Grave Stone

NachoNacho Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
edited November 5, 2007 in Landscapes
Just a quick shot I took a few weeks ago. Overexposed, but compelling to me nonetheless. I probably should have waited until it was a bit later in the day and the sun's rays were more slanted and less harsh, and perhaps gotten lower to the ground to have an upward angle. I'll have to make it back there. Thoughts appreciated.

illuminate.jpg
EXIF: Nikon D40, ISO 200, f/8.0, 1/100, 18mm, Handheld

gassho,

N
Exposure Latitude(s).com
"The temple bell stops but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers." -- Basho

Comments

• 1145climber1145climber Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    nice picture.

i think the sun is cool-looking, but presents an issue: my eye keeps jumping back and forth from the gravestone to the sun, and i cant focus on either of them. it's like there are two subjects.

my recommendation would be to get another shot with the sun not so distracting, and try to get some texture in the sky.

other than that, good job!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    I don't think it's that overexposed, honestly. Sure the sky has no detail but it's already dappled with the silhouette of the trees - that's fine! And there are plenty of shadows in the grass and stones.

When trying the Muench star trick I always end up shooting at the wrong time of the day. Timing on those is sure trucky!
  • NachoNacho Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    Thanks for the thoughts. You know, I think Climber nailed it. That sun is overblown and truly competes. Then again, that back and forth between tombstone and sun might very well be the key to the pic, and the "move" from one to the other keeps me "getting into" the photograph. Maybe that's what it does to other viewers as well?

I also did not have a graduated neutral density with me... and the sky... well you see it. I'm glad I had the chance to take the shot while I was there however.

Thanks again, :D

N
    Exposure Latitude(s).com
    "The temple bell stops but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers." -- Basho