SF3 - Indecision

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited November 9, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
When you run two ideas past all your friends and get a 50/50 split on preference, you begin to doubt which image is stronger. Or I do, at least. :D So I thought it was time for some POV from other photographers, as I'm wavering a bit. Which do you think is stronger? :dunno

To Kill a King (Current Entry)
218211243-600x600.jpg

Dreamscape
218211172-600x600.jpg

Your Opinion, Please 25 votes

To Kill a King
88% 22 votes
Dreamscape
0% 0 votes
Shoot on, little lady. Shoot on.
12% 3 votes

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    Comparing these 2 images is like comparing apples to oranges.....both are just so different. Both are original concepts. Your 2nd image has great potential, but is not quite 'there' for me. Your original image is dead-on. The lighting is great and technically I think it shines. It doesn't surprise me you get a 50/50 split on voting with your friends. You probably will here as well. Try not to doubt your own instincts.........they are usually right! Nothing wrong with continuing to shoot up to the finish, but don't let self-doubt and indecision take over. You're a great photographer and should know in your heart which is your best shot. :D
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    To Kill a King:

:jawdrop
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Comparing these 2 images is like comparing apples to oranges.....both are just so different. Both are original concepts. Your 2nd image has great potential, but is not quite 'there' for me. Your original image is dead-on. The lighting is great and technically I think it shines. It doesn't surprise me you get a 50/50 split on voting with your friends. You probably will here as well. Try not to doubt your own instincts.........they are usually right! Nothing wrong with continuing to shoot up to the finish, but don't let self-doubt and indecision take over. You're a great photographer and should know in your heart which is your best shot. :D

Thanks, Saurora. I really appreciate it. iloveyou.gif It overjoys me to hear you think the lighting is great in the first shot, as that was the challenge I set for myself. It's the first time I used a strobe and took care with cross-lighting, which was very intimidating for me. :D

Thank you again.
    edited November 6, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    To Kill a King:

:jawdrop

Oh, jawdrop from schmoo! That has to be worth at least 10 votes in and of itself, right? mwink.gif

Thanks, missy! iloveyou.gif
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    Really, now that I've gotten over the initial shock... :D

I love everything about it! The subdued tones are perfect for the porcelain-pale skin and the reddish/sepia warmth accentuates the sensual aspects of the figure, which contrasts perfectly with the title and the cold intent of the story.

And to hear the lighting was a challenge for you, I'd never have guessed! I have a lot to learn about lighting. :oogle
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    schmoo wrote:

I love everything about it! The subdued tones are perfect for the porcelain-pale skin and the reddish/sepia warmth accentuates the sensual aspects of the figure, which contrasts perfectly with the title and the cold intent of the story.

And to hear the lighting was a challenge for you, I'd never have guessed! I have a lot to learn about lighting. :oogle

15524779-Ti.gif
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    To kill a king is flat awesome. thumb.gif I'd love to do something that good.
    Michael
    Michael
    edited November 8, 2007
    schmoo wrote:

Thanks, Steph. I appreciate the detailed feedback. thumb.gif
    edited November 8, 2007
    pemmett wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

Hee, thank you! (I love the little guys with the signs.)
    edited November 8, 2007
    DaddyO wrote:
    To kill a king is flat awesome. thumb.gif I'd love to do something that good.
    Michael

Thanks, Michael! Much appreciated. iloveyou.gif

Looks like it's taken an overwhelming lead in the poll, so I should just sit back and stop second-guessing myself. ...But this wouldn't be a true LPS round if I didn't stress and shoot at least 3 other ideas right up until the deadline. :D
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    I agree with Saurora. Each are just so stunning, but entirely different.... I haven't voted yet, and there's no way to tell how the panel will move....
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    I love the composition and lighting in "To Kill a King" -brilliant! :cool
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
    edited November 8, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    I agree with Saurora. Each are just so stunning, but entirely different.... I haven't voted yet, and there's no way to tell how the panel will move....

Thanks, Mark. I look forward to the final verdict. mwink.gif
    edited November 8, 2007
    Dalantech wrote:
    I love the composition and lighting in "To Kill a King" -brilliant! :cool
    Thank you! iloveyou.gif
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    To Kill a King is terrific, IMO. I love the sepia-tinge you created. thumb.gif

Dreamscape is very pretty. But I feel that To Kill a King is the one that's the attention-grabber for this SF.