Options

Anyone tried a Phottix $16 cordless remote ?

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited January 21, 2008 in Accessories

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 6, 2007
    It's a painfully simple device, I'm sure it'll work fine.

You could make one of these things out of spare parts on the floor of your truck.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited November 6, 2007
    I'm betting that it uses the same transmitter/receiver ciruitry as the radio slave units of similar construction.

I have 3 of the 16 channel radio slave sets and the 16 channel units are of better quality than the 4 channel (or less) units. The biggest problem is in the transmitter, where the radio transmitter antenna is curved internally and pretty short. Non of my transmitters has false triggering, but only one has reliable triggering. All of the receivers are good.

These camera remotes seem to have a more substantial antenna that I think is a much better emitter for the transmit signal. This a pretty good design improvement.

I suggest that the 300 feet claim for operating distance is not accurate. It's probably more like 35 feet or so.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2007
    Tks guys...at that price i think i have to be the guinea pig.
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2007
    It just arrived & works like a dream... tried it out at 70 feet & no worries at all. Will see if it works at 100 feet later.

Very handy little device for sitting in the car with the camera out in a lightning storm. Which is a little silly as im almost always on a bike.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited November 19, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Very handy little device for sitting in the car with the camera out in a lightning storm. Which is a little silly as im almost always on a bike.
    I can see the headlines now...

"Brisbane Police detain a man sitting in his car overlooking Story Bridge with a small radio-control triggering device..."
    lol3.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2007
    Eh, call me remotely challenged..........I can't get the thing to fire at 3 feet!!!!!!! rolleyes1.gif The transmitter and the remote seem to be communicating to each other. The lens will auto-focus, but I can't get the shutter to release. I've tried different camera settings. Nada. I don't want to mess up my camera....any clues Gus??? eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2007
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2007
    The box said the a battery was included for the transmittor, but there wasn't one. However, it feels like there is one inside the unit. There appears to be no way to open this thing that I can tell. It does light up green, so it must have one inside........right???? Both units light up, the switches are all down, the lens auto-focuses (sometimes) and that's all I can get it to do. The receiver has 2 lights....red when turned on, green and red when transmittor is pushed in halfway for focusing, then turns red when i fully push down on the transmittor, but nothing happens....no shutter release. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2007
  • Options
    Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Well sounds to me like you are doing everything im doing.headscratch.gif

That battery they supply in the reciever is a piece of crap brand...its quite common so maybe try replacing it. I recon any camera place or kmart should have one. Then again...if the light is coming on....it should be ok.

I just tried mine just as we have both described & it works perfectly..focus's & all.

I dont know sorry.

Not sure if you have the same one I do but a number of things I have gotten come with the battery inside BUT wrapped in plastic. Maybe it is and for some reason sending a weak signal anyway but not enough to fire?

Jane
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2007
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2007
    Thanks for your responses...I may try to contact the seller even though it has been quite a while since I ordered it.....I just hadn't had the opportunity to try it out. I didn't really want to be in any of the family Christmas photos anyway!!!! mwink.gif
  • Options
    wes600rrwes600rr Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited December 27, 2007
    Got an e-mail this morning that mine shipped yesterday. Looking forward to playing with it. I hope it works well...
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2007
  • Options
    TanukiTanuki Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2008
    I received mine yesterday. At first I couldn't get the receiver to respond to the transmitter, but after 2 minutes or so of fiddling it magically started working properly. This is very strange, and I'm going to play with it for another day or two before I give my feedback to the ebay seller.

It worked through the walls in my apartment, which is impressive considering that these walls block signal from my cordless phone, my 802.11G wifi and my mobile phone. I haven't tested the range outdoors yet.

Mike
  • Options
    Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    Tanuki wrote:
    I received mine yesterday. At first I couldn't get the receiver to respond to the transmitter, but after 2 minutes or so of fiddling it magically started working properly. This is very strange, and I'm going to play with it for another day or two before I give my feedback to the ebay seller.

It worked through the walls in my apartment, which is impressive considering that these walls block signal from my cordless phone, my 802.11G wifi and my mobile phone. I haven't tested the range outdoors yet.

Mike

Mine looks like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/Wireless-Shutter-Release-for-Canon-EOS-40D-30D-5D-1Ds_W0QQitemZ160194163634QQihZ006QQcategoryZ64345QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#Item but came from Link Delight back in early February of 2007. Mine DID NOT come with a strap and pouch that this company (which I know nothing about) includes. I paid a "Buy It Now" price of US $24.99 + $10.00 S & H. Link Delight is now carrying a different model.

On the one I have you have to press and hold the button on the receiver to turn it on (the led flashes red). Then when you are done you have to remember to turn it off. Even using a plastic eye glass case (very light that I was given for glasses in the hospital when I had surgery) for both parts it seems that it can get turned on in the bag and you come back to a dead battery. So. . .I am taking the battery out and placing it in a small plastic bag (not sure what originally came in bag) and putting it in the case seperately from the other two parts.

Hope this helps
    Jane
  • Options
    TanukiTanuki Registered Users Posts: 184 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    Tanuki wrote:

Mike

My Phottix N1 remote is still working okay, so I'm going to keep it.

I tested it outside as far as 275 feet and it was still going strong. I didn't bother to test its full limit.

Mike
  • Options
    wes600rrwes600rr Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    I have had mine for a few weeks. So far it has worked perfectly everytime I needed it. For the $$$, great buy in my book.