FZ50, 8 or...

cyberdoscyberdos Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited November 7, 2007 in Cameras
Hello all. I've been lurking for a while and decided to finally join.
I currently have a SonyDSCW50 which I HATE.

I've been looking around for an SLR but right now I don't think I'm ready for one so my best option is to get a good point and shoot with good capabilities.

I have narrowed down my search to one camera which I believe suits my needs. That camera is the FZ50.

now, here comes the question. I'm a nOOb but am not oblivious to photography and how it works. Should I be looking at an FZ8 as a better option for me or should I go with the 50?

Did the search on that model and only found a couple of threads here but no real reviews.

Any other camera suggestions?

My criteria:
-Image stabilization
-Wide angle
-Quick startup & shots
-RAW capacity

I like to take pics of scenery, buildings. I'm an architect so I love to take angle shots of structures.
My passion is motorcycles (ADV member) so I like to take pics of places I go to.

All/any help is much appreciated.

Comments

• kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    cyberdos wrote:
    Hello all. I've been lurking for a while and decided to finally join.
    I currently have a SonyDSCW50 which I HATE.

I've been looking around for an SLR but right now I don't think I'm ready for one so my best option is to get a good point and shoot with good capabilities.

You can get into some nice DLSRs for not much more than an Fz50, but obviously it's your choice:D
    cyberdos wrote:
    I have narrowed down my search to one camera which I believe suits my needs. That camera is the FZ50.

now, here comes the question. I'm a nOOb but am not oblivious to photography and how it works. Should I be looking at an FZ8 as a better option for me or should I go with the 50?

Did the search on that model and only found a couple of threads here but no real reviews.

Any other camera suggestions?

My criteria:
    -Image stabilization
    -Wide angle
    -Quick startup & shots
    -RAW capacity

I like to take pics of scenery, buildings. I'm an architect so I love to take angle shots of structures.
    My passion is motorcycles (ADV member) so I like to take pics of places I go to.

All/any help is much appreciated.

Does the Fz8 shoot RAW?

The FZ50 is the most "DSLR like" in its size and that it has manual zoom, which is much better than the electronic kind.

And like all the superzoom cams it suffers at any ISO over 200.

Panasonic now have the FZ18 which offers a better focal range- starts wider.

Since you like to travel on your bike, the FZ18 is much smaller and easier to pack.

Good luck with your choice.

Gene
  • cyberdoscyberdos Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    kini62 wrote:
    You can get into some nice DLSRs for not much more than an Fz50, but obviously it's your choice:D
    ear.gif suggestions for entry level SLR's for what I'm looking for?
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    I went through the same thing you're going through.

I had a Sony F828 and LOVED it. Then it died and I got stuck with something I hated. I wanted the quality and feel of a DSLR, but didn't have the big bucks to spend on glass and didn't want the hassle of carrying multiple lenses around.

So what did I get? The Panasonic FZ50.

Am I happy? You bet. wings.gif

There's no such thing as a digital camera that will get you the same quality as a DSLR - but this certainly has the feel of it. And the quality is nothing to shake a stick at. (I wonder if there's a smiley for that?)

I got mine at was (then at least) a great price, so I know you can get it even cheaper now and it'll be worth every penny.

Now if you really want to go DSLR, go for it. I just wasn't quite ready to make the jump yet and I'm glad (for now) taht I didn't.
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    I read that the Pentax K100 Super plus 18-55 kit lens is $399 after rebate.

You can get a dual lens E410 (28-300mm) range for less than $700.

Sure it's more than an Fz50, especially the Oly, but you can use it above ISO 200 without worries, it can grow with you- and with just either lens attatched the E410 is actually smaller than the Fz50.

Plus it has live view- although it doesn't have contrast based AF in live view, nor does it have inbody IS like the Pentax.

The E510 is a $100 or so more and is a little bigger.

Sony A100s are pretty cheap these days as are still new Canon rebel Xts the "old" 8mp model.

Look around. new or used you can get into a DSLR for less than $400.

Good luck.

