Halloween Parade at Berry Elementary School

PhilCollumPhilCollum Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
edited November 1, 2007 in People
One of our local elementary schools held their annual Halloween parade and costume contest. The principal happened to be a friend of mind who asked for some photos at the event. It was a fun experience for me since I've only shot a few events, and never such a large group of children. After dealing with hundreds of excited kids at 7am in the morning, it sure gave me great respect for what teachers go through every day! I don't know how they manage to do it every day. By the end of the event I was totally worn out - but at least I got to go home after a few hours... The poor staff had to stay and actually try to teach!

As always, C&C is very much appreciated!!

1. This is my friend, "Captain No Beard" (a.k.a. Mr. Principal). Every time he'd walk around, all the kids would holler in excitement, "Captain Jack!!" My friend, who is not named Jack, had no idea who all the kids were referring to.... I think most of the kids figured he's spent most of his life in a cave...

215919455-M.jpg

2. ...I don't think he was very happy that morning.

215919515-M.jpg

3. All the classes sat in one very, VERY large circle around the playground. One of the teachers had the idea to start the "wave", which continued from class to class, wrapping itself all the way around the playground. The wave just kept going, and going, and going - circle after circle. The best part was watching the staff try to stop it so the events could continue!

215919660-M.jpg

4. As all the classes were taking their seats when I heard someone behind me yelling, "Take my picture! Take my picture!" This is what I saw when I turned around.

215961646-M.jpg

5. The parade begins...

215919481-M.jpg

6. Death sneaking up to Batman.

215919605-M.jpg

7. This particular Devil in a Red Dress seemed to be enjoying the attention more than anyone. She walked like she was on the runway in Paris, and certainly had her 'princess wave' down pat! :D

215919629-M.jpg

8. A first-year teacher and one of his favorite students. This was one of two homemade kimono costumes. The second costume was equally impressive (see below).

215961770-M.jpg

9. One of many beautiful princesses seen on the school grounds that morning.

215961685-M.jpg

10. Question: "What do you think, kids, should we cancel the costume contest?" Answer: "NNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!"

215919505-M.jpg

11. One of our prize winners was Princess Fiona. Her costume was completely homemade. It included a "baby stroller" (made out of a cardboard box and roller skate wheels) which contained eight, tiny stuffed baby Shreck dolls. Very imaginative!

215919708-M-1.jpg

12. Yet another winner, this one for the category of "Most Creative". You can see why...

215961799-M.jpg

13. To me, I think the Soccer Ball was fantastic - but it was Mario in the background that made this work.

215919735-M-2.jpg

14. This is the other homemade Kimono costume. The detail in this Geisha Girl was fantastic. I have no idea how she managed not to win any prizes!

215919682-M.jpg
Phil Collum
Phil Collum Photography
San Diego, CA, USA
Equipment list in my profile

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 1, 2007
    great pics!-

some very creative costumes-
  • MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    Laughing.gif LOVIN' the Barbie in the box!!! What fun!!!
    Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector