Options

Do you list yer gear under yer sig?

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited March 9, 2005 in The Big Picture
OK, here's a mild rant.

I am befuddled by folks who post their entire collection of camera gear under their sig. I'm sure that many dgrin members do so on other forums. Luckily, here it's in yer profile, which makes sense: if I want to know, I can look it up.

But what's the deal with shooters who feel obligated to list every little bittie piece of gear they have? Here's one I saw today on FM:

Canon EOS-1DMkII | 17-40/4L | 24-70/2.8L | 35/1.4 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2 L | 70-200/2.8L IS | 100-400L IS | 300/2.8 IS L | 1.4X TC | 580EX & ST-E2 | Hakuba CF Tripod | Mamiya CF Monopod | Epson P2000 | 3-2GB Sandisk Ultra II & Lexar CF | Lowepro, Tamrac & Pelican Bags | Alien Bees AB800's | Sekonic L358

Jeebus, how did he forget to list his filters, lens cloth, sensor swipe and lens caps? :huh

So what's the deal? Is this some kind of convention? Or is it as I suspect: an ostentatious display of wealth/gear, the photography board equivalent of driving a Hummer? :wxwax
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    OK, here's a mild rant.

I am befuddled by folks who post their entire collection of camera gear under their sig. I'm sure that many dgrin members do so on other forums. Luckily, here it's in yer profile, which makes sense: if I want to know, I can look it up.

But what's the deal with shooters who feel obligated to list every little bittie piece of gear they have? Here's one I saw today on FM:

Canon EOS-1DMkII | 17-40/4L | 24-70/2.8L | 35/1.4 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2 L | 70-200/2.8L IS | 100-400L IS | 300/2.8 IS L | 1.4X TC | 580EX & ST-E2 | Hakuba CF Tripod | Mamiya CF Monopod | Epson P2000 | 3-2GB Sandisk Ultra II & Lexar CF | Lowepro, Tamrac & Pelican Bags | Alien Bees AB800's | Sekonic L358

Jeebus, how did he forget to list his filters, lens cloth, sensor swipe and lens caps? eek7.gif

So what's the deal? Is this some kind of convention? Or is it as I suspect: an ostentatious display of wealth/gear, the photography board equivalent of driving a Hummer? umph.gif
    Maybe the guy just has a little Johnson?ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    OK, here's a mild rant.

Jeebus, how did he forget to list his filters, lens cloth, sensor swipe and lens caps? eek7.gif

So what's the deal? Is this some kind of convention? Or is it as I suspect: an ostentatious display of wealth/gear, the photography board equivalent of driving a Hummer? umph.gif

i'm glad we have it in our profiles, not in the sig....

it is useful, occasionally, to look it up.
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    In the words of the immortal Max Bialystock "if you got it baby, flaunt it, flaunt it"!
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    In thje words of the immortal Max Bialystock "if you got it baby, flaunt it, flaunt it"!
    You wear pants, Harry? naughty.gif

rolleyes1.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    You wear pants, Harry? naughty.gif

rolleyes1.gif
    Actually no. Its warm down here in Florida so I'm usually in my Speedos
    :lol4
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    :uhoh :uhoh :uhoh :uhoh :uhoh :uhoh :uhoh :uhoh :uhoh :uhoh :uhoh :uhoh :uhoh :uhoh :uhoh :uhoh :uhoh :uhoh :uhoh :uhoh :uhoh :uhoh
    Sid.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 7, 2005
    I actually saw one on FM the other day that DID list a lens cloth! I can't find it now, but I laughed pretty dang hard.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited March 7, 2005
    Harryb wrote:

15524733-Ti.gif
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    Well, from what I have 'heard'...
    the point is so that other forum members can ask you about specific gear you own. Also, if you post a pic it gives an idea of what you may have used without having to type everytime-"20D with 85mm f/1.8, 550EX flash, or whatever.

I have my stuff listed, but I've toyed with the idea of removing it from my sig because it does seem a little *flaunty*.
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    OK, here's a mild rant.

Its just like on a forum for cars, you list what you have, and what "mods" you have done to the car.
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    I can see maybe putting what camera and a few lenses you have, but not your entire collection of everything!eek7.gif
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    OK, here's a mild rant.

Interesting question. For me, I got there partly because I'm lazy. I would never remember to update my profile, cause it's not in front of me. So then it would be out of date. Then I saw someone list theirs in their signature, and I thought I'd try it. Don't really need it there, or want it there, but never went back to remove it.

Now you're inspired me to remove it from my sig, and since I have the 20D, and see no hope for a major upgrade for a while, my profile will be sufficient.

Now, how about those people who put a big honkin' picture of their lens across their face in their avatar? ;)
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    O
    I am befuddled ...

Shirley, there must be more important things for you to be concerned with, eh?

rolleyes1.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    fish wrote:

rolleyes1.gif

Yeah, like when did my location become a hyperlink to google maps? Very cool.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    Harryb wrote:

It's going to take many years of counseling to get that image out of my head. :D
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    I've seen some that are horrible. One item per line, double spaced & about 8" long my display. Talk about disrupting the flow of reading a thread.

Fred Miranda forums are the worst for this.

I'm against it. If you want to know what someone uses, ask.

Dave
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2005
    fish wrote:

rolleyes1.gif

World peace keeps me busy, but when I get a break, this sig business really gets my attention.
    Sid.
  • Options
    Charlie BrownCharlie Brown Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    World peace keeps me busy, but when I get a break, this sig business really gets my attention.

nice mind if i use that for my .sig line? either that, or ill get a list of every component for my s50 from canon and list them all. from the screws to the battery, yup everything.

cb

actually i don teven know what my sig is anymore....hmm i guess ill look at my posts more often.
    I can only hope to progress to the point of one day being a second rate photographer, wish me luck.
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2005
    nice mind if i use that for my .sig line? either that, or ill get a list of every component for my s50 from canon and list them all. from the screws to the battery, yup everything.

cb

actually i don teven know what my sig is anymore....hmm i guess ill look at my posts more often.
    Who's that in your avatar, Charlie? naughty.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    One of the things I like about this forum is that it seems to be about taking photos, not about what gear someone owns. Even the good old Canon/Nikon rivalry appears to be in fun, unlike some other forums.

In the unlikely event anyone is interested in my gear, I have a Nikon thingy, a couple of Canon thingies and, oh yes, some other whatsit. Adds up to a hellava lot of pixelthingies, which I read somewhere is good. :D
  • Options
    Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Yeah, like when did my location become a hyperlink to google maps? Very cool.

Hey Dave glad you noticed.... Here is my thread on this...Right here
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2005
    Hey Dave glad you noticed.... Here is my thread on this...Right here
    Like I said...yer handy. naughty.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2005
    david_h wrote:
    Even the good old Canon/Nikon rivalry appears to be in fun, unlike some other forums.

yep. the dgrin charter allows one nikonian to join up per month. and they rotate cleaning the kitchen, and they have to clean up after our friday night parties lol3.gif
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    andy wrote:
    yep. the dgrin charter allows one nikonian to join up per month. and they rotate cleaning the kitchen, and they have to clean up after our friday night parties lol3.gif
    If I show up for the party with my Canon P&S can I get out of it? I'll bring some beer - honest :D
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    I guess I did it because I spent more on the damn camera and lenses than I did on anything else in the last 5 years.:uhoh

Probably because I'm always curoious about everyone elses gear. Hint taken.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    andy wrote:
    15524733-Ti.gif
    Andy, that is one harsh emoticon!!
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2005
    Mitchell wrote:
    Andy, that is one harsh emoticon!!

not as harsh as seeing mr. behret in a pair of speedos eek7.gif
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    I join your rant
    At the end of the day it doesn't matter what camera or equipment one uses. Photography is all smoke and mirrors anyway. Listing every spec of equipment one has in every thread one posts to doesn't help anyone. In fact, I find it to me more of a distraction than anything. And it makes searching impossible.

One of the most humorous examples of this is when you show a great photo and instead of asking how it was taken, people ask what camera was used, as if that had the overriding influence on the outcome.

Another one is, same scenario, but the question instead is what settings were used, like there is one magic setting combo that will yield great photos (like computer game cheat codes).

To all the beginners out there, the sooner you can learn that it's not the equipment that makes the shot, its the person behind the camera, the sooner you will make progress in your own photography. Getting caught up in the equipment list is a distraction that slows you down. Spend your energy on composition, lighting, and understanding exposure. That is the meat and potatoes of the photographic meal. The equipment used is only the utensils used to eat the meal.

If you must procalim to the world how much crap you have, put it in your profile.
    wxwax wrote:
    OK, here's a mild rant.

Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited March 7, 2005
    At the end of the day it doesn't matter what camera or equipment one uses. Photography is all smoke and mirrors anyway. Listing every spec of equipment one has in every thread one posts to doesn't help anyone. In fact, I find it to me more of a distraction than anything. And it makes searching impossible.

One of the most humorous examples of this is when you show a great photo and instead of asking how it was taken, people ask what camera was used, as if that had the overriding influence on the outcome.

Another one is, same scenario, but the question instead is what settings were used, like there is one magic setting combo that will yield great photos (like computer game cheat codes).

To all the beginners out there, the sooner you can learn that it's not the equipment that makes the shot, its the person behind the camera, the sooner you will make progress in your own photography. Getting caught up in the equipment list is a distraction that slows you down. Spend your energy on composition, lighting, and understanding exposure. That is the meat and potatoes of the photographic meal. The equipment used is only the utensils used to eat the meal.

If you must procalim to the world how much crap you have, put it in your profile.

I'm with Shay here - cameras originally were just boxes with a small hole in one end and a place to hold film. Lighting, perspective, composition are really what we need to discuss. I find the lists ostentatious and disconcerting and slightly embarrassing eek7.gif And some of the lists are kind of 'small' too....

The exif data is on my Smugmug site if someone really feels the need to know what lens or camera I used.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2005
    my meat and potatoes radar just went off
    ...yadda yadda yadda...

That is the meat and potatoes of the photographic meal. The equipment used is only the utensils used to eat the meal.

:eat nod.gif