Reducing reflections

DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
edited December 5, 2007 in Holy Macro
I spent almost the entire month of October working on my flash photography and reducing reflections. Here's a sample of some of the photos that I took that month.

203116420-L.jpg

203116559-L.jpg

203478238-L.jpg

203478569-L.jpg

203891812-L.jpg

Just to see if I could do it I put a 1.4 teleconverter on my MPE-65 and took a couple of shots at 7x. This one's for you Skippy :D

206130999-L.jpg
My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.

Comments

• canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    Dalantech wrote:
    I spent almost the entire month of October working on my flash photography and reducing reflections. Here's a sample of some of the photos that I took that month.

Just to see if I could do it I put a 1.4 teleconverter on my MPE-65 and took a couple of shots at 7x. This one's for you Skippy :D

Those shots are brilliant. I can see like Brian and Skippy you are also using the MP-E 65mm. It seems to me it is the answer to macrophotography. Well done I thoroughly enjoyed them.
    Cheers
    Bob
  • patricia kaypatricia kay Registered Users Posts: 206 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    Your dragon fly shots are just fantastic...i love them all...and what a closeup...do tell how near you were to the eyes !

Patricia............:D
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    Dalantech wrote:

Hey there John, I know it's extremely difficult to remove and reduce reflections when most bugs and insects are so reflective, especially their eyes.

You've done really well John clap.gif .

Wow so you tried an TC on the MPE-65 hahaha, mate the weight I have
    with the Camera, the MPE 65 and the Twin Flash is plenty enough for me to try and work with hand held I think a TC would do me in for weight.

Excellent Series John, and I see you have no shortage of those Brilliant Dragonflies yet again rolleyes1.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    canon400d wrote:
    Those shots are brilliant. I can see like Brian and Skippy you are also using the MP-E 65mm. It seems to me it is the answer to macrophotography. Well done I thoroughly enjoyed them.
    Cheers
    Bob

Thanks Bob :cool
    My SmugMug Gallery

edited November 1, 2007
    Your dragon fly shots are just fantastic...i love them all...and what a closeup...do tell how near you were to the eyes !

Patricia............:D

Thanks Patricia! I've never measured the working distance at 7x, but it's probably close to an inch. It took me at least half an hour to get three usable frames -the view finder was extremely dark...
    My SmugMug Gallery

edited November 1, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Hey there John, I know it's extremely difficult to remove and reduce reflections when most bugs and insects are so reflective, especially their eyes.

You've done really well John clap.gif .

Wow so you tried an TC on the MPE-65 hahaha, mate the weight I have
    with the Camera, the MPE 65 and the Twin Flash is plenty enough for me to try and work with hand held I think a TC would do me in for weight.

Excellent Series John, and I see you have no shortage of those Brilliant Dragonflies yet again rolleyes1.gif .... Skippy :D

Thanks Skippy.

I was really concerned that I was going to slip and crush that dragon all over the front of the lens...

There are two emergences per year, with the second (and largest) in the first two weeks of August. We actually had dragons morphing the first two weeks of October (it was so warm!).

Here's another angle on the eye -and this one was luck. The dragon was hunting (that's why he let me get close) and he turned his head to get the range to a target when I pressed the shutter. Pretty cool how their eyes are different (larger lenses on the top) and how they use them for different things.

206130565-L.jpg
    My SmugMug Gallery

• LudiLudi Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited November 28, 2007
    The last one is absolutely professionel! clap.gif

Regards
    Ludi
  • banjonbanjon Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2007
    Dalantech wrote:
    Thanks Skippy.

I was really concerned that I was going to slip and crush that dragon all over the front of the lens...

There are two emergences per year, with the second (and largest) in the first two weeks of August. We actually had dragons morphing the first two weeks of October (it was so warm!).

Wow. These shots are unreal. :) I'd love to do soemthing like this, maybe in the future. Its on my wish list. hehe

Can I ask, how to you get so close to the dragonflies, sometimes they just take off. I do remember one landing on the steps one day and I picked it up letting it walk onto my finger - I watched it for about 10-15 minutes. It was amazing, it was letting me look closeup at it. (No camera though)

Yellowjackets do the same thing. I open my hand, and they will land on my finger. Not sure why, but it happens often.
    edited December 5, 2007
    Ludi wrote:
    The last one is absolutely professionel! clap.gif

Regards
    Ludi

Thanks Ludi!
    My SmugMug Gallery

edited December 5, 2007
    banjon wrote:
    Can I ask, how to you get so close to the dragonflies, sometimes they just take off. I do remember one landing on the steps one day and I picked it up letting it walk onto my finger - I watched it for about 10-15 minutes. It was amazing, it was letting me look closeup at it. (No camera though)

Shooting Dragonflies

Most dragonflies, especially darters, are creatures of habit: If you scare one off just freeze, or back up a little, and it will come right back to the spot it was sitting on. You can see my finger in this next image; The dragonfly took off and I held out my hand close to the place it was perching and when it came back it landed on me :)

197339359-L.jpg
    My SmugMug Gallery

• banjonbanjon Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    Dalantech wrote:
    Shooting Dragonflies

Most dragonflies, especially darters, are creatures of habit: If you scare one off just freeze, or back up a little, and it will come right back to the spot it was sitting on. You can see my finger in this next image; The dragonfly took off and I held out my hand close to the place it was perching and when it came back it landed on me :)

197339359-L.jpg

Thanks - Cool shot. Very colorful, I've only seen red and green ones here. Nothing this colorful. :) I wonder what they can see with their eyes. Pretty cool to look at close up.
    edited December 5, 2007
    banjon wrote:
    Thanks - Cool shot. Very colorful, I've only seen red and green ones here. Nothing this colorful. :) I wonder what they can see with their eyes. Pretty cool to look at close up.

I've often wondered the same thing -what do they see with all those lenses...
    My SmugMug Gallery