Un-official Unsolicited Vista and Windows 7 Advice Thread

Comments

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    Ok let me redo this tonite when I get home. I may have lead you wrong, since I actually tried to link to the url with my Firefox, so that is why I saw the cert challenges. I did not do this via network connctions so will try again and reconfirm. Sorry bout that

Sloyeroll:

I too can not connect via the instructions on the Wiki via Vista. But, I googled and found that there are two MS hotfixes that are said to resolve WebDAV issues.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=907306

will give it a go, see what happens

edit: this works...add this update, and you can connect to smugdav as you expect...good luck!
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2008
    BEAUTIFUL!!!

Thanks a ton!

Hey Andy, you may want to add this to the end of that wiki documentation at your leisure. :D
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    Looks like Apple has finally released a version of iTunes for Vista 64 bit. This is the only thing that was holding me back* -so I think I found my rainy saturday afternoon project.

*Not that I like iTunes - I actually hate it (bulky, slow). Still, I have an iPhone for work and that doesn't leave me any options.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    BEAUTIFUL!!!

Thanks a ton!

Hey Andy, you may want to add this to the end of that wiki documentation at your leisure. :D
    'tis a wiki - please go and add it, yourself, thanks!
    edited June 22, 2008
    Backing up Outlook 2007
    I'm about to upgrade to Vista 64bit and have everything covered except outlook. I need to figure out how to export all my email, folders, calendars so I can reload MS Office and then import my email so it was nothing ever happened.

I keep outlook on my local machine. Planning on firing up an exchange server in the future. Just don't have time for it now. Any ideas or links would be much obliged.

TIA,
    -Jon
    edited June 23, 2008
    I assume that you use POP e-mail?

Here's what I do (keeps two copies of all data - double-safe):

1) Open Outlook - click "File" - "Import and Export" - select "Export to a file" - select "Personal Folder File (.pst)" - select "Personal Folders" - check the box that says "include subfolders" - click "Next" - browse to the desktop and save the file there as personalfolders.pst (click finish) - Click "okay" on the last screen (don't worry about a password) - Wait.

2) Repeat the process but this time instead of highlighting "Personal Folders" highlight only the "Contacts" folder and name the backup "Contacts.pst" on the screen where you choose the save location

3) Repeat the process but this time do Calendar

4) (For this step to work you need to make sure that hidden files are viewable) Close Outlook - go to "Computer" and click on your main data drive (C:?). Browse to C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook - Copy Outlook.pst to the desktop.

Backup all the files you saved to the dekstop: outlook.pst, personalfolders.pst, calendar.pst, contacts.pst

5) Once Outlook is installed and up and running on the new machine, open it. It will ask if you want to set up a new e-mail account - click yes and go through that process.

6) Once the account is set up and Outlook is running as normal (it will recieve the e-mails you've gotten since you did your backup) - go to "File" - "Import and Export" - click "Next" (Import from another program or file will already be highlighted) - select "Personal Folder File (.pst)" from the list and click "Next" - browse to the location of your backup and select the Outlook.pst file and click "next" - on the next screen make sure that "Personal Folders" is highlighted in the top box and that "Include Subfolders" is checked. Fill in the bubble next to "Import items into the same folder in" and make sure that "Personal Folders" is selected in the drop-down box. Click Finish and you're ready to go.

Only if (for some reason) that doesn't work do you need to use the contacts.pst, calendar.pst, and personalfolders.pst backups that we made.
    edited June 23, 2008
    Awesome Paul. Thanks!

I already have a level of redundancy since I FWD all email to a gmail archive account. But I wanted to keep everything intact for the migration.
  • Ihatevista64Ihatevista64 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 17, 2008
    Can't import PST files in Outlook2000 on Vista64
    I'm a newbie so please excuse any protocol violations. I'm getting an Outlook 2000 error message when I try importing the pst message files I copied from my old Dell Win98 machine to my new Vista64 laptop. Outlook 2000 is working okay on the Vista64 pc SO FAR (mail is coming in and going out). But I'm trying to import my old calendar, notes, contacts, messages, etc. I keep getting an error message when I click the "OPEN" button after I've clicked on the pst filename I want to import. The error message reads: "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook". However, restarting Outlook doesn't solve anything. Please help me!
    =========

6) Once the account is set up and Outlook is running as normal (it will recieve the e-mails you've gotten since you did your backup) - go to "File" - "Import and Export" - click "Next" (Import from another program or file will already be highlighted) - select "Personal Folder File (.pst)" from the list and click "Next" - browse to the location of your backup and select the Outlook.pst file and click "next" - on the next screen make sure that "Personal Folders" is highlighted in the top box and that "Include Subfolders" is checked. Fill in the bubble next to "Import items into the same folder in" and make sure that "Personal Folders" is selected in the drop-down box. Click Finish and you're ready to go.
    edited October 20, 2008
    I'm a newbie so please excuse any protocol violations. I'm getting an Outlook 2000 error message when I try importing the pst message files I copied from my old Dell Win98 machine to my new Vista64 laptop. Outlook 2000 is working okay on the Vista64 pc SO FAR (mail is coming in and going out). But I'm trying to import my old calendar, notes, contacts, messages, etc. I keep getting an error message when I click the "OPEN" button after I've clicked on the pst filename I want to import. The error message reads: "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook". However, restarting Outlook doesn't solve anything. Please help me!

