New Dgrinner/Rookie Macroer

46thga46thga Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited November 6, 2007 in Holy Macro
Hi -

I bought a Nikon D80 in March 2007, and have been trying to learn about digital photography and macro photography.

I shot these recently with a 50mm 1.8 Nikkor and a total of 48mm Kenko tubes. I've seen some graet dragonfly pix here and at dpreview. Are those typically taken with a dedicated, longer macro lens in order to achieve the working distance I assume you need for such skittish creatures?

213171232-XL.jpg

213171329-XL.jpg

213276592-XL.jpg

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    Hi welcome to the forum :)

Lovely mantid shots .
    Think you have found one of the problems with a 50mm lens and ext tubes- the focus distances are a bit close for many dragonflies . You can use a normal macro lens for dragonflies but the focus distance may still be too close for really skittish ones. Think many people actually use longer telephotos (200-300mm) with ext tubes for those. I don't have too much poblem with the dragonflies and butterflies I get in my garden just using my 105mm Ex macro lens but I'm fairly good at not scaring bugs plus I suspect the dragonflies are a bit tamer.

Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    nod.gif
    46thga wrote:
    Hi -

I bought a Nikon D80 in March 2007, and have been trying to learn about digital photography and macro photography.

I shot these recently with a 50mm 1.8 Nikkor and a total of 48mm Kenko tubes. I've seen some graet dragonfly pix here and at dpreview. Are those typically taken with a dedicated, longer macro lens in order to achieve the working distance I assume you need for such skittish creatures?

Nice work 46thga .... your little friend was even happy enough to
    eat dinner while you continued to take photos :D

Extention tubes come in handy for use with so many lenses.
    They work really well, as we can see with your images.

That second shot is a real beauty clap.gif
    Looks like your doing a excellent job to me at learning MACRO.

Welcome to the Dgrin Forum, I'm sure you will learn plenty in this new MACRO Forum
    .... don't forget to look at very first entry inside HOLY MACRO
    there you will find an excellent set of MACRO TUTORIALS,
    by our very own Brian Valentine

Brian Valentine - SmugMug Artist-in-Residence

Excellent first post clap.gif .... keep them coming.... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • 46thga46thga Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    Thanks Skippy.

I have SO MANY shots that are "ALMOST OK" shots. Somehow, everything came together for these.

He/She was quite patient with me, but there are some shots I took a bit later than these, where I'm getting the "you are next" look, so I knew it was growing tired of posing.

Thanks for the tip about Brian's macro course. I've looked at it briefly and will certainy go through it.

Thanks again.
    edited October 31, 2007
    Thanks Brian!

Your photos are so wonderful and inspiring. I enjoyed looking through your galleries.

Christmas is approaching, and if I can continue to be a good boy, I'm hoping to have a Sigma 105mm macro lens under the tree. I've enjoyd the tubes and the 50mm, but a dedicated macro lens would allow me to do more.

Thanks again.
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    46thga wrote:
    Hi -

I've seen some graet dragonfly pix here and at dpreview. Are those typically taken with a dedicated, longer macro lens in order to achieve the working distance I assume you need for such skittish creatures?

Well done on the mantis! :cool

I wrote an article on shooting dragonflies that might help. There are some species that are easier to get close to than others, but you can use just about anything to photograph them provided the critter lets you get close.

IMHO working distance is a myth because there are basically two types of insects: Those that will let you get close and those that won't. If you are patient, and can keep your movements slow and even, then it's up to the critter if you can photograph it or not.

You can use a standard macro lens and a diopter for closeups so that you can get sharp detail and really good bokeh like this:

158596135-L.jpg

165725083-L.jpg

You can also use a diopter with a telephoto lens. Granted a telephoto will usually give you good bokeh by itself most of the time, but telephoto lenses do not focus well when shooting close to the subject -they are designed to focus best toward infinity. A diopter will make a telephoto lens sharp at minimum focus. Here are some examples:

169387307-L.jpg

169833250-L.jpg

For life size and higher you could go with a standard macro lens and add extension tubes to it -even add a diopter or a teleconverter (but never both -too much glass and the lens won't focus). I use to shoot with Canon's 100mm macro + tubes + a teleconverter or a diopter, but once I picked up an MPE-65 I've been using it exclusively for macro. Here are some examples:

196193571-L.jpg

195119047-L.jpg

197794821-L.jpg

167800234-L.jpg

Take the time to learn their behavior and you can even get one to land on your finger...

197339359-L.jpg

The only difficult part about taking that last shot was holding the camera with one hand mwink.gif
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
    edited November 1, 2007
    Thanks Dalantech.

The articles you reference look helpful, and I will make use of your info.

I do have a Canon 500D diopter, but it is sized for my Nikon 18-200mm lens. I really hope to get a dedicated macro lens, but will also consider a diopter for my current setup of Nikon 50mm 1.8 and Kenko tubes (especially since the diopters are so cheap.

Thanks again - you've got some great shots!
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    46thga wrote:
    Thanks Dalantech.

The articles you reference look helpful, and I will make use of your info.

I do have a Canon 500D diopter, but it is sized for my Nikon 18-200mm lens. I really hope to get a dedicated macro lens, but will also consider a diopter for my current setup of Nikon 50mm 1.8 and Kenko tubes (especially since the diopters are so cheap.

Thanks again - you've got some great shots!

Glad I could help :cool
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • patricia kaypatricia kay Registered Users Posts: 206 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    46thga...you have some great shots there...an interesting subject...never seen one up close before...Thanks for sharing them!

Dalantech...Your dragon fly shots are just beautiful...you have some lovely colored ones....Mine here are green,brown and red....I really like these friendly creatures and last summer i had a green one pose on a garden cane for almost 1 hour and each day returned...never moved when i got my camera as close as i could...will post a few...BUT...they are no where near as good as your shots!!!!

Patricia.......:D
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    These are beautiful welcome to the forum
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited November 6, 2007
    Thanks Patricia. I had never seen a praying mantis that close before either and I was glad that I was too big for him to dine on.
    edited November 6, 2007
    Thank you.

You have some nice photos. I enjoyed looking at your galleries.