D80 on the Way

VapourTrailVapourTrail Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited November 7, 2007 in Cameras
Well after many hours of thought I've taken the plunge and just ordered a Nikon D80 together with the 18-200mm VR lens. Had decided on the D80 some time ago to replace my old Canon EOS 5 film SLR but could not decide which lens to get to go with the D80. Good reviews of the 18-200 VR are posted on various forums however, the cost was slightly putting me off. In the end I've decided to bite the bullet and spend the extra on this lens which will replace my 28-105mm and 100-300mm Canon lenses in a single lens. Sadly now got to wait for the gear to arrive with the courier! Cheaper on the Net but sadly you don't get the satisfaction of going into the shop and then taking home your shiny new purchase with you. Never mind, small price to pay.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited November 3, 2007
    Welcome to the Digital Grin and congratulations on your decision. The Nikon D80 is a sweet camera.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • straylightstraylight Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 3, 2007
    Definitely a sweet camera...
    Good choice. I have had my D80 about a month and I am enjoying it immensely. Sure, it has it quirks and limitations but...it's all about the images.
    Good luck and enjoy.
    216463832-L.jpg
  • JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2007
    I've enjoyed my D80...have fun! :):
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • J.T.J.T. Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2007
    Well after many hours of thought I've taken the plunge and just ordered a Nikon D80 together with the 18-200mm VR lens. Had decided on the D80 some time ago to replace my old Canon EOS 5 film SLR but could not decide which lens to get to go with the D80. Good reviews of the 18-200 VR are posted on various forums however, the cost was slightly putting me off. In the end I've decided to bite the bullet and spend the extra on this lens which will replace my 28-105mm and 100-300mm Canon lenses in a single lens. Sadly now got to wait for the gear to arrive with the courier! Cheaper on the Net but sadly you don't get the satisfaction of going into the shop and then taking home your shiny new purchase with you. Never mind, small price to pay.

Awesome camera! I've had my D80 almost a year now and love it. I spent many months of research, waiting, and looking into either the Canon xti or D80 and ultimately went with the D80. In case you ever hear the faint rattle noise inside, like a ball bearing rolling around, don't worry, it's normal and it's just the image orientation bearing rolling around. I actually sent mine in a month ago to find out that it's totally normal. It took me almost a year to hear it, but needless to say, it's perfectly fine. Good luck!
    John "J.T."
    http://johnthiele.smugmug.com

Nikon D80 w/MB-D80 vertical grip
    Tokina 50-135 f/2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D
    Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G
    Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR

RPS Studio Rotating Flash Bracket

SB 600

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter." -- Ansel Adams
  • i_worship_the_Kingi_worship_the_King Registered Users Posts: 548 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2007
    Congrats on the D80! clap.gif

I just picked up a 50mm f1.8D from B&H this weekend. It's GORGEOUS indoors - I absolutely love it. For $120 it can't be beat. Thought you might want to know :D
    I make it policy to never let ignorance stand in the way of my opinion. ~Justiceiro

"Your decisions on whether to buy, when to buy and what to buy should depend on careful consideration of your needs primarily, with a little of your wants thrown in for enjoyment, After all photography is a hobby, even for pros."
    ~Herbert Keppler
  • VapourTrailVapourTrail Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited November 6, 2007
    Well my D80 with 18-200mm VR has arrived. So begins a new adventure.
  • kirbinsterkirbinster Registered Users Posts: 301 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007

You will love it, I have one with that lens and the 70-300VR - both great. The 18-200 has such range it is great. I have a D40 with a 18-55 and a 55-200VR and always seemed to have the wrong lens on the camera.

Here is a shot I took with the 18-200VR last night on my new tripod with no flash at a 20 second exposure:

1879738826_37eeb115a4.jpg
    Nikon D700, D300, D5000 , Nikon 85mm f/1.8, 28-300 AF-S VRII, 70-300AF-S VR, 70-200 AF-S VR f/2.8, 10.5mm Fisheye, Sigma 12-24mm, Nikon 24-70 f/2.8, 2 SB-600 Speedlights Manfrotto 190MF3 tripod & 322RC2 ball grip head. - NJ, USA
    Flickr Photobucket
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    How about some pics from your great new purchase!
  • Ken LappKen Lapp Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007

Have fun! That's a great camera and a great lens. I do recommend Thom Hogan's book on the D80 http://www.bythom.com/d80guide.htm

Show us a few images when you have a chance!
    Ken Lapp, White Hawk Images
    Portrait, Wedding & Event Photography

• VapourTrailVapourTrail Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited November 7, 2007
    Here are the very first couple of images I took. Not fantastic, just checking that the camera was working okay. The only change I've made to the images is to resize them in Elements.

dsc0001lv2.jpg

dsc0002it3.jpg