Do you get this error when you import "Outlook.pst" or when you import "Calendar.pst" and "Contacts.pst" per the instructions above?

If your nickname is true you might want to forget about this particular problem and install another OS?
  • CatoCato Registered Users Posts: 287 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    How large is the .pst file? This error can occur if the .pst is too large, corrupted, or was password-protected.
    http://catographer.smugmug.com/

Shooter on a shoestring.
    edited January 5, 2009
    Finally got around to installing the Windows 7 beta I've had laying around. I put it on my Macbook Air and it's doing quite well. All the drivers on the included (Apple) DVD work except audio. Once I downloaded the audio driver and installed it everything is peachy. I haven't used it long enough to say much but I can tell that they got UAC right this time. One, instant, pop-up when you perform an administrative-like task (installing, etc.) that goes away instantly when you click "okay." This is how it should have been in Vista (I turned UAC off on every Vista computer I have.)
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    I've been hearing good things about the Beta, especially in terms of speed... so I'm hopeful.
    Chris
  • entropysedgeentropysedge Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    Pupator wrote:
    Finally got around to installing the Windows 7 beta I've had laying around. I put it on my Macbook Air and it's doing quite well. All the drivers on the included (Apple) DVD work except audio. Once I downloaded the audio driver and installed it everything is peachy. I haven't used it long enough to say much but I can tell that they got UAC right this time. One, instant, pop-up when you perform an administrative-like task (installing, etc.) that goes away instantly when you click "okay." This is how it should have been in Vista (I turned UAC off on every Vista computer I have.)

so it could be worthwhile to put it on my vista laptop when it comes out ... that is as long as it isn't a resource hog like vista is.
    edited January 7, 2009
    so it could be worthwhile to put it on my vista laptop when it comes out ... that is as long as it isn't a resource hog like vista is.

I have read that Windows 7 is the first OS release that does not require new hardware specs. Windows 7 is really Vista under the covers, so it makes sense. This has gotta piss off the hardware vendors, who count on new OS to drive new PC sales.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited January 7, 2009
    cmason wrote:
    I have read that Windows 7 is the first OS release that does not require new hardware specs. Windows 7 is really Vista under the covers, so it makes sense. This has gotta piss off the hardware vendors, who count on new OS to drive new PC sales.

Do you mean new as compared to Vista or as compared to XT? Corporate IT resisted Vista in part because of the increased hardware demands. They saw little benefit in chucking hardware that was still serviceable. Of course, by the time 7 SP1 rolls around, all that hardware will be pretty old, so I think the hardware vendors will do well.
    edited January 7, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Do you mean new as compared to Vista or as compared to XT? Corporate IT resisted Vista in part because of the increased hardware demands. They saw little benefit in chucking hardware that was still serviceable. Of course, by the time 7 SP1 rolls around, all that hardware will be pretty old, so I think the hardware vendors will do well.

Sorry I meant compared to Vista. Every OS from MS has increased hardware requirements. This one is expected to reflect same requirements as Vista.

"Contrary to some speculation, Microsoft is not creating a new kernel for Windows 7. Rather, we are refining the kernel architecture and componentization model introduced in Windows Vista. While these changes will increase our engineering agility, they will not impact the user experience or reduce application or hardware compatibility.

In fact, one of our design goals for Windows 7 is that it will run on the recommended hardware we specified for Windows Vista and that the applications and devices that work with Windows Vista will be compatible with Windows 7."
    Windows Team Blog
    edited January 7, 2009
    It also runs fine on XP-like hardware, including systems with 1GB of RAM. So can Vista, incidentally, you just have to disable everything beautiful about it (so why bother?)
    edited October 24, 2009
    Uh :uhoh clicky the picky

689670518_yH4N9-L.jpg

And people call us Apple fan-boys.... rolleyes1.gif
    edited October 24, 2009
    Wow. I have officially been demoted as the resident MS zealot. I thought it was impressive that I received 7 copies of Windows 7 (and have most of them installed already).

I've got nothing on you guys. bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
    edited October 24, 2009
    Pupator wrote:
    Wow. I have officially been demoted as the resident MS zealot. I thought it was impressive that I received 7 copies of Windows 7 (and have most of them installed already).

