logging in/out

katiesheridanphotographykatiesheridanphotography Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
edited November 5, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I have a macbook pro and can not log out of my account to see my site as viewers see it!!! I've never been able to, but now I'm starting to use my macbook to show customers my site and want to be able to log out to view it. I've tried in safari and fire fox, same thing in both. any ideas of why?

Comments

• GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    I have a macbook pro and can not log out of my account to see my site as viewers see it!!! I've never been able to, but now I'm starting to use my macbook to show customers my site and want to be able to log out to view it. I've tried in safari and fire fox, same thing in both. any ideas of why?

I'm no expert on SM (I ask a lot of questions), but I had a similar problem when I first started and the answer I received was basically: Only log in and log out from a smugmug URL. In other words, either go to www.smugmug.com or yourname.smugmug.com to both log in and log out.

Not sure if this is the same problem, but it worked for me.

- Gary.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    GJMPhoto wrote:
    In other words, either go to www.smugmug.com or yourname.smugmug.com
    15524779-Ti.gif

It can actually be any xxxx.smugmug.com website, just don't use your custom domain thumb.gif
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    I've also moved this to the Smug Support forum, btw.
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

It can actually be any xxxx.smugmug.com website, just don't use your custom domain thumb.gif

Wouldn't it be possible for you guys to fix this so that users with custom domains don't have to know this? If the user clicks on the login link and they are not in a smugmug.com domain, just redirect them to a login window on www.smugmug.com. Similarly for log out.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Wouldn't it be possible for you guys to fix this so that users with custom domains don't have to know this? If the user clicks on the login link and they are not in a smugmug.com domain, just redirect them to a login window on www.smugmug.com. Similarly for log out.
    No clue, sorry - I do know that there's plenty of voodoo and sorcery around the CNAMEs and cookies.

We can ask, but there are more things more important than this on the plate right now, I'm afraid.

Thanks!
  • katiesheridanphotographykatiesheridanphotography Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    Okay, I went to katiesheridanphotography.smugmug.com and it looks as though i'm not logged in....BUT when i click on any of my links it goes back to me being logged in again. i can't log out from katiesheridanphotography.smugmug.com and log back in b/c i'm already logged out at that point!!!
  • docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 5, 2007
    Hi Katie,

I am sorry that you are having trouble with this. I experienced something similar a few months ago, and it just seemed to stop. I think I know what caused it. It is possible that you have a persistent cookie. The logged in and out cookies should clear out when you hit the "logout" button. But for some reason occasionally stick. Try the following to see if it corrects the problem.

Step by step for Firefox: http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/3232591

To clear the cookies in Firefox on a Mac, click on "Tools". Then click on "Clear Private Data..." That will bring up a little window. Make sure the check box for Cookies is selected and then click on "Clear Private Data Now". That's all there is to it.

Step by step for Safari: http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/3232625

To clear your cookies, click on the Safari menu and select Preferences. There will be a window pop up. Select the Security tab. Then click on the Show Cookies. If you have some cookies that you want to save from other sites, you can select SmugMug cookies and then click on the Remove button. That will remove individual cookies. Otherwise, just click on Remove All ant that will remove all of your cookies.

Once you clear out the cookie, close your browser and reopen it. Then try to access your site again. Please let me know if that fixes the problem.

--Doc
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com