Inheritance... Worth Something?

Phatman113Phatman113 Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited November 4, 2007 in Cameras
My step dad gave me one of his old cameras (He's not much of a photographer) but it doesn't seem like I can use his lenses...:dunno

He gave me an old 35mm Canon... (AE-1 Program is the only label type writing on the camera) I've got a Rebel XTI but the lenses don't fit... I thought Canon lenses fit most/all Canon cameras, but I could be fairly mistaken and these could be pretty damn old...:scratch Not sure what type of quality the glass is, but he gave me a fixed 50mm lens and a fixed 28mm lens.

I can post pics of them if that would help, I'm really just curious if I should attempt to do anything with them, or sell them to an antique shop. :rofl

Thanks for the input!
http://phatman113.smugmug.com
Canon Digital Rebel XTi :lust
- Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM lens :lust
- Kit lens...:cry

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited November 4, 2007
    Those would be Canon FD series lenses, and no - sorry - they won't fit the more modern Canon designs.

The latest design (to fit all Canon SLR's and dSLR's made in the last 17 years) are the EF (Electric Focus) type.

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/index.html
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2007
    David, it is possible to use most MF lenses on Canon digi-bods with the proper adapter because of the much shorter register distance Canon uses. This includes lenses by Nikon, Pentax (M42), Minolta, M39, ect...
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited November 4, 2007
    Seymore wrote:
    David, it is possible to use most MF lenses on Canon digi-bods with the proper adapter because of the much shorter register distance Canon uses. This includes lenses by Nikon, Pentax (M42), Minolta, M39, ect...

Yes, but at a cost, and they'd be all manual operation. Not fun for quick shooting.

An FD superior lens like a 500, 600 or 1000mm would definately be worth converting. Not as much if it's an old 50mm, f/2.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    Yes, but at a cost, and they'd be all manual operation. Not fun for quick shooting.

An FD superior lens like a 500, 600 or 1000mm would definitely be worth converting. Not as much if it's an old 50mm, f/2.
    Hey... ya gotta start somewhere, right? mwink.gif

Ummmmm, and just to add something... I don't think Ansel Adams shot with "quick shooting" in mind. Some great shots are captured when you slow down and spend time exploring what your camera/lens setup is really capable of.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2007
    Phatman113 wrote:
    My step dad gave me one of his old cameras (He's not much of a photographer) but it doesn't seem like I can use his lenses...ne_nau.gif

He gave me an old 35mm Canon... (AE-1 Program is the only label type writing on the camera) I've got a Rebel XTI but the lenses don't fit... I thought Canon lenses fit most/all Canon cameras, but I could be fairly mistaken and these could be pretty damn old...headscratch.gif Not sure what type of quality the glass is, but he gave me a fixed 50mm lens and a fixed 28mm lens.

I can post pics of them if that would help, I'm really just curious if I should attempt to do anything with them, or sell them to an antique shop. rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the input!

I think a lot of us on the board has an old AE-1 lying in the bottom draw with a heap of lenses for it. Im eventually going to convert mine to a pinhole camera. The lenses...well they are paper weights for me.