I've got nothing on you guys. bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
    I've renamed this thread title, btw. Hope that's okay with you!
    edited October 24, 2009
    Having now two Macs and two PCs, I suppose I am firmly in the Agnostic camp, so I suppose I can celebrate releases from both vendors. Anyway, I have installed 7 on one very old Thinkpad T41, with 1GB RAM, and it is running perfectly. There is not a driver for the video card it seems, and it is using the generic one, but I am going to grab the backlevel Vista version as soon as I get a chance. It runs much better than XP did on this machine, but that could come mostly from a nice fresh install. I will upgrade the newer laptop that was 'built for Vista' later this weekend, but expect some improvements.
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2009
    None of the Smug wiki pages will load in either FF3.5.4 or IE8.
    Vista64
    Any ideas?

EDit: FF finally page popped up after many F5's and Cntl-F5's
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • CynthiaMCynthiaM Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2009
    Over the weekend, I installed the Windows 7 upgrade onto a 64 bit Vista system. I was shocked. It went pretty much without incident and the only known fatalities, so to speak are that I have lost some functionality with respect to the multifunction use of my Brother Laser MFC 8220 (no big deal) and it found Roxio 2009 to be incompatible forcing an upgrade.

However, I can no longer see raw thumbnails in explorer. Before I was only able to see the thumbnails if I used the 32 bit explorer, but once they were viewed in 32 bit, they then appeared in 64 bit explorer. But now, I don't see them at all. Any ideas? I don't think Windows 7 even has a 32 bit expolorer, if it does, I can't find it.
    edited November 4, 2009
    CynthiaM wrote:
    However, I can no longer see raw thumbnails in explorer. Before I was only able to see the thumbnails if I used the 32 bit explorer, but once they were viewed in 32 bit, they then appeared in 64 bit explorer. But now, I don't see them at all. Any ideas? I don't think Windows 7 even has a 32 bit expolorer, if it does, I can't find it.

Have you solved this yet? If not, which camera brand?
    edited November 4, 2009
    Pupator wrote:

Well, at least for Vista, this required the Canon codec plugin. but it was never done (by Canon) for x64. Assume similar for Win 7.
    edited November 5, 2009
    Pupator wrote:

Yes and no.
    The "mystery" is solved, I think. It appears that Canon has not written 64bit codecs for windows, be it vista or windows 7. And windows 7 just does not seem to have a 32 bit explorer, I think it was dropped, if not it is buried and I have yet to find it.

Hopefully now that Apple has a 64 bit OS, we will see 64 bit codecs. Don't you just love being a second class citizen?
    edited November 6, 2009
    CynthiaM wrote:
    Yes and no.
    The "mystery" is solved, I think. It appears that Canon has not written 64bit codecs for windows, be it vista or windows 7. And windows 7 just does not seem to have a 32 bit explorer, I think it was dropped, if not it is buried and I have yet to find it.

Hopefully now that Apple has a 64 bit OS, we will see 64 bit codecs. Don't you just love being a second class citizen?

Well some bad news for you on that front. I have Macs, and at least with Snow Leopard, Canon CR2s show perfectly in Finder, without any code from Canon, or any plug-in from Canon, since they show on a Macbook without any photo software at all.
    edited November 6, 2009
    cmason wrote:
    Well some bad news for you on that front. I have Macs, and at least with Snow Leopard, Canon CR2s show perfectly in Finder, without any code from Canon, or any plug-in from Canon, since they show on a Macbook without any photo software at all.

I'm still hopeful that now that the Apple OS is 64 bit that the 64 bit codecs will start to appear for us windows users. It's starting to happen with the 64 bit plugins. A couple years ago, they were unheard of; now you are slowly starting to see them and they really did not start to appear all that much until apple went 64 bit. But right now, even on a pc, I can't really run CS4 as a 64 bit app as I use it mostly to run plugins and most of them are 32 bit so it forces me to use the 32 bit version of CS4. I'm curious, on the mac, does CS4 install as both a 32 bit and 64 bit app like on the pc?
    edited November 6, 2009
    CynthiaM wrote:
    I'm curious, on the mac, does CS4 install as both a 32 bit and 64 bit app like on the pc?

No CS4 is 32bit only on Macs, as Apple ended support for its older 64bit code, and moved to a new one. Snow Leopard is first release of Apple using this new 64bit code for its own embedded apps, btw. Adobe has said future versions of Photoshop will be rewritten and be fully 64bit. For what it is worth, Lightroom 2.x runs 64bit on Mac.

Remember, there is not 64bit vs 32bit 'versions' of OSX...it is all one thing. Leopard was both 32bit and 64 bit, but most of its services were 32bit native. Snow Leopard simply made many services 64 bit native, but it still has 32 bit support. Most Macs will boot in 32bit mode by default, to ensure compatibility, but you can easily force 64 bit mode. In any case, unlike Windows, Macs can handle more than 4GB memory, with the limit being the motherboard chip support: some, mostly older Intel Macs, support only 3-4GB limits. This is a hardware limit, not OS. If you buy a Mac Pro (the big tower) these hardware limits do not exist.

In other words, 64bit on a Mac does not necessarily mean more memory for CS4, like it does for Windows.
    edited November 6, 2009