Nikkor Lenses for Macro?

QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
edited November 6, 2007 in Holy Macro
What do you reccomend? I am looking to spend $300-400.

Thanks
D700, D600
14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
85 and 50 1.4
45 PC and sb910 x2
http://www.danielkimphotography.com

Comments

• teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2007
    No Expert but...
    I am new to Macro myself... just been learning the past couple of months.
    But... I did find a 105 f2.8 (non VR) used at a local camera shop for around $200.00. I have really injoyed it. Combine it with some extension tubes, and you will have fun looking at a whole new world. I also have a 50mm f1.4 that I use but with the tubes added you have to get really close. I am using a D200 with both len's I have to manual focus. I have found it easyer to focus by moveing closer or further away from the subject. Good Luck... Next time post some pictures. MM
    “I love not man the less, but Nature more.”
    — Lord Byron
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2007
    Qarik wrote:

Thanks

Sorry Qarik, I'm a Canon Girl through and through :D

Hopefully some Nikonian will help you out here .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited November 4, 2007
    The 60mm micro Nikkor has been around for some time, but is said to be as sharp as a razor.

Tamron makes a 90mm macro, and Sigma makes 105mm macro = both are very good lenses, and can probably be found used in your price range.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Sorry Qarik, I'm a Canon Girl through and through :D

Hopefully some Nikonian will help you out here .... Skippy :D

=p thanks skippy. Let me ask this another way. If I get the all in one 18-200mm Nikkor VR lense...wilt this suffice as a macro lense? I really just want one or two lenses and that is it. I plan to get this lense anway since so many folks hae reviewed it so well as an all purpose lense but it is $750..so it would be nice if I can use this as a macro as well
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2007
    Qarik wrote:
    =p thanks skippy. Let me ask this another way. If I get the all in one 18-200mm Nikkor VR lense...wilt this suffice as a macro lense? I really just want one or two lenses and that is it. I plan to get this lense anway since so many folks hae reviewed it so well as an all purpose lense but it is $750..so it would be nice if I can use this as a macro as well

You could probably use the 18-200 in combination with some extension tubes (eg Kenko) to get some reasonable close ups, but even then you would be better off using a 50mm lens and extension tubes. You could also look at getting a good quality add on doptre eg canon 250D or 500D to put on the front.
    In the end though if you are serious about macro shooting nothing beats a macro prime lens - the Tamron 90, sigma 105, would all be good.

Brian V.
  • JetCrocodileJetCrocodile Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2007
    Qarik wrote:

Thanks
    Do not forget reversed technique. Nikon 50mm f/1.8 with BR2A reverse ring can do the job just fine. While it is not expensive at all there are some drawbacks, namely:deal.gif
    DOF is quite shallow, you should be really close to the subject, no auto focusing and no metering at all (this is fully manual technique mwink.gif)

Good luck!
    JetCrocodile
    http://www.jetcrocodile.smugmug.com/
  • 46thga46thga Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    Qarik,

I have a Nikon D80 and the 18-200mm VR lens, but for macro I use a Nikkor 50mm 1.8 prime (a very good and inexpensive lens) with Kenko extension tubes.

Or I also use the 50mm reversed which is a good option for macro on the cheap.

As people have already said in this thread, these are good options for you that are fairly cheap. Either option will give you a lot of fun and experience with macro. From what I've learned, when you are ready to move to a higher level, a dedicated macro lens will be better than these "intro" options.

The first thing I bought for experimenting with macro was the Canon 500D Close up "lens" that Brian mentioned. It's not really macro and it's not really a lens, but I am glad I have it.
  • Van IsleVan Isle Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    Qarik wrote:
    = If I get the all in one 18-200mm Nikkor VR lense...wilt this suffice as a macro lense?

NO!

I love this lens, have had it for a while and it is always on my camera, but I'm an F8 be there kinda shooter.

I'd say it's not sharp enough, and there is too much distortion at the wider end. And macro is all about detail. I haven't seen one macro shot in recent memory from a Nikkor 18-200VR. Tubes or not (tho' I've never tried it...)

Try it, maybe with borrowed gear, and see if you like the results. The unfortunt problem with our addiction is that it makes us perfectionist who require top-notch results when we are ready for it. I don't think that lens will do it for macro at all.

Cheers,
    VI
    dgrin.com - making my best shots even better since 2006.
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    The 60mm micro Nikkor has been around for some time, but is said to be as sharp as a razor.

Tamron makes a 90mm macro, and Sigma makes 105mm macro = both are very good lenses, and can probably be found used in your price range.

Lets not forget the great Tokina 100mm/2.8 AT-X Pro Macro 1:1 :D
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston