Options

Question about printing

Lesley BrayLesley Bray Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
edited November 1, 2007 in Finishing School
I take pics with my 350D Canon and until now have been happy to view them on the PC.
Now I want have some printed in a photo lab.
I shoot my pics in Jpeg in L size and are sized 3456x2304.
I want to have my photos printed in 10x15 size.
I use GIMP to crop and make adjustments to colour levels etc.
In GIMP there is an option in the Image menu to use Print Size.

My question is - before I take my files to the printing lab - do I use Print Size in GIMP to adjust the files to 10x15 size ??
Or do I rock up at the lab with my files in full size and they do the necessary adjustments for me ???

I have done some research about printing but still confused.
Thanks in advance - Lesley

Comments

• Options
    gman33gman33 Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    I take pics with my 350D Canon and until now have been happy to view them on the PC.
    Now I want have some printed in a photo lab.
    I shoot my pics in Jpeg in L size and are sized 3456x2304.
    I want to have my photos printed in 10x15 size.
    I use GIMP to crop and make adjustments to colour levels etc.
    In GIMP there is an option in the Image menu to use Print Size.

My question is - before I take my files to the printing lab - do I use Print Size in GIMP to adjust the files to 10x15 size ??
    Or do I rock up at the lab with my files in full size and they do the necessary adjustments for me ???

I have done some research about printing but still confused.
    Thanks in advance - Lesley

I would let them do it. Just like with Smugmug, keep the original size and the lab will make the proper adjustments...good luck and let us know how you make out
    Ed G - Philadelphia, PA
    http://ergphoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2007
    Thanks
    gman33 wrote:
    I would let them do it. Just like with Smugmug, keep the original size and the lab will make the proper adjustments...good luck and let us know how you make out
    Thanks Ed for the advice - will let you know
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    Depends on what sort of photos Lesley. If they are family snap shots & you just want quick cheap snap shots then places any like Harvey Norman/Photo Continental (mt gravatt) are the best to go to with the originals & from what ive been told you can resize everthing to what you want on their machines & print on the spot yourself.

If you want some quality printing at good prices then try going to RGB Digital in Yeronga. Bit out of the way i know but i always get all my printing done there & never ever had a problem. The last 20-30 odd i got done were via their new online sevice.
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Depends on what sort of photos Lesley. If they are family snap shots & you just want quick cheap snap shots then places any like Harvey Norman/Photo Continental (mt gravatt) are the best to go to with the originals & from what ive been told you can resize everthing to what you want on their machines & print on the spot yourself.

If you want some quality printing at good prices then try going to RGB Digital in Yeronga. Bit out of the way i know but i always get all my printing done there & never ever had a problem. The last 20-30 odd i got done were via their new online sevice.

Thanks Gus for the advice - was going to go to Ted's Camera Shop at Mt Gravatt - cause I just purchased a new camera there and they give you the first 50 prints for free and all prints half price for first 3 months.
    Nevertheless these are pics in took recently in Holland and I wanted some excellent quality prints of my best shots - so after your advice - thinking about trying RGB Digital at Yeronga.
    Regards Lesley
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    Thanks Gus for the advice - was going to go to Ted's Camera Shop at Mt Gravatt - cause I just purchased a new camera there and they give you the first 50 prints for free and all prints half price for first 3 months.
    Nevertheless these are pics in took recently in Holland and I wanted some excellent quality prints of my best shots - so after your advice - thinking about trying RGB Digital at Yeronga.
    Regards Lesley

RGB are great but a bit dearer (as they all are) if you need them to do any work at all. From memory they need 253 dpi set for their printer & you will need to have your stuff sized correctly. They will do exactly as you ask with your originals but they will just charge you a bit more thats all.

Maybe best to give them a ring & ask about it. Im so tight i only breath in thus i get all my stuff so they dont need to do a thing to them. They are def the cheapest quality printer ive found in brissy by far.