New to photography...need advice

merbabymerbaby Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited October 30, 2007 in People
I just got a Canon Rebel....and i'm just learning how to shoot
pics of children and use the camera...
It is all a little overwhelming!!!!
Here is one of my first pics of my nephew...."boy with the longest lashes!"
I'd appreciate any and all advice.
(I also just learned how to convert color to b&w...)
Thankshttp://www.dgrin.com/images/smilies/bowdown.gif

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    Welcome to the DGRIN people board!!

That is a pretty good shot, and definately long lashes!.

First I would say that the very best thing you can do at this stage is to learn the functions of your camera. THe Rebel XT is a very good one, and you should get many years of service from it. I personally shoot in the AV mode most often. This gives me control over what is in focus, and what isn't, but that particular mode is only one of many. I am sure you will eventually find what settings work best for your tastes and style of shooting.

As with any other type of photography, the knowledge of how the equipment operates is only a part of the photographic equation. Composition plays an part that is just as cricial to a good photograph. The best way to learn more about composition is to look deeply at other's photos and study what you like/ don't like. Often a different angle is all that is required to change a photo from snapshot to stunning.

As for this photo you posted, I like it very much, and only have two negative things to say.

1. It appears a little soft around the eyes. Be careful of where you focus. In portraits, the eyes are a good place to focus. I would turn off all but the center focus point. Focus, recompose, shoot.

2. Reguardless of the softness it is a nice photograph, so suppose you wanted to print it in a 5x7 or 8x10 format. In this case, you would have to lose either his hands, or part of his head to the crop. It isn't always easy to keep this in mind, but if you can dicipline yourself early, you will more often than not leave room around your subjects for crops without thinking about it.

All in all it is a very nice photograph, and I thank you for sharing it.

And again welcome to the Forum.
  • merbabymerbaby Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 30, 2007
    Thanks for the great advice....
    I agree...
    Question-How do you turn off all but the center focus?
    Also i found i so hard to chase down that 2 year old and get any focus at all.
    I took about 135 pictures and i have maybe 5 good ones....
    That was a lot of work!
    Maybe i should try an older model..
    thanks again
  • DizzleDizzle Registered Users Posts: 240 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    merbaby wrote:
    I agree...
    That was a lot of work!
    thanks again

That seems to be about my success rate as well with the younger kids :)

That is a really great photo. The advice given above is spot on.

The best thing you can do is just play with all the settings on your XT. I currently shoot with an XT, soon to be an XTi and finding that right spot for focus was a chore at first, but I soon found the key.

If you follow the tips in the manual on how to set the focus points you will be cruising...not having my cam in front of me I can only try to tell you how...

There is a button on the back, about where your thumb would be that has a crosshatch on it. If you press that button and then turn the wheel that is directly in front of the shutter release you will see the focus point change through the view finder and you can select the focus point you want to use.

The manual or even other post on this forum can explain that better...I just started using it myself.
    Dizzle
    DeNic Photography | Portfolio | Group Blog
    Canon 50D | 50 1.8 | 17-50 2.8 | 70-200 4L
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2007
    merbaby wrote:
    I agree...
    That was a lot of work!
    thanks again

Just be glad you are shooting with a digital and not film. I wasted a lot of film and money teaching myself to shoot b&w film!

Part of his hair is also blown out or over exposed. When you start getting more familiar with things you need to look at the lighting- it is one of the most important factors of any photograph.

Keep shooting and welcome to dgrin.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • merbabymerbaby Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 30, 2007
    Wow.....you guys are great!
    I was pretty scared to actually put up one of my pictures...
    or even to show them to anyone.
    I did see that on his hair and tried to tone it down...but then it made the picture too dark.
    I guess that the sun was hitting his head even thought we were in the shade.
    Now i am realizing more things like that...
    So, do i just keep posting pics here and getting advice?
    you all were so helpful!