Options

Please check these for green tint

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited November 2, 2007 in Finishing School
I just got a new s-ips monitor and calibrated it. As a final check, I dug up some proofs I had printed at WHCC to compare. The contrast and brightness are spot-on but I now notice a green tint on every photo. This occurs most noticeably on the black and white shots but is present on the color ones as well. Not sure why I hadn't noticed the tint before. Maybe because they still looked better than my old Dell TN panel was showing them...
I was hoping someone with a calibrated monitor could check these shots and confirm that this is a printer-side problem and that my photos don't actually have a green tint.
Thanks!
E

link: http://eoren1.smugmug.com/gallery/3758755/1/216276871#216276871
P/W: work

Comments

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    It's pretty early on the West coast so my eyes could be lying to me. But the B&W's look just that... B&W.

The only shots where I see a green cast that "shouldn't" be there are the shots of the Lincoln memorial. And due to the angle of the two different shots. I'm fairly convinced that this green tint is an off camera light somewhere in the memorial. Not you.

There are green tints on other shots. But not the way you describe it.

IIf you are validating a new monitor against old proofs that you knw are good. I'd reference your old proofs as a benchmark unless the monitor you used before was a pos. I think it may be your monitor that's casting the green your seeing....

That shot of Licncoln coming out of the ground is pretty cool eh! They are going to move that sculpture to some rich dude's house sometime next year. It's a shame.

-Jon
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    eoren1 wrote:
    I just got a new s-ips monitor and calibrated it. As a final check, I dug up some proofs I had printed at WHCC to compare. The contrast and brightness are spot-on but I now notice a green tint on every photo. This occurs most noticeably on the black and white shots but is present on the color ones as well. Not sure why I hadn't noticed the tint before. Maybe because they still looked better than my old Dell TN panel was showing them...
    I was hoping someone with a calibrated monitor could check these shots and confirm that this is a printer-side problem and that my photos don't actually have a green tint.
    Thanks!
    E

link: http://eoren1.smugmug.com/gallery/3758755/1/216276871#216276871
    P/W: work

B&W has no tint on my uncalibrated Dell work monitor. More importantly, the RGB values are all equal throughout.

Is the green tint on the monitor or in the printed photos? Most inkjet printers have a hard time with perfectly balanced greys, although you usually see a purple or blue tint.
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    I don't see any green tint... headscratch.gifne_nau.gif

Winston
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    Damn ambient lighting!!!
    Prints look great now with natural light coming from behind me.
    Must have been something about this morning's light with the overhead lamp on....
    Thanks guys.
    E
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 2, 2007
    eoren1 wrote:
    Damn ambient lighting!!!
    Prints look great now with natural light coming from behind me.
    Must have been something about this morning's light with the overhead lamp on....
    Thanks guys.
    E

When evaluating B&W images, take the time to read the pixel values in Photoshop or, if you use a Mac, a Digital Color Meter. No matter how the image looks on your monitor, if R=G=B, then this is a color neutral gray tone and the image is a true B&W.

If it does not LOOK black and white then that is a monitor calibration issue, of a printing profile issue.

Nice B&Ws in your galleries too! Nice B&W conversions.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin