Options

Back from the Middle East

JimbojackJimbojack Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
edited November 3, 2007 in Journeys
I just came back from a month long trip to the Middle East. In the next couple of weeks I'll be going through the thousands of pictures I've taken and post them on my website as well as here. I started by flying to Jordan, then caught a flight to Kuwait where I spent a few days with a friend of mine. I then flew to Bahrain and Sharjah (United Arab Emirates) for a couple of days each. From Sharjah I flew to Aleppo (Northern Syria). I spent two weeks in Syria, then went to Jordan to meet my wife who flew there for the wedding of a very good friend of mine. After the wedding, we went to Jerusalem and the Palestinian territories for a few days. Afterwards, we returned to Jordan and spent a couple of days in Petra before flying back home.

I'll also be updating my site with photos of my previous trips to the middle east.

Here is a map of my trip:
(Flights are blue, overland travel is red)
MiddleEastTrip.jpg

Some general photos from the trip:

Kuwaiti fish market
ME_003.jpg

Old Bahraini tomb in front of a new house
ME_004.jpg

Sharjah, U.A.E.
ME_005.jpg

ME_006.jpg

ME_007.jpg

ME_008.jpg

Various photos from Syria
ME_009.jpg

ME_010.jpg

ME_012.jpg

ME_013.jpg

ME_014.jpg

ME_015.jpg

ME_017.jpg

ME_019.jpg

ME_020.jpg

ME_022.jpg

ME_023.jpg

ME_025.jpg

ME_026.jpg

ME_028.jpg

ME_029.jpg

ME_031.jpg

Jerusalem & The Palestinian Territories
ME_040.jpg

ME_046.jpg

ME_048.jpg

ME_050.jpg

ME_056.jpg

Jordan
ME_060.jpg

ME_061.jpg

ME_063.jpg

ME_064.jpg

ME_066.jpg

ME_070.jpg

ME_075.jpg

ME_078.jpg

ME_085.jpg

ME_088.jpg

ME_090.jpg

I hope you enjoy these photos, I'll be posting a lot more in the next few weeks. Hopefully I'll have a couple of series done from Syria this weekend.

Here is my page about the trip, there are a total of 90 photos posted there right now.
http://jimbojack.com/Middle_East.htm

I'm already planning the next trip, in January I will most likely be going to India & Bangladesh for 4-5 weeks. At the end of next year my friend and I are planing on driving Enfield motorcycles from India to Germany.
Phillip

Just back from Europe, Eastern Turkey, Iraq and Iran, new photos coming soon!
Over 100 Countries, thousands of pictures, one Website (being redesigned at the moment)
www.Jimbojack.com

Comments

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    Phillip,

i'm really glad that you get around - because it results in tons of wonderful photos. I don't envy you the task of going through them but I am thoroughly enjoying the set.

bowdown.gif

I would love to get to the Middle East at some point. Thank you for bringing pieces of it back here and I can't wait to see more!
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    Love them!! Thank you much for sharing, I don't know if I would ever make the trip, as I have been told that ALL women have to wear the coverings (for respect), don't know if I could take it..Laughing.gif !!

I really like the one of the two women walking with the traditional cothing and then in the opposite window, the very sexy and revealing lingerie. What a contrast and what a statement !!

Look forward to viewing more of your entries!!
    Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    Wow! clap.gifclap.gif These are incredible photos! Beautiful to look at and interesting to consider such different cultures. I look forward to seeing more. Thank you for sharing!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    JimbojackJimbojack Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    Tentacion wrote:
    Love them!! Thank you much for sharing, I don't know if I would ever make the trip, as I have been told that ALL women have to wear the coverings (for respect), don't know if I could take it..Laughing.gif !!

I really like the one of the two women walking with the traditional cothing and then in the opposite window, the very sexy and revealing lingerie. What a contrast and what a statement !!

Look forward to viewing more of your entries!!
    Donna

I'm glad you liked the photos.
    You don't have to wear any covering as a woman while you are in the Middle East with a couple of exceptions. It is important to dress conservatively, but that usually means long pants and a modest shirt that covers your shoulders. You only have to cover your hair in Iran and Saudi Arabia, but do not need to cover your face. When I was traveling with my wife and other female friends, they simply wore long pants and either simple T-shirts or long sleeve shirts. The only places where they had to cover up more were the mosques. When you enter a mosque, there is usually a place that you can borrow a robe for the duration of your visit. You should definatly visit if you get a chance, the people are very friendly and despite the negative media attention the Middle East is a very safe place to visit.
    Phillip

Just back from Europe, Eastern Turkey, Iraq and Iran, new photos coming soon!
    Over 100 Countries, thousands of pictures, one Website (being redesigned at the moment)
    www.Jimbojack.com
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2007
    real nice! post some more! thumb.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2007
    Awesome pictures. Thanks for sharing them.