Gene

cyberdos wrote:
    ear.gif suggestions for entry level SLR's for what I'm looking for?
  • LovesongLovesong Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited November 3, 2007
    I used to own the FZ20 a couple of years back. I found that while the glass that Panasonic used was impeccable, their Venus processors and sensors left something to be desired. Most images were riddled with noise, and especially since you're looking for something to get you into photography, the controls were a pain in the a$$ (going through menus to change aperture and shutter speed). I think they improved the controls a bit in the FZ30 and subsequently FZ50, but for the $500 it costs you can get a very good entry level dSLR like the Nikon D40:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/471716-REG/Nikon_25420_D40_SLR_Digital_Camera.html
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2007
    PM me with any questions, I just went thru this. I think a Panasonic would suit you fine. Depends what you want to do.

Fish bought a panasonic

a thread in the homeland comparing Canon P&S and DSLRs

my thread here about a Canon of similar spec

my thread at advrider

my smugmug with shots I've been taking with the new S5

--Mike

P.S. This is worse than bikes. I just bought some filters, a tripod, a new bag, a wide angle converter, and am flash shopping. :eek1
    edited November 4, 2007
    The FZ50 controls are easy to use. Turn noise reduction and sharpening to "low" and take care of those things in post. I'm not much of a pixel peeper, I just print my pics and hang them on the wall (at 16x20). If they look good they pass my test. Overall I've been really pleased with my results.

163515093-L-2.jpg

127459945-L-1.jpg
    edited November 5, 2007
    kini62 wrote:
    I read that the Pentax K100 Super plus 18-55 kit lens is $399 after rebate.

The K100 was on the top of my list but I didn't find it anywhere at that price.

I must confess that one of the thing that sold me on the FZ50 was the flip up lcd.
    1 because I like to take shots of people when they aren't paying attention to the camera. point the camera directly in their face and they...pose.
    2 because I can capture better "unusual" angles.

Still shopping. Thanks for all the info.
    edited November 5, 2007
    cyberdos wrote:
    The K100 was on the top of my list but I didn't find it anywhere at that price.

I must confess that one of the thing that sold me on the FZ50 was the flip up lcd.
    1 because I like to take shots of people when they aren't paying attention to the camera. point the camera directly in their face and they...pose.
    2 because I can capture better "unusual" angles.

Still shopping. Thanks for all the info.

I'll tell you what, as nice as the flip out screen is for that, I really miss my Sony 828 when it comes to that. Man could I twist that camera...if I ever find one at a yard sale or flea market for cheap I'll be all over it!
    edited November 7, 2007
    New found Dilema
    Ok. Please forgive my ignorance on this. As I was about to push the button on the FZ50, I decided to read one last review on the Canons. I've always been a Canon guy and still own a Canon 35mm (which I haven't used in about 8 years). I read someplace that you could use old 35mm lenses on new DSLR's! That is great news to me since I have 2. The problem is that I'm not too keen on lenses. So now I have 2 lenses which I could use on a Canon body but don't know if they are any good.

The lenses are:

EF 35-80mm f/4-5.6 III

and
    EF 80-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II

So, with these lenses in my hand, would it be better for me to pick up a rebel XT body and forget about the FZ50?

ps. forgot to mention that I also have a SUNPAK auto 444 D Thyrisistor flash. I looked it up and it says that it fits "all major SLR's"
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited November 7, 2007
    The choice is still yours to make. Digicams have the benefits of convenience and being somewhat inconspicuous. The FZ50 also has a movie mode, if that's important.

A dSLR system is much, much better in lowlight, much more responsive, can be customized for many more applications and can be updated, usually with the purchase of a new body alone.

The Canon lenses you mention are consumer lenses. They need to be stopped down in order to provide maximum sharpness. They would be considered slow to use in an indoor situation or diminished light outdoors.

It would probably take at least a couple thousand dollars worth of new, quality optics to match the same range as the FZ50 35-400mm equivalence, and that's without image stabilization.

They really are completely different tools with completely different properties and only moderate overlap in function.

