Good Camera for a 11 year old

LabmanLabman Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
edited November 5, 2007 in Cameras
I am getting my daughter a camera for Christmas I want something small light easy to use lots of features. she really enjoys photography and I want to encourage her. like to say no more then $300 or real close prefer closer to $200-$250 your thoughts would be great. and video capability would be a plus.
Camera 40D (sweet) Yes I am still trying to learn to use it! Father,Dog Lover,Computers,Aquariums And loving life! :barb

Comments

• JESTERJESTER Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    Labman, Hopefully you are talking about a "point and shoot" for that price. My kids get lucky. They get all my "old" stuff when I upgrade. But the major manufacturers all make some great cameras. And these days they all have tons of bells and whistles. I own or have owned Nikon, Sony and Canon point and shoot cameras. Some people on this forum swear by Fuji but I can't tell you anything about them first hand. I suggest you go to a local camera or electronics store and look at a few. I like the big 3" sceeens they have on them now. And some are so thin you can carry them in a shirt pocket. I suggest getting her something like that to start her learning curve with.

Dave J
    Mamiya 645; Mamiya RZ67 ProII;
    Nikon D200, D100, F100; N90S;
    Canon G9
  • hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    I concur with Jester ... look at several at your local camera store, WalMart, or Circuit City and go from there.

Also, while this may not pertain to you and your daughter, others may be interested to know that ToysRUs has several 5mp cameras for youngsters at sub-100 prices. For example: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2665505. And, until they get used to taking care of a camera, perhaps sub-100 prices are best for younger kids.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    Canon A-series are fairly durable, allow full manual control, and I believe take video. If you get real motivated, there is a bayonet adapter (for filters and wide-angle or telephoto lensees) that fits some of the models. Some have IS, if that is a priority. Would seem like a great camera to grow with.

I think the A570 IS and maybe even the A710 IS are in your stated price range, but I may be thinking of the Canadian MSRP.

Above all, go poke around at a store and see what you like.
  • k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    I started out on a Fuji 5200, I thought that was a great camera to learn on, lots of features, including raw capabilities, great zoom, great macro... sucked in low light conditions, but I think they have resolved some of those issues on the newer models...