Options

Attn Color geeks: scRGB?

DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
edited November 2, 2007 in Finishing School
I'm a dope with this color stuff. Is scRGB just another color space, or will it actually make photo editing easier/better?

Comments

• Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I'm a dope with this color stuff. Is scRGB just another color space, or will it actually make photo editing easier/better?

Nothing MS has done or plans to do with respect to color management is ready for prime time. Ignore it for the time being.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 1, 2007
    15524779-Ti.giflol3.giflol3.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    rolleyes1.gif Agreed. MS is not an imaging company. So far all they've done there is release a buggy metadata editor that trashes your files, apparently ruin a perfectly good DAM app, and introduce another already-ignored image file format (like we need another one).
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2007
    Any non-Apple types want to chime in? :lol
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:

Let me boot my iMac into Vista....

Look, that article is so technically off, its not even worth my time to point out all the fallacies. The color space isn't supported anywhere anyway. If you need a wider gamut working space (and you probably do), move from sRGB to at least Adobe RGB (1998) or better, ProPhoto RGB which is at least fully supported in all kinds of imaging products. This is largely a fluff piece for MS and not at all worth anyone's attention right now. Its hard enough getting folks to understand the true role and use of sRGB and the currently supported and functional working spaces than to mix in another that brings little to the party.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2007
    arodney wrote:
    Let me boot my iMac into Vista....

Look, that article is so technically off, its not even worth my time to point out all the fallacies. The color space isn't supported anywhere anyway. If you need a wider gamut working space (and you probably do), move from sRGB to at least Adobe RGB (1998) or better, ProPhoto RGB which is at least fully supported in all kinds of imaging products. This is largely a fluff piece for MS and not at all worth anyone's attention right now. Its hard enough getting folks to understand the true role and use of sRGB and the currently supported and functional working spaces than to mix in another that brings little to the party.
    I was joking, Andrew, hence the smiley. I believe you - that's why I asked the question in the first place.deal.gif
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:

No insults neccesary! umph.gifD Remember, I'm on XP and constantly debate with Macnation. :tiptoe The fact of the matter is Microsoft's attempts at imaging so far have been laughable & it seems we're being used as their guinea pigs. Stick with the esablished tools & you are fine--regardless of platform.