Options

Eye-Fi Wifi Memory Cards

13»

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited March 20, 2009
    swcolleen wrote:
    Thanks! That makes perfect sense and makes this eye-fi card look even more appealing!!
    It's an incredibly cool product.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    swcolleenswcolleen Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2009
    Since this seems to be the eye-fi discussion thread, I am wondering if anyone else had problems using it with a Canon XS.

When I first put it in, it wanted me to format it. I then put it in my pentax w30 camera to try it and it worked fine. I then put it back in my canon with the intention of formatting it in the Canon but now it tells me error 02 and to replace the card-not even an option to format.

Its not the end of the world for me, as I can obviously use it in my point and shoot pocket cam. I bought this because I had a gift card and it looked like something "fun" and with the free geotagging special b/c of smugmug I couldn't resist. I would love it to work in my Canon but I have heard mixed reviews on people losing their images and I would be willing to take the risk with my point and shoot more than my canon.

I tried looking on the eye-fi forum too but didn't find anything more there so I thought I would try here!

Thanks!!
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,847 moderator
    edited March 30, 2009
    swcolleen wrote:
    Since this seems to be the eye-fi discussion thread, I am wondering if anyone else had problems using it with a Canon XS.

When I first put it in, it wanted me to format it. I then put it in my pentax w30 camera to try it and it worked fine. I then put it back in my canon with the intention of formatting it in the Canon but now it tells me error 02 and to replace the card-not even an option to format.

Its not the end of the world for me, as I can obviously use it in my point and shoot pocket cam. I bought this because I had a gift card and it looked like something "fun" and with the free geotagging special b/c of smugmug I couldn't resist. I would love it to work in my Canon but I have heard mixed reviews on people losing their images and I would be willing to take the risk with my point and shoot more than my canon.

I tried looking on the eye-fi forum too but didn't find anything more there so I thought I would try here!

Thanks!!

I suspect it is a formatting problem but I would contact the manufacturer for a more definitive answer. Note that they have a "Web Input Form" to ask questions directly:

http://support.eye.fi/contact/
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    gillatgillat Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    Guys, totally sorry for not seeing this thread.

Yes, Ziggy53 is right -- it's a formatting problem, and not an Eye-Fi issue. Canon has a different format requirement, from SD cards, so it needs to see a different FAT or FAT32 partition table. Just format the card in your camera, and you'll be all set. The XS SHOULD let you format the card, our card, or any other SD card.

If not, let me know. We have many users with the XS or XSi or T1i.

Thx

ziggy53 wrote:
    I suspect it is a formatting problem but I would contact the manufacturer for a more definitive answer. Note that they have a "Web Input Form" to ask questions directly:

http://support.eye.fi/contact/
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2009
    gillat wrote:
    Guys, totally sorry for not seeing this thread.

Yes, Ziggy53 is right -- it's a formatting problem, and not an Eye-Fi issue. Canon has a different format requirement, from SD cards, so it needs to see a different FAT or FAT32 partition table. Just format the card in your camera, and you'll be all set. The XS SHOULD let you format the card, our card, or any other SD card.

If not, let me know. We have many users with the XS or XSi or T1i.

Thx

I will try this when I get home tonight. thanks
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2009
    cool, let me know :-)
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2009
    gillat wrote:
    cool, let me know :-)

i know this may be a stupid question but when i put it in to format-it tells me it will erase all data (which I understand) but will that get rid of anything that is specific to the eye-fi card that it NEEDS to be on there? I don't want to turn this card into a dud. its not worth that since I can use it in my point and shoot.
    thanks
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2009
    swcolleen wrote:
    i know this may be a stupid question but when i put it in to format-it tells me it will erase all data (which I understand) but will that get rid of anything that is specific to the eye-fi card that it NEEDS to be on there? I don't want to turn this card into a dud. its not worth that since I can use it in my point and shoot.
    thanks

The eye-fi components should not be hurt in any way....I am sure they buit in their hardware to be imperious to standard formating of the cards as this truly needs to be done everytime you download to your computer to empty the card....then you should format so the camera does not get confused and mix pixels into other files.....yup happened to me once and that was the only thing I could figure was I had not formattedthe card and my camera at the time was writing pixels inot the other files.....from a different camera nd different shoot.....I had landscapes and lake scapes with bits and pieces of zoo animals.....wish I had kept the files cause after getting rid of them I realized how cool they may have been as abstracts......

