Opinions from those that matter

PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
edited November 8, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
I will be replacing my dual 20" monitors in a couple of months, I want a single large screen instead. What would be your choice in a 24, 27, or 30" monitor and why?

Thanks for all the help!

-Mike

Oh, priced less then or the same as the Apple 30" display.... That might help too.
Mike LaPorte
Perfect Pix

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2007
    Poseidon wrote:
    I will be replacing my dual 20" monitors in a couple of months, I want a single large screen instead. What would be your choice in a 24, 27, or 30" monitor and why?

Thanks for all the help!

-Mike

Oh, priced less then or the same as the Apple 30" display.... That might help too.
    Im no expert however i just did a lot of research on 24" units on the net & BenQ LCD FP241W had great reviews from what i read.
  • PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2007
    Thanks Gus, I'll check that one out.
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2007
    wouldn't say I matter, but if you want an opinion....
    Personally, I'd start my search with whatever samsung is offering in LCDs now. I've not looked in a while, but the last two times I looked their screens had the balance between cost and quality that seemed to hit the sweet spot for me. (I've got 2x 244t here on my G5, and the wife now enjoy's my old 213t on her mini.)

A quick look turns up a new 30" syncmaster with 2560x1600 resolution and glowing reviews. It's $500 cheaper than the 30" Apple HD Cinema display, but offers the same resolution. Looks to have a higher contrast ratio and a better response time as well.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
    edited November 5, 2007
    Thanks Cabby, I am gun shy on Samsung though. I had a 22" CRT from them that went bad, they replaced it, and it went bad again. The second time they replaced it with a 204B LCD, and I liked it so much I went bought a second one for my MacPro. Then POW a single pixel black line appeared all the way acrossed the screen! Samsung replaced/repaired that one, but now that same screen is acting really weird, when I "wake up" the computer in the morning that screen is VERY Dark, and flickers like crazy for about 10-15 minutes until it warms up, then it is OK, but I know it is going to fail soon.

I know now that the 204B is a TN panel, and I have learned to deal with the color shifts that appear when I move my head. I really want to avoid TN panels with my next purchase, for obvious reasons.

I am hoping that someone can give first hand experience on the Apple, or Dell 30".

Oh, and you opinion certainly DOES MATTER!!!
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    Hi Mike,

Here's a link to a site where you can see different monitors and their panel specs. Very useful in finding out what monitors have S-IPS or S-PVA or whatever panel you want. Just type in S-IPS, etc., and it will list the monitors. Not sure how up to date it is, but could help.

http://www.flatpanels.dk/panels.php
  • bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 6, 2007
    Just out of curiosity, why are you going back to a single monitor setup?

I just switched from 3 24" monitors to 2 30" monitors and while the 30's absolutely dwarf the 24's in terms of screen real estate, I miss having that extra monitor.

Maybe its just the way i'm used to working but I like having separate physical monitors for certain things. I have email and chat programs on one, browsers and terminals on another and my code window on the third. With one monitor you'll have all kinds of windows stacked. ne_nau.gif

My recommendation would be dual 24's (I had Dell 2407's which i think are about $650 now). If you still decide on a single monitor setup, do the 30". The Dell 3007's are beautiful and about $1500 (vs the $1800 for apple 30")
    Pedal faster
    edited November 7, 2007
    Mick, thanks for the link!

bigwebguy, I want a single to monitor because I am tired of calibrating 2 screens, (I know I don't HAVE to.) I want consitancy across my entire work area, and I need to get rid of the 2 TN panels before I go insane!

I pair of 24" monitors actually sound interesting, but I will still be doing the calibration twice.... A single 27 or 30 would be simpler, I think.
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    bigwebguy wrote:
    Just out of curiosity, why are you going back to a single monitor setup?

I just switched from 3 24" monitors to 2 30" monitors and while the 30's absolutely dwarf the 24's in terms of screen real estate, I miss having that extra monitor.

Maybe its just the way i'm used to working but I like having separate physical monitors for certain things. I have email and chat programs on one, browsers and terminals on another and my code window on the third. With one monitor you'll have all kinds of windows stacked. ne_nau.gif

My recommendation would be dual 24's (I had Dell 2407's which i think are about $650 now). If you still decide on a single monitor setup, do the 30". The Dell 3007's are beautiful and about $1500 (vs the $1800 for apple 30")
    I was thinking that maybe I'd go for a wall o' monitors. I don't know, maybe 300 or 500 of them? I'll need a bigger house and a different wife, but I think that's probably worth the convenience of having each application nestled into its own workspace.

mwink.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 8, 2007
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I was thinking that maybe I'd go for a wall o' monitors. I don't know, maybe 300 or 500 of them? I'll need a bigger house and a different wife, but I think that's probably worth the convenience of having each application nestled into its own workspace.

mwink.gif
    shutup you.

having windows visible > having to move windows around/alt+tab or win+tab (which is worthless in vista)/go to the taskbar

i would never be able to go back to a single monitor. no matter the size.
    Pedal faster
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    bigwebguy wrote:
    shutup you.

having windows visible > having to move windows around/alt+tab or win+tab (which is worthless in vista)/go to the taskbar

i would never be able to go back to a single monitor. no matter the size.
    lol3.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/