In the end, a dSLR with quality lenses and proper controlled lighting will provide more consistent high-quality results than pretty much any digicam, but there are many additional costs and responsibilities involved.

The FZ50 is still pretty special in that it has manual mode and controls, an advanced hotshoe, RAW capability and a really fine, manual zoom with OIS and an incredible range of focal lengths. You could do nicely with the FZ50 and an external flash ( DMW-FL500) and the wide-angle accessory lens ( DMW-LW55). Used at ISO 100-200 the FZ50 gives very nice results.

If you don't need the range of the FZ50 lens, you could do nicely with a Canon XT/350D and few basic lenses and a good flash. It might cost a bit more, but overall would be more expandable.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    Ziggy nailed it. Your 35-80mm lens would have something like a 56mm-128 equivalent on an XT (assuming a 1.6 crop factor.. I think thats right). I expect you would need or want another lens to go with the XT.
    edited November 7, 2007
    teetering
    So it sounds like I may be back on the FZ50.
    I VERY MUCH appreciate everyone's input. With the array of cameras out there it's rather hard to pinpoint something down and stick with it.
    edited November 7, 2007
    Indeed. Tough choices and many, many of them. If you lived down here in Charlotte I could loan you mine for week to help. Maybe you know someone who has one you can borrow?
    edited November 7, 2007
    Pupator wrote:
    Indeed. Tough choices and many, many of them. If you lived down here in Charlotte I could loan you mine for week to help. Maybe you know someone who has one you can borrow?
    I'm going to be buying it AT B&H (I live in NYC). I believe they have a 7 or 14 day return policy. I'll try it out and if I'm not happy with it (which according to all the reviews, it shouldn't be the case) I'll return it and get the XT.
    edited November 7, 2007
    cyberdos wrote:
    I'm going to be buying it AT B&H (I live in NYC). I believe they have a 7 or 14 day return policy. I'll try it out and if I'm not happy with it (which according to all the reviews, it shouldn't be the case) I'll return it and get the XT.

Nice.

I go back and forth on whether or not I'd want to make the move to DSLR. I know that I'd love the low light/high ISO performance but I just can't get over this:
    ziggy wrote:
    It would probably take at least a couple thousand dollars worth of new, quality optics to match the same range as the FZ50 35-400mm equivalence, and that's without image stabilization.

So for now I stick with what I've got.
    edited November 7, 2007
    Pupator wrote:
    So for now I stick with what I've got.

yeah. That's what has me on the ropes as well. I just don't have the budget to go that route so I was trying to sneak in the back door to DSLR ownership. Looks like it's really not a good idea to do that. So it'll have to wait for now.

Could you guys help me with this:
    Accessory kits
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    I shoot an FZ-50 and F717. The FZ-50 is really a great feeling camera with perhaps the most fun lens I've seen. Here's some things to note:

1. The prints from the FZ-50 are really amazing. The color is so beautiful, the sharpness is really wonderful after some minor post-processing.
    2. The cam does a really nice job with most white balance sensing.
    3. Color shift is not really too noticeable at ISO400 but is noticeable at ISO800 and ISO1600 - the colors flatten out.
    4. Noise really doesn't show up in any print size if you print your composition. With a heavy crop, ISO400 shows up a little bit but not at normal viewing distance (which depends on the size of print). For any web display, you can see it at abnormal viewing size but I can also get picky at noise on a Rebel XTi at ISO400 at full view.
    5. There is distortion at wide angle that you'll need to correct for architectural shots.
    6. The flip-out LCD is really amazinig - most people around me wish they could have one. I do a lot of people shots so getting the camera at the level of the subjects face and not my own is really important to me. I also do a number of overhead shots and its really super.
    7. I use the manual settings a lot and external flash - I don't own a Panasonic or Oly flash because I'm too cheap. Automatic mode on quality flashes works well when you stay within the flash distance. Up close, just pump the arpeture closed a little more to avoid overexposure.
    8. You will probably find yourself using the 420mm more than you think - its really great to get a tight crop on nature, architecture, people, etc.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com