Options

24-70 canon vs 24-70 sigma

BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited November 2, 2007 in Cameras
Since the canon cost over $1000 and the sigma is around $500, what's the scoop. Is the canon lens really much better than the sigma or is it just the brand name?

BP:dunno
:photo

Comments

• Options
    ulrikftulrikft Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    -Ulrik

Canon EOS 30D, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-200 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, Tokina 12-24 f/4. Sigma 1.4 TC, Feisol 3401 Tripod + Feisol ballhead, Metz 58 AF-1 C, ebay triggers.
  • Options
    BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    thanks
    :photo
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2007
    Comparison tests with sample photos:

http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/2470exl
  • Options
    aledophotoaledophoto Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited November 2, 2007
    24-70
    I suggest going to a local camera store and renting each for a day or two. You will probably be happy with the less expensive Sigma because you wouldn't know the difference withou trying both.

I own the Canon L version and wouldn't trade it.

Since the canon cost over $1000 and the sigma is around $500, what's the scoop. Is the canon lens really much better than the sigma or is it just the brand name?

BPne_nau.gif
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    It would be difficult to find a Sigma 24-70 to rent, everyone I've seen just has the Canon, even the online places with good third-party selections. Maybe see if there's a dgrinner in your area with one who's willing to meet up & let you play with their lens for an afternoon?

I don't have personal experience with the Sigma and own the Canon. From what I've read the Sigma AF is apparently less responsive & accurate than Canon's. Again from what I've read optically it close enough to Canon to not make much difference in actual use. But, take that with some salt as it's all hearsay.

For me, those reviews were enough for me to spend the extra as I push the envelope of what the Canon lens can accomplish.