Business Casual

gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
edited November 6, 2007 in People
Been contracted to do some business portraits tomorrow for a mortgage company. Had a little practice session with the wife testing out what light setup would work the best.

It started out rated pg-13 ended up being a maxim shoot :)

Safe to say the business portraits will have less underwear involved lol

Used 2 lights one rim and one main on camera axis using a reflector with a clamshell setup.

88462094.jpg
http://www.reverbphotography.com
Nikon D300
Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
Nikkor 80-200 AF-D ED f/2.8
2 Alien Bees AB800
Nikon Speedlight SB800
Elinchrome Skyport Triggers

Comments

• NachoNacho Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    Well, both a gorgeous wife and a gorgeous shot. Nice smoothness, great lighting. I'm particularly captivated by the texture of the various fabrics and surfaces -- the lighting truly makes that come forth.

Not sure about the black on black of the backdrop, it does make for a particular look, but might not be the one for business portraits...

However, your shot raises a question for me. Does Dgrin have a forum for elegant nudes or figure studies? Even one with regulated access?

Best,

N
    Exposure Latitude(s).com
    "The temple bell stops but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers." -- Basho
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    gmonkeh wrote:
    ... Safe to say the business portraits will have less underwear involved lol...

Does this mean no underwear?rolleyes1.gif

Nice shot and good looking model you got there.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • 1145climber1145climber Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    Was there any post-processing involved in this shot?

It's weird to say this to you about your wife... hahaha... but her skin looks really smooth and beautiful. Is that how it was captured from the camera, or did you do something to it?
  • candersoncanderson Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    Nacho wrote:
    Does Dgrin have a forum for elegant nudes or figure studies? Even one with regulated access?

15524779-Ti.gif If not they should!

Andy, Would you care to comment?
    Chris Anderson
    Canon EOS 20D
    http://www.lazycreekphoto.com

Teddy Roosevelt Revised: "Walk softly and carry a big lens."
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    did you do something to it?

I'm sorry. But that's the best straight line I've seen here in a while.mwink.gif
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    Icebear wrote:
    Was there any post-processing involved in this shot?

It's weird to say this to you about your wife... hahaha... but her skin looks really smooth and beautiful. Is that how it was captured from the camera, or did you do something to it?

I'm sorry. But that's the best straight line I've seen here in a while.mwink.gif

To keep it clean yes I did. Just involved doing a bit of dodging and burning to enhance highlights and shadows. In terms of nudes and body studies, these photos aren't that bad. There's a hint of sensuality yes but no different than seeing someone in a bathing suit really.

A couple more from the session...

88508868.jpg

88508867.jpg
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
  • pnphotopnphoto Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    Great photos, but that has been said already....

Ummmmm, but why are you posting on here? Don't you have other things to do when you are at home?

To be honest, I think I split my appendix at the "what did you do to it" question.
    Pete

www.pnphoto.smugmug.com

I know this is very subjective but I think these are way overprocessed. Your wife is beautiful as is but your treatment of her skin makes her look fake. In the last two I would say she almost looks like a computer rendered image. Especially against the background that has little to no manipulation. Skin needs processing, but I think you need to dodge and burn less and leave some texture to the skin.

If you are trying to get a processed look than you are doing a great job. But if you are trying for a smooth, flawless, natural skin, you need to tone down your processing. But as I said, it's subjective. What does your wife think of the processing you do?
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • pyrtekpyrtek Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    I agree with Nick. Both the skin and the eyes are overdone, in my opinion.
    Drop the opacity of those changes down by half and I think you'll get much
    stronger images. Just an opinion, of course.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 6, 2007
    these are great!-

and, as usual, your wife is one pretty lady-

I don't think you'll hear overdone from me (overdone is my middle name)-

I guess it comes down to what you're looking to achieve and who the photos are for-

if you and your wife are happy with the pics, then, there you go-
  • Mrs FMrs F Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    I like these. They remind me of the glamour/fashion shots you see in some glossy magazine adds and I'm thinking that was your intent.

I tried to do this one time to one my models based on your post processing methods you posted in a previous thread and I spent a looooooong time in Photoshop...plus my results weren't nearly as nice as yours so I ended up deleting the image anyway. You make this technique look easy.:D

Kari
    C and C always welcome.
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    That's the words I was looking for, "computer rendered". Some very good computer rendering at that. The background wrinkles are distracting though.
    I was wondering if you could post an original or two for us also.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    In regards to the background this was just a lighting practice session. And I was going for a magazine / Amy Dresser look to the post processing.

I definitely need to get some seamless paper though, as opposed to hanging a bedsheet on the window :)
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800