Senior day 2

Captn14Captn14 Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
edited November 6, 2007 in People
2nd day out . .Still not sure . .

All comments welcome.

217904610-L.jpg

217485260-L.jpg

I know I cut off the shoe. . .This was just a quick grab shot as he was
walking to the next area. I just liked how he was looking back.

217429733-L.jpg

Rod

Comments

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    The crossed arms don't do it for me. I do like the BW conversion, but again not the crossed arms or missing foot. A " walking away looking over the shoulder" shot is popular, but you need to leave some space around him in case you want a 5x7 or 8x10. The first photo appears to be lasking contrast....at least to me. The black point and contrast in #2 is much better in my opinion. Does he play sports? music? hobbies? If you can include elements from those activities it will give him something to do with his hands.......holding a ball....washing his car....holding a musical instrument. Try to have fun with it....for both of you.

BTW great looking kid. I know you must be proud. I have a senior daughter this year. Bittersweet huh?

Here is a link to a thread with a few that I shot last week for a client. Not that they are "all that", but maybe it will give you some ideas. Another shot that many want include railroad tracks vanishing into the horizon.

the link
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=75403
  • Captn14Captn14 Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    The crossed arms don't do it for me. I do like the BW conversion, but again not the crossed arms or missing foot. A " walking away looking over the shoulder" shot is popular, but you need to leave some space around him in case you want a 5x7 or 8x10. The first photo appears to be lasking contrast....at least to me. The black point and contrast in #2 is much better in my opinion. Does he play sports? music? hobbies? If you can include elements from those activities it will give him something to do with his hands.......holding a ball....washing his car....holding a musical instrument. Try to have fun with it....for both of you.

BTW great looking kid. I know you must be proud. I have a senior daughter this year. Bittersweet huh?

Here is a link to a thread with a few that I shot last week for a client. Not that they are "all that", but maybe it will give you some ideas. Another shot that many want include railroad tracks vanishing into the horizon.

the link
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=75403

Thanks Jeff . .I have crops of all these ( 5x7 -8x10 etc. ) I can see what you mean about the contrast and I'll take another look - it seemed fine on my screen at first. We will be moving indoors for a few shots and will try some other things. Thanks for the suggestions.

Congrats on your senior also . This is my youngest as my oldest graduated 2 years ago.

Rod

edited November 5, 2007
    Congrats on your senior also . This is my youngest as my oldest graduated 2 years ago.

Our baby is a sophmore, and we also have a son who (fingers crossed) should be graduating from college next May as well.

My oldest daughter(the sr) cheers, and Friday night after we lost by 4 points the district championship I found a few of the senior cheerleaders crying. I asked if it wasa because they realized it was probably their last time to cheer in that stadium.......dumb me.....turns out it was only because they lost. However, the ones who weren't crying bagan since it had been pointed out that we will probably play our playoff games away.

At least boys aren't quite that emotional about getting done with high school.

I don't do any indoor/studio type portrait work so I cannot help you there at all. I think the best medicine....at least for me is to study other photographer's work to see what you like/ don't like and then go from there. The kids are usually more than willing to do something that is completely outside the box!!
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    My favorite of this set is #2. I don't mind the crossed arms. The composition and setting is quite nice. It feels a little tightly cropped at the top, IMO. I agree that #1 looks like it's lacking contrast and maybe could have used a touch of fill flash. His eyes are more clear and pop more in #2. The B&W is a nice conversion, but here the crossed arms don't seem quite right...most people don't walk with their arms crossed.

You're getting some very nice senior shots of your son and you should be proud of him and you! thumb.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited November 5, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    My favorite of this set is #2. I don't mind the crossed arms. The composition and setting is quite nice. It feels a little tightly cropped at the top, IMO. I agree that #1 looks like it's lacking contrast and maybe could have used a touch of fill flash. His eyes are more clear and pop more in #2. The B&W is a nice conversion, but here the crossed arms don't seem quite right...most people don't walk with their arms crossed.

You're getting some very nice senior shots of your son and you should be proud of him and you! thumb.gif

Thanks Elaine. I had to laugh cause he didn't even know I took that photo and actually was walking that way cause we had been walking around for a while and it was getting kinda cool down be the river. I'll play with some crops and see what I get. I am sure he and his mom ( my - ex ) will tell me if they will be good enough. Also will try some inside stuff later.

Rod

edited November 5, 2007
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Our baby is a sophmore, and we also have a son who (fingers crossed) should be graduating from college next May as well.

My oldest daughter(the sr) cheers, and Friday night after we lost by 4 points the district championship I found a few of the senior cheerleaders crying. I asked if it wasa because they realized it was probably their last time to cheer in that stadium.......dumb me.....turns out it was only because they lost. However, the ones who weren't crying bagan since it had been pointed out that we will probably play our playoff games away.

At least boys aren't quite that emotional about getting done with high school.

I don't do any indoor/studio type portrait work so I cannot help you there at all. I think the best medicine....at least for me is to study other photographer's work to see what you like/ don't like and then go from there. The kids are usually more than willing to do something that is completely outside the box!!

Sounds as though you are busy just like I am. It will be a change to not hang around the high school all the time for the events.

Your right - boys could really care less. They just can't wait to get to college.

Rod

• Mrs FMrs F Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    The crossed arms don't seem quite right to me in the black and white shot. I agree with Elaine that it doesn't look like a natural way to walk.

I perused your gallery of his senior photos and you have a lot of nice shots. You did a good job!

What a nice looking kid!
    C and C always welcome.
    edited November 6, 2007
    Captn14 wrote:
    Sounds as though you are busy just like I am. It will be a change to not hang around the high school all the time for the events.

Your right - boys could really care less. They just can't wait to get to college.

Well the youngest has two more years. I still plan to buy my season pass to all the sporting events, and I may work myself into the good graces of the yearbook staff to retain my courtside and sideline access.........just for fun!
    edited November 6, 2007
    Mrs F wrote:
    The crossed arms don't seem quite right to me in the black and white shot. I agree with Elaine that it doesn't look like a natural way to walk.

I perused your gallery of his senior photos and you have a lot of nice shots. You did a good job!

What a nice looking kid!

Thanks much - I know they are not as good as some but he likes them so that's what counts.

Well the youngest has two more years. I still plan to buy my season pass to all the sporting events, and I may work myself into the good graces of the yearbook staff to retain my courtside and sideline access.........just for fun!

I hope it all works out for you. Good luck with you kids. Enjoy them while they are around cause they leave sooner than you want.

Rod