Options

best editor for a mac?

greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
I am a recent convert from PC to Mac. With my old PC I’ve done a little bit of work with the smugmug rss feed to make a simple google gadget, but now I would really like get into the API.

My day to day work is on a PC with MSFT Visual Studio using C# and with Eclipse using Java.

But at home on the Mac I figure I’ll be playing with the javascript, html, etc while working with the API (maybe some java).

So the question is, what is your favorite Mac editor? I’m willing to put out some $$$ for something that will manage projects, deal nicely with javascript, html, dhtml, xml, css, etc.. Code folding would be nice to have too.

Suggestions?
Andrew
initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange

Comments

• Options
    i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    Isin't Eclipse open source? Can you just recompile?

I (unfortunately) can't get Eclipse to coopeate with 64-bit linux, maybe you'll have better luck on your Mac clap.gif
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 2, 2007
    greenpea,

maybe look at aptana, it's a customised version of eclipse targetted at web development. Currently, I am using SubEthaEdit.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2007
    eclipse rocks for java, but you like eclipse for javascript and html too?

vs. dreamweaver?
    Andrew

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2007
    Isin't Eclipse open source? Can you just recompile?

I (unfortunately) can't get Eclipse to coopeate with 64-bit linux, maybe you'll have better luck on your Mac clap.gif

I currently DO have eclipse installed on my mac. I'm just curious what everyone's favorite editors are ...what else is out there.
    Andrew

• Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    textwrangler (free) and it's big brother, bbedit (reasonably priced) seem to be the ones I spend the most time in after xcode (free), which is great for programming, but pretty sucktacular for authoring.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 2, 2007
    cabbey wrote:
    textwrangler (free) and it's big brother, bbedit (reasonably priced) seem to be the ones I spend the most time in after xcode (free), which is great for programming, but pretty sucktacular for authoring.

I like SubEthaEdit way more than bbedit :D
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2007
    maybe I'm talking crazy here, but is there such a thing as a tool for the mac that lets you debug (step through) javascript code?

EDIT: Never mind. I see aptana (which I'm trying out now) does that. Very cool.
    Andrew

• Options
    edited November 2, 2007
    Next question... a file comparison tool. For the PC I love Beyond Comare, but anyone have a favorite for the mac?
    Andrew