 & Lightroom)
    For example;
    Maximum resolution...Is 1680 x 1050 accepteble?
    Works good for me on my 21" widescreen.

Contrast Ratio...Is 1000:1 acceptable
    Most of these stated ratios are stretching of the truth. S-PVA panels in particular have the highest stated contrast ratios but one of the comments by users is that some panels seem to "crush" the blacks. I would agree with that as a user of a Samsung 215TW S-PVA monitor. It is a small issue but noticeable. Detail is hidden in dark areas viewed straight on.

Response time...Is 6ms acceptable?
    My monitor is stated as 8ms and it is quite usable for gaming. For an old guy, I "own". ;) If you don't game or watch video/TV on your monitor, it is unimportant.

Viewing angle...178 in V and H acceptable?
    Irrelevant. What you should be asking is if there is an S-IPS, AS-IPS or S-PVA panel in the monitor. The S-IPS and AS-IPS panels show the least amount of gamma/colour shift when you have your face up close to the screen pixel peeping while editing. S-PVA are a close second.

Anything else that you consider critical? I would like to spend no more than $700.00 if possible, NEC has several models available in the 19 to 21" range available at prices below this.

Thank you in advance for your help!

David Brannen
    www.dbphotopro.com
    Most NEC's are great units from what I've seen and read. Be carefull with the part numbering scheme as what looks to be a bargain price on a model is actually a cheaper TN panel where the more expensive "same name" units have AS-IPS, S-IPS, or S-PVA panels in them and maybe 10 or 12 bit LUT's (Look Up Tables) instead of 6 or 8 bit LUT's.

example: (from http://www.flatpanels.dk/panels.php)
    NEC LCD2070NX has a 20 inch 16 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM201U04) panel.
    NEC LCD2070NX-BK has a 20 inch 16 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM201U04) panel.
    NEC LCD2070VX has a 20 inch 5 ms TN panel.
    NEC LCD2070VX-BK has a 20 inch 5 ms TN panel.
    NEC LCD2070WNX (widescreen) has a 20 inch 10 ms TN panel.
    NEC LCD2070WNX-BK (widescreen) has a 20 inch 10 ms TN panel.

You get what you pay for. Get something your eyes can live with.