Options

Product shots, critiques please.

blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
edited March 8, 2005 in Holy Macro
I've been messing around with some nic-naks. These were shot in my little ghetto home studio.

Let me know what you think.

17039229-M.jpg

17039248-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    Shots look good! Any chance you could shoot with a polorizer to eliminate glare? The bright spot on #1 is sort of distracting. Love #2 though!

Do you make these? Or were you just playing with them?
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2005
    BridgeCity wrote:
    Shots look good! Any chance you could shoot with a polorizer to eliminate glare? The bright spot on #1 is sort of distracting. Love #2 though!

Do you make these? Or were you just playing with them?
    Yea I could have shot with it, but didn't think so.

Just playing around with them. Trying to hone my skills :)
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    I prefer the second - nice and even. I don't dig the lighting in the first. Something about the difference between the bright and darker sides.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    amcamc Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    I've been messing around with some nic-naks. These were shot in my little ghetto home studio.
    Let me know what you think.
    I like both shots, to the extent that I wouldn't even bother nic-nak-picking about anything. Well-composed and enjoyable to view. Nice work, jds!
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2005
    Same two, using a different background

17041672-M.jpg

17041682-M.jpg
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    The darker background's much better. The lighting looks really harsh on the white background.

IMHO (I've never done what you're doing so take my feedback FWIW) you might look at ways to smooth the light, and ease the transitions from lighter to darker. Also, that cloth backdrop looks very homemade, not buttoned-up professional.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    The darker background's much better. The lighting looks really harsh on the white background.

IMHO (I've never done what you're doing so take my feedback FWIW) you might look at ways to smooth the light, and ease the transitions from lighter to darker. Also, that cloth backdrop looks very homemade, not buttoned-up professional.
    Yea it was just a rag I had laying around and it was darker at the time so I tried it. I'm going to look for some cloth this afternoon and see what I can come up with.
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    wxwax wrote:

I agree with the waxalator!

The darker pics are better, but I'd try to smooth 'the rag' rolleyes1.gif Or perhaps get some black velvet cloth.
    Anyway, I couldn't have done it any better thumb.gif
    Thanks for sharing!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2005
    I agree with the waxalator!

The darker pics are better, but I'd try to smooth 'the rag' rolleyes1.gif Or perhaps get some black velvet cloth.
    Anyway, I couldn't have done it any better thumb.gif
    Thanks for sharing!
    haha, yea I need to see if the local wally world has some I can buy :)
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    Same two, using a different background

The dark background looks much better on the angel, predominantly because it is mostly white to begin with. It stands apart from the background better now. For the same reason don't photograph clear glass on white. Use black, or some dark color.

The bear did fine on white. My only complaint about the second background is if you gently curve the towel as it transitions from flat to vertical then you won't see a "seam" at that spot in the background.

Nice shots! Oh, and the polarizer would help a bit. Overall though nice. If you really want to get fancy, find an environmental location, and be careful with the choice of focus, depth of field, and lighting.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2005
    Thanks, went to walmart tonight and picked up 4 yards of a black silk like cloth. Should make for a great background for larger things such as people, etc.