A walk in Providence

DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
edited November 2, 2007 in Landscapes
I live in "the biggest little state in the union", or so the slogan goes. The smallest state also has the longest official name: The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. It was founded by folks from Massachusettes who didn't like the strict religious doctrines there. They founded the first settlement based on religious freedom as shown by the motto inscribed on the Capitol building facade.

213937804-L.jpg

I'm not altogether sure what "concernments" are...

I borrowed my friend Brian's 10-22 for this shot of the rear of the building - I was going to fix the perspective but I think I like it better this way.

213937505-L.jpg

If my math is correct, this cornerstone was laid 10/15/1896.

213938242-L.jpg

See if you can guess the state motto.

213938159-L.jpg

213938266-L.jpg

"Hope", for those of you playing along at home. We are also "The Ocean State" if you are wondering what the achor is all about.:D

The capitol overlooks a valley and a picturesque hill. It's hard to imagine this is so close to the heart of downtown. I was quite taken with the dome overlooking the scene.

213937545-L.jpg

213938151-L.jpg

I'm not much of a city person so I never think to go exploring Providence; I need to go back when it's not overcast and yucky!

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 1, 2007
    Providence has quite a few hidden gems. Thanks for taking us along wave.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2007
    Thanks Doc - got any favorite areas that I should look up? I know a certain Iron Butt that loves checking out the cemetary; someone famous buried there in an out of the way spot but I can't remember who.headscratch.gif She had his GPS coords at one point IIRC.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 2, 2007
    I'm partial to Roger Williams park. It's huge, and some sides are bordered by slightly rock neighborhoods, but there's soo much in it. Cyclocross nationals were held there last year... check out the fantastic building in the background:

120236016-M.jpg

All sorts of crazy old structures like that in/around the park, several ponds, and I think there's a zoo in there too. Cool place, not well advertised, but there's good stuff in there.

That and the Italian restaurants lol3.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]