STILL WAITING ON THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF AN EYE-FI CF CARD.................:cry:cry
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited September 5, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    The eye-fi components should not be hurt in any way....I am sure they buit in their hardware to be imperious to standard formating of the cards as this truly needs to be done everytime you download to your computer to empty the card....then you should format so the camera does not get confused and mix pixels into other files.....yup happened to me once and that was the only thing I could figure was I had not formattedthe card and my camera at the time was writing pixels inot the other files.....from a different camera nd different shoot.....I had landscapes and lake scapes with bits and pieces of zoo animals.....wish I had kept the files cause after getting rid of them I realized how cool they may have been as abstracts......

STILL WAITING ON THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF AN EYE-FI CF CARD.................:cry:cry

Thanks. I don't usually mix my cards up between cameras and always format before the first itme I use it-and occasionally if a random problem occurs but I never do it every time and hadn't had a problem but never occurred to me that on the rare camera "acting up" that formatting more would prevent that.

I would hope that formatting doesn't kill the eye-fi part-I am just nervous lol
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2009
    Art is absolutely right -- formatting doesn't hurt us at all. In fact, I recommend to anyone that shoots important photos (and usually, photos are important), to format the card before each shoot. This is the case with Eye-Fi Cards or not. Formatting is great for cards. It cleans the file system, recreates the partition and boot blocks, and if there are any bad sectors, the controller is forced to map those out. They'll never be written to in the future. So yes, to summarize -- formatting often is goodness :-)

You'll never lose your Wi-Fi settings. We store all the SSID's and WEP or WPA keys in a private partition that you can't see or access. So no worries there.
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2009
    gillat wrote:
    Art is absolutely right -- formatting doesn't hurt us at all. In fact, I recommend to anyone that shoots important photos (and usually, photos are important), to format the card before each shoot. This is the case with Eye-Fi Cards or not. Formatting is great for cards. It cleans the file system, recreates the partition and boot blocks, and if there are any bad sectors, the controller is forced to map those out. They'll never be written to in the future. So yes, to summarize -- formatting often is goodness :-)

You'll never lose your Wi-Fi settings. We store all the SSID's and WEP or WPA keys in a private partition that you can't see or access. So no worries there.

Great Thanks! I will definately give it a shot and let you know. It was the eye-fi specific stuff I was worried about. And thanks for the info on formatting cards too-def gonna get myself into that habit too now!!
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2009
    Great, ya, most people just erase-all, and they keep erasing-all, which eventually, is bound to cause data-corruption. Pros and prosumers get in the habit of formatting immediately upon insertion of the card into the DSLR, as a form of habit. If you keep formatting, you'll probably never have file corruption. I shoot hundreds of thousands of images per year, and never run into any issues.
  • Options
    edited September 16, 2009
    gillat wrote:
    Great, ya, most people just erase-all, and they keep erasing-all, which eventually, is bound to cause data-corruption. Pros and prosumers get in the habit of formatting immediately upon insertion of the card into the DSLR, as a form of habit. If you keep formatting, you'll probably never have file corruption. I shoot hundreds of thousands of images per year, and never run into any issues.
    <!--EndFragment-->

Ok-I tried went home and tried to format the eye fi card in my Canon xs and it wouldn't let me even try this time. It told me that there was a problem with the card and I couldn't do anything. So, back to the point and shoot camera my eye-fi goes:(

I will try again another time since I know at least once before it allowed me to get to the format menu.

