Street: Crossing

seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
edited November 6, 2007 in Landscapes
217980695-XL.jpg

Crossing: Impressions of South Dakota

Brutally honest critque and comment is always most appreciated :))

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    Hey, South Dakota looks lovely!

Really, I like the b/w/sepia treatment. It really adds to the sense of chilly weather that is already present in the stark trees and her sweater/jacket.

I'm still not entirely sure of your message in this series. Is it about the movement of life? Stocking up groceries for a hard winter? Or that all the world can be rendered in pencil sketches? :D
  • NachoNacho Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    I have not seen others in the series, if there are more, but I must say I like the shot. I am drawn to its movement. It reminds me of a cold, windy, and rainy day here in Oregon and me trying to make it home!

I would like to hear more about your photographic imagination here. Is the theme crossing or impressions of South Dakota? What are you trying to convey? I like the woman also, the dark looks are perfect. I wonder if her figure with less blurring might work better? The portion on the right hand side (as I view it) shows some part of a tree but it is too indistinct and does not seem to "go," it makes me want to look elsewhere.

Thanks for sharing this shot!

N
    Exposure Latitude(s).com
    "The temple bell stops but the sound keeps coming out of the flowers." -- Basho
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    Hey, South Dakota looks lovely!

Really, I like the b/w/sepia treatment. It really adds to the sense of chilly weather that is already present in the stark trees and her sweater/jacket.

I'm still not entirely sure of your message in this series. Is it about the movement of life? Stocking up groceries for a hard winter? Or that all the world can be rendered in pencil sketches? :D

Uhhhhm, not sure what to say ... Is it a thematic series, or just a series of street shots from South Dakota? Good question. So far this is the third shot from a three-day trip that i've presented individually. Not sure they would/will work as a whole. Maybe. Essentially, I'm exploring impressions, first glances, passing looks, things seen from the corner of your eye, swallowed without reason. You can make of it what you will beyond that ... but probably not stocking up groceries ;-) BTW, the "pencil sketch" effect is not photoshopped, which some might assume ... it was an intentional 1/30 loosely handheld exposure.

thanks for looking :D
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    seastack wrote:
    exploring impressions, first glances, passing looks, things seen from the corner of your eye, swallowed without reason.

I like the sound of that!
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    I do like the movement, but for me it's almost too much, it makes my eyes go buggy lol, so I keep glancing at it quickly.. It seems almost sad.. lost.. that's just the initial feeling I got from it. i do agree it does seem to convey harsh weather. Neat stuff, i just wish my eyes weren't so sensitive lol
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe