Options

Etiquette? How do you get a candid shot

Lucky HackLucky Hack Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
edited March 14, 2005 in The Big Picture
How do you get a candid shot without screwing it up by asking the subject if you can take their picture?

I saw so many great shots this weekend that I ruined by asking the person if the mind whether I take their picture! ARRRGH! It's not that they refuse, but then you have to tell them to do exactly what they were doing before you asked them and then they strike a pose that has nothing to do with the original shot you saw. Or because they know the are being photographed they smile ( like everybody does when they have their picture taken ) instead of looking pensively into the distance. There's something magical in people who don't know anyone's looking and it's hard to capture when you ask first.

Any thoughts?

hoping this message finds you well -Ian
Chance favors the prepared mind. -Louis Pasteur

Comments

• Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2005
    400mm. :):
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    yep:-)
    luckyrwe wrote:
    thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    A while ago there was a great thread started by Andy on this. Also see the great article by Petteri Sulonen on the subject. Both gave my plenty of food for thought, and made me believe 400 mm might not be the standard answer to this.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    Candid
    Lucky Hack wrote:
    How do you get a candid shot without screwing it up by asking the subject if you can take their picture?

.....cut....

Any thoughts?

I tend to shoot first and apologize afterwards with a shrug of shoulders and a wave and a 'sorry did I do something wrong? innocent face'rolleyes1.gif I'll also at times discreetly ask If a shot is ok then wait untill things go back to normal before shooting. Discreetly being a quick "Is it ok to take a shot" then walk away a bit and wait.

This shot was one that I did not ask permission for because they were deep in conversation.
    The bloke on the right(Who was as tall as he looks) gave me the most evil look I've ever had. I thought for a moment he was going to go for me. I used my "sorry look" then eyes to the ground and shoulders down in disgrace before things went back to normal and I moved on. :uhoh
    I should have shot his face when he was really pissed-off but I think that would have been too much....But a good pic was missed.....

I'd say just take the shot and face the flak afterwards...(depending who your shooting and where, you may be asked to leave etc. or you may get some nice candid shots)
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:

:lynn

that's not candid that's spy shooting lol3.gif
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    Lucky Hack wrote:

I saw so many great shots this weekend that I ruined by asking the person if the mind whether I take their picture! ARRRGH! It's not that they refuse, but then you have to tell them to do exactly what they were doing before you asked them and then they strike a pose that has nothing to do with the original shot you saw. Or because they know the are being photographed they smile ( like everybody does when they have their picture taken ) instead of looking pensively into the distance. There's something magical in people who don't know anyone's looking and it's hard to capture when you ask first.

Any thoughts?

I would recommend reading Andy's thread on this subject. I think it's a gift I know I won't ever have..
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 7, 2005
    Lucky: Look for a thread from early last week by Andy that deals with this very subject...

I always believe in the old tenet... "I'd rather ask forgiveness later than permission now!" I believe that's an Aries mantra... rolleyes1.gif

If I saw an amazing shot staring me in the face I'd take it. BAM!
    If the subject caught me I'd walk right up to them and immediately say something very complimentary... blah blah blah...
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    Bodwick, I think that flash may be what ticked him off. naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited March 7, 2005
    Bodwick wrote:
    The bloke on the right(Who was as tall as he looks) gave me the most evil look I've ever had. I thought for a moment he was going to go for me...
    One word; JUDO! :D
  • Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Bodwick, I think that flash may be what ticked him off. naughty.gif
    You're right Waxy,
    I'll admit you know when you've been flashed by me...rolleyes1.gif

On the point about permission, After catching a persons eye just pointing to your camera and then to them is a way to avoid even talking to the person and getting approval to take a shot. A nod from them is an ok to go on and shoot....
    Same way you ask for the check/bill in a restaurant, pretending to write. People understand sign language.
    thumb.gif
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Options
    Lucky HackLucky Hack Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2005
    Thanks everyone for answering, I really appreciate the advice, lately I've been in Chinatown and it's really tough to get a portrait shot of older Chinese people, Is there a cultural thing about cameras? I was turned down 15 times in a row before I got a shot of a guy that isn't worth posting. I even tried to get someone to tell me how to say "may I take your picture" in Chinese, and he said, don't ask that, just say "Free" but I haven't tried that yet, maybe they think I want money for the picture, anyway, I'm not gonna let it stop me, I'll just keep going till I get the shot. Thanks again.

-hoping this message finds you well -Ian
    Chance favors the prepared mind. -Louis Pasteur