Any ideas on why it gave me that error? Thanks!!
  • Options
    swcolleen wrote:
    Ok-I tried went home and tried to format the eye fi card in my Canon xs and it wouldn't let me even try this time. It told me that there was a problem with the card and I couldn't do anything. So, back to the point and shoot camera my eye-fi goes:(

I will try again another time since I know at least once before it allowed me to get to the format menu.

Any ideas on why it gave me that error? Thanks!!

Can you give us the exact error the camera displayed?

Which version of the card do you have again?
    ziggy53
  • Options
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Can you give us the exact error the camera displayed?

Which version of the card do you have again?

Error 02
    There is a problem with your card.

I have Eye-fI share 2GB card.

For the record I have ONLY had problems with this in my Canon xs. I use it with no problems in my Pentex Opto W30 point and shoot camera.
  • Options
    swcolleen wrote:
    Error 02
    There is a problem with your card.

I have Eye-fI share 2GB card.

For the record I have ONLY had problems with this in my Canon xs. I use it with no problems in my Pentex Opto W30 point and shoot camera.

I suspect that the Pentax is formatting the card with a structure that the Canon camera cannot understand. I think that you may have to format the card in a computer using FAT-16 structure.

If true that would mean that you might have to reformat that card on a computer to FAT-16 after its use on the Pentax and before use in the Canon XS camera.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I suspect that the Pentax is formatting the card with a structure that the Canon camera cannot understand. I think that you may have to format the card in a computer using FAT-16 structure.

If true that would mean that you might have to reformat that card on a computer to FAT-16 after its use on the Pentax and before use in the Canon XS camera.

ok thanks. I will give it a shot this weekend and report back!
  • Options
    edited September 17, 2009
    swcolleen wrote:
    ok thanks. I will give it a shot this weekend and report back!

So Ziggy is probably right, but the strange thing is -- the Canon camera should at least let you format the card. I agree that it may be unhappy, after the card was formatted and used by another camera, and this has nothing to do with Eye-Fi. But the Canon DSLR should at least let you format. It'll complain, but if you go into the Format menu, you should be able to format it.

That said, Ziggy was also right about formatting the card in the PC or Mac, first, and then trying it in the XS...

But this is strange. We have tons of users with that camera, and they're not having this problem... :-(

When you're in the Format menu item, is it not letting you format the card? Or did you not find the Format menu item, in the Canon's menus?

Looking forward to your reply --

Ziv.
  • Options
    gillat wrote:
    So Ziggy is probably right, but the strange thing is -- the Canon camera should at least let you format the card. I agree that it may be unhappy, after the card was formatted and used by another camera, and this has nothing to do with Eye-Fi. But the Canon DSLR should at least let you format. It'll complain, but if you go into the Format menu, you should be able to format it.

That said, Ziggy was also right about formatting the card in the PC or Mac, first, and then trying it in the XS...

But this is strange. We have tons of users with that camera, and they're not having this problem... :-(

When you're in the Format menu item, is it not letting you format the card? Or did you not find the Format menu item, in the Canon's menus?

Ziv.

Colleen, to paraphrase what Ziv is saying, can you ignore the error message, go to the format menu and attempt to format the card in the camera?
    ziggy53
  • Options
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Colleen, to paraphrase what Ziv is saying, can you ignore the error message, go to the format menu and attempt to format the card in the camera?

nope-can't ignore the error message. It won't let me do anything but turn it off and take the card out.

I remember this happened when I first got the card too-which is why I originally posted and then I used it fine in the pentax so I figured it was the canon.

I will try to format the card in the computer this evening and get back to you unless I hear something else from you first lol:) thanks again!!
  • Options
    swcolleen wrote:
    nope-can't ignore the error message. It won't let me do anything but turn it off and take the card out.

I remember this happened when I first got the card too-which is why I originally posted and then I used it fine in the pentax so I figured it was the canon.

I will try to format the card in the computer this evening and get back to you unless I hear something else from you first lol:) thanks again!!

