Options

Thumb-ranked photos not showing, how can I get at this rating?

momwacmomwac Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
edited November 6, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I've just read God knows how many pages of old forum threads on Photorank and "thumbs up," but I can't find this anywhere. :dunno Surely it's possible?

I posted a photo shoot for a client and asked her to mark her favorites for post-processing with a "thumbs up." She did. I also thumbed a couple of the
photos myself after she id'd her two absolute favorites.

Now I want to find the photos that have been thumbed. There are absolutely no other thumbed photos on my site, so one thumb up should be all it takes to get them into the "popular" page for my site. Right? But my "popular" page just says, "Sorry, you don't have any rated photos." Well, since I just thumbed two of them myself, that doesn't ring true.

I've read on other threads that there's no way to just view the number of thumbs each photo has received. OK, I guess I can live with that. But can't I at least find out what photos have thumbs and make some practical use of this feature?

The gallery in question is private, password-protected, with SmugIsland settings at "No." I've tried opening it up completely, but no change.

Does Photorank only work to compare photos across the Smugmug community? Is there any way for an individual site owner to get thumbs-up stats on his own photos?

Am I missing something obvious here? :scratch

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    momwac wrote:
    Am I missing something obvious here? headscratch.gif
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/private-search-island
    Thumbs won't have any effect on a private, passworded gallery.

Changes to hello smuggers can take a bit of time, depending.

Give us a link to the gallery and we'll help you further :)
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2007
    Hi, got your Private Message.
    Please see my post above :)
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/private-search-island
    Thumbs won't have any effect on a private, passworded gallery.
    After reading all those other threads, I was afraid this might be the case. Does the gallery have to be both public and unprotected? And if I make it public and unprotected, and allow however much time the "Hello Smuggers" setting takes to propagate, then will I be able to identify which of my photos have been thumbed? I don't care about ranking relative to other sites; I just want to have an easy way for the client to pick proofs for finishing. Do the comment star ratings work the same way as thumbs? Does the functionality I'm looking for exist for private galleries in a Pro account?
    Andy wrote:
    Give us a link to the gallery and we'll help you further :)
    pm'd you, Andy. Many thanks in advance!

(edit: grammar)
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2007
    momwac wrote:
    After reading all those other threads, I was afraid this might be the case. Does the gallery have to be both public and unprotected? And if I make it public and unprotected, and allow however much time the "Hello Smuggers" setting takes to propagate, then will I be able to identify which of my photos have been thumbed? I don't care about ranking relative to other sites; I just want to have an easy way for the client to pick proofs for finishing. Do the comment star ratings work the same way as thumbs? Does the functionality I'm looking for exist for private galleries in a Pro account?
    pm'd you, Andy. Many thanks in advance!

(edit: grammar)
    have them leave a comment on the photos they want, that's the best way right now....
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    have them leave a comment on the photos they want, that's the best way right now....
    Yeah, I guess that's what I'll do from now on -- my bad for assuming the feature works in a way that it doesn't. Thanks. I was just hoping there's some way not to make her go back through the 98 pics after she's already done it once, and thumbs are quicker and more intuitive for this purpose than comments.

Ooooh... Andrew, does "right now" mean there's a new feature in the works? mwink.gif

Thanks again for the quick response.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2007
    Resolved
    Andrew, thanks for the insight into this part of the application. I opened up the gallery for about 15 minutes, then visited my /popular page, and there were the ranked images. I captioned them all for my future reference, then closed the gallery again. Since each one had only one thumb, I'm sure they wouldn't have made it to the all-site popular page in that timeframe. In the future, I'll ask folks to comment instead of ranking. But this worked for this case. :-):D