Portrait first timers

jbr13jbr13 Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
edited November 2, 2007 in People
Just wanted to get some feed back. THis was myself and a friends first attempt at doing some portrait work. We were asked to take some pictures by our local Fire Department, and we volunteered our time and effort for learning purposes. We both decided that the flags could have been fixed to stand out a little better, but our major question is the lighting? What do you all think?

Thanks
Jason

215175848-L-1.jpg

215178297-L-1.jpg

215171712-L-1.jpg
Jason

http://jbr.smugmug.com/

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced... Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice"

Comments

• GP ImagesGP Images Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    On my monitor here at work these look very yellow.
  • jbr13jbr13 Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    Yes, I processed these on my laptop and it needs color profile set. Wish I would have notice earlier. Sorry for the bad images on here.
    Jason

http://jbr.smugmug.com/

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced... Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice"
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    for portraits, they look (besides yellow) a bit too contrasty in my opinion..
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    Comments (I'm not going to sugar-coat it, so be warned :D):
    • Lighting looks flat in all three and more than just a bit under-exposed. To help give a 3-dimensional effect, try to get some pleasing shadows on the face. This can be easily accomplished with some off-camera lighting. As a starting point, do some google searches on "loop lighting".
    • In your images, the face is too centered in the frame. For next time, might want to think about putting the eyes somewhere near the top third of the frame. You also might be more successful if you filled more of the frame with your subject.
    • In the second photo (of the young lady) you either have her too near the backdrop or your aperture is closed down too much as the backdrop is not nicely blurred as it is in the other two.
    • It's already been mentioned, but you have some serious White Balance issues to correct here.