Please keep us posted. Do you have another 4GB SD card that you could stick into the Pentax, format in the Pentx, take some photos, and then put it into the Canon? There is no way that the card is bad because it works in the Pentax. So maybe it's a mechanical thing, or maybe you have an old firmware in the XS, that doesn't read SDHC cards? Lets try to debug using another non Eye-Fi Card, but please make sure it's 4GB...

Ziv.
  • Options
    gillat wrote:
    Please keep us posted. Do you have another 4GB SD card that you could stick into the Pentax, format in the Pentx, take some photos, and then put it into the Canon? There is no way that the card is bad because it works in the Pentax. So maybe it's a mechanical thing, or maybe you have an old firmware in the XS, that doesn't read SDHC cards? Lets try to debug using another non Eye-Fi Card, but please make sure it's 4GB...

Ziv.

Will play around this weekend. Why does it have to be 4GB? I only have 2GB cards including my eye-fi one...
  • Options
    edited September 18, 2009
    swcolleen wrote:
    Will play around this weekend. Why does it have to be 4GB? I only have 2GB cards including my eye-fi one...

No prob. If your Eye-Fi card is 2GB, that's fine. I thought that maybe you have an old firmware in your XS, which didn't read SDHC cards, and that you had a 4GB Eye-Fi SDHC card...

Keep me posted :-)
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2009
    gillat wrote:
    No prob. If your Eye-Fi card is 2GB, that's fine. I thought that maybe you have an old firmware in your XS, which didn't read SDHC cards, and that you had a 4GB Eye-Fi SDHC card...

Keep me posted :-)

Ok so I did as you suggested-played with both cards and was able to get the eye-fi card formatted in the canon and it seemed to work:) I started with the non eye-fi card and took pics in the pentax, then put it in the canon and took pics (without formatting first just to see what would happen)-had no problems. swapped it back to pentax still no problems.

Then took the eye-fi card (before formating on the PC) just to try it one more time...this time it said could not read folder but it DID let me get to the menu where I could format-and I did successfully. Took a few pics-uploaded and had no problems. WEIRD!!

So, all in all it seems like it works and I should be able to use the card in either camera as long as I can format it for the correct camera before use lol. Thanks for all the help-still not sure why it wouldn't let me even format it before hand-but its not the end of the world.

I know this is not really the thread for this but, does anyone know where to find camera firmware info on the canon xs? I thought it was in the menu but couldn't find it.

Anyway-thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it!
  • Options
    swcolleen wrote:
    Ok so I did as you suggested-played with both cards and was able to get the eye-fi card formatted in the canon and it seemed to work:) I started with the non eye-fi card and took pics in the pentax, then put it in the canon and took pics (without formatting first just to see what would happen)-had no problems. swapped it back to pentax still no problems.

Then took the eye-fi card (before formating on the PC) just to try it one more time...this time it said could not read folder but it DID let me get to the menu where I could format-and I did successfully. Took a few pics-uploaded and had no problems. WEIRD!!

So, all in all it seems like it works and I should be able to use the card in either camera as long as I can format it for the correct camera before use lol. Thanks for all the help-still not sure why it wouldn't let me even format it before hand-but its not the end of the world.

I know this is not really the thread for this but, does anyone know where to find camera firmware info on the canon xs? I thought it was in the menu but couldn't find it.

Anyway-thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it!

Scratch my last question-I got it:) Just updated my firmware too so I think I should be good:) Thank you so much!
  • Options
    swcolleen wrote:
    ... I know this is not really the thread for this but, does anyone know where to find camera firmware info on the canon xs? ...

The Q&A portion of this page has what you want:

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/firm-e/eosdigital5/firmware.html
    ziggy53
  • Options
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The Q&A portion of this page has what you want:

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/firm-e/eosdigital5/firmware.html

Thanks! Exactly what I had needed!
  • Options
    edited September 21, 2009
    Awesome. Ziggy, thanks a lot for your help...