Apocalyptic Vienna, Austria

Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited October 31, 2007 in Landscapes
Votive-Church-Votivkirche-Vienna-Austria-101_9937.jpg?g2_GALLERYSID=7401f9b5901389e170b5eaacc026726a
Votive Church (Votivkirche), Vienna, Austria
Click on the imaeg or the link above to see a bigger photo and EXIF.

This Apocalyptic scene, with a cloud like a ball of fire descending over the Votive Church in Vienna was very ominous. We woke up next day to 40C plus temperatures, which lasted for the next week. Unlike Australia, most European countries are very poorly prepared for such heat wave. The air conditioned facilities are sparse to say the least. Our escape was to a local pool which was located on a converted barge On Danube river. Yes, on the “Beautiful Blue Danube” (An der schönen blauen Donau), as named by a famous waltz by Johann Strauss. The only thing is it is rather disappointingly murky brown and very uninviting.
I have a special attachment to Austria as I have lived here for almost two years when I was younger. I still consider it one of the most beautiful countries in Europe and the heat wave did not deter me from showing my family the beauty of this city and country. In next few articles I will bring more scenic photos but for now I leave you with the “fire in the sky” Viennese sunset.

Comments