"Moving" and entire gallery

SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
edited November 2, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I'm gonna describe what I want the end result to be and hopefully someone can come up w/ a better idea than the frankenstein brewing in my head...

I have existing galleries here:
http://www.jonbrittphoto.com/Weddings

That I want to migrate over to a new gallery called "clients" here:
http://www.jonbrittphoto.com/Proofs

What I want to do is leave the photos I have already under "weddings" since that's what they are. I'd like a link or something of that nature to enable anyone to go the "clients" gallery and then select their gallery, pucnh in their password and see their photos.

Summary:
It would go like this.. A client clicks on the clients tab in my navbar. They are taken to a list of clients where they find their name and enter their password to do what they will in there. I would like to leave the wedding shots in weddings for orginizational purposes though. (I'm also open to ideas on how to manage a client gallery like this as well)

Hopefully this makes sense. I'm open to changing this whole thinking though since I'm jsut starting this process.

Thanks for your time and help.

-Jon

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I'm gonna describe what I want the end result to be and hopefully someone can come up w/ a better idea than the frankenstein brewing in my head...

I have existing galleries here:
    http://www.jonbrittphoto.com/Weddings

That I want to migrate over to a new gallery called "clients" here:
    http://www.jonbrittphoto.com/Proofs

What I want to do is leave the photos I have already under "weddings" since that's what they are. I'd like a link or something of that nature to enable anyone to go the "clients" gallery and then select their gallery, pucnh in their password and see their photos.

Summary:
    It would go like this.. A client clicks on the clients tab in my navbar. They are taken to a list of clients where they find their name and enter their password to do what they will in there. I would like to leave the wedding shots in weddings for orginizational purposes though. (I'm also open to ideas on how to manage a client gallery like this as well)

Hopefully this makes sense. I'm open to changing this whole thinking though since I'm jsut starting this process.

Thanks for your time and help.

-Jon

I'm unclear what question you are asking. Are you asking for opinions about your design idea? Or are you asking a "howto" question (e.g. how to do something on Smugmug)?

If you are asking how to move galleries, you can just go to each gallery customization page and change it's category or sub-category and it will "move" to the new category. It doesn't actually physically move anywhere, you are just changing it's categorization which causes the visual display of your site to change.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    Thanks John,

I'm looking for a how to. Not a design idea.

In my previous post. I mentioned that I wanted to keep the category how it was and use the "Clients" page that's linked in my navbar to act as a portal for all clients to go through.

I want to keep galleries categorized weddings as weddings. Not change it to clients.

The fix you offer is fine for now. But what happens when you have a few hundred clients and they are all ganged up into one big gallery called "clients"? I'm trying to keep my site so it is scaleable.

After I work this out. I'm goiung to change how the galleries look so it's easier to navigate. That's after I make this change though.
    edited November 1, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Thanks John,

I'm looking for a how to. Not a design idea.

In my previous post. I mentioned that I wanted to keep the category how it was and use the "Clients" page that's linked in my navbar to act as a portal for all clients to go through.

I want to keep galleries categorized weddings as weddings. Not change it to clients.

The fix you offer is fine for now. But what happens when you have a few hundred clients and they are all ganged up into one big gallery called "clients"? I'm trying to keep my site so it is scaleable.

After I work this out. I'm goiung to change how the galleries look so it's easier to navigate. That's after I make this change though.

When you have a few hundred clients, you have a bunch of different options. Here are some ideas. All of these involve adding one more layer of categorization that asks your viewer to identify the right bucket to look in so when they get there, they only see a handful of galleries rather than hundreds. Here are some ideas:

Add another level of categorization by year (2006, 2007, 2008). So, a viewer picks the right year, then just finds galleries for that year. Or, you can make it more specific (Weddings 2006, Weddings 2007, Weddings 2008).

Add another level of categorization by type (weddings, portraits, events, etc...). So a viewer picks the right type of event, then just finds galleries of that type.

Add another level of categorization by client last name (A-F, G-K, L-Q, R-Z, etc...) so each bucket only has a subset of galleries.

Leave all galleries on one big list, but sort them in reverse chronological order so recent activity is always at the top of the list.

Have the recent clients at the top level (e.g. the last 30 clients or whatever number feels right to you) and put all other clients into an "Archive" sub-category so they are all there, but new clients (which is presumably most of your activity) can find their jobs easier.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    You will have to upload a new set or make copies and move the copy. Photos
    can't be in two different galleries.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited November 1, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Have the recent clients at the top level (e.g. the last 30 clients or whatever number feels right to you) and put all other clients into an "Archive" sub-category so they are all there, but new clients (which is presumably most of your activity) can find their jobs easier.

That sounds like a great idea!

can I then create the archive like the lettered archive so it's easy for them to find?
    jfriend wrote:
    Add another level of categorization by client last name (A-F, G-K, L-Q, R-Z, etc...) so each bucket only has a subset of galleries.

Or am I stuck with only being able to go two levels deep?

So I would do this by making a gallery of images for a specific event. and place that gallery under the category of "Clients". Whene it is time to "move" the gallery to a corresponding sub category. I jsut add a sub category and it effectively removes this gallery from the main client page and palces it where I told it to go..
    Right?

Here's an illustration of what I'm thinking....
    edited November 1, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    That sounds like a great idea!

can I then create the archive like the lettered archive so it's easy for them to find?

Or am I stuck with only being able to go two levels deep?

So I would do this by making a gallery of images for a specific event. and place that gallery under the category of "Clients". Whene it is time to "move" the gallery to a corresponding sub category. I jsut add a sub category and it effectively removes this gallery from the main client page and palces it where I told it to go..
    Right?

Here's an illustration of what I'm thinking....

Yep, that would work perfectly. You are right that to move it to the architve all you would have to do is change the category and set the appropriate sub-category - very quick and easy.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited November 2, 2007
    OK I'm sure I'm being thoroughly dense...

I created a gallery in the category called "proofs" this is where I'm going to place the client proofs we're talking about.

I then created a gallery called "A-F" in the category proofs and gave it a sub category of A-F so it would sit where it bleongs and I could archive accordingly.

Now when I'm logged in the page looks like this:
    edited November 2, 2007
    And this is what it looks like when I'm logged out
    edited November 2, 2007
    Private galleries don't show when you are logged out. Categories with no galleries in them don't show. Categories that only have private galleries in them don't show when you are logged out (because the galleries themselves wouldn't show).

Make a category and put a public gallery in it and it will show for everyone. Make a category and put only private galleries in it and it will only show when logged in.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited November 2, 2007
    That makes sense. Now at leastrolleyes1.gif

Thanks John.