Options

scacafe anyone

BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited November 28, 2007 in Finishing School
Hello, I am about to send some negatives to Scancafe.
Many moons ago I read that a few people including Andy were interested in doing so. if you have some personal experience with this company, I would love to hear them. I just called Scancafe and they were very professional

Bp
:photo

Comments

• Options
    Ham1Ham1 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    Many moons ago I read that a few people including Andy were interested in doing so. if you have some personal experience with this company, I would love to hear them. I just called Scancafe and they were very professional

Bp

Check out this thread:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=45901&highlight=scancafe

I personally have not used them but heard good things.

Markham
  • Options
    ArchangelArchangel Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    I sent 129 slides to them recently. I heard back from them that they were received a few weeks ago. I will let you know what happens :D

Jeanne
  • Options
    pfhookedpfhooked Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 11, 2007

Bp

At first glance I thought this would be fabulous. I went through all my albums and took out the negatives that I had so dutifully stored behind the photos. I wasn't all that worried about sending the 5600 negatives to them just because I still have the originals. I mailed them off and what was supposed to take 4-6 weeks took 8. Then when the disks arrived each of the 7 disks were bad about 3/4 of the way through. I notified Scancafe; I had to twice before I got a response. They sent new disks out. I was very disappointed that the replacement disks were not rushed to me. They were sent UPS 5-7 day delivery. You would think… This time instead of 7 disks I received only 5 disks. I'm missing 2 gigs from the original disks. I did get my negatives back and have let Scancafe know of the discrepancy and between the two sets. I may actually have most of them, but it is going to take a lot of time for me to go through approximately 4600 pictures and figure out which ones did not make the cut on the second set. UGH! I would not recommend ScanCafe.
  • Options
    dmercdmerc Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited November 12, 2007
    Will work to resolve
    pfhooked wrote:
    At first glance I thought this would be fabulous. I went through all my albums and took out the negatives that I had so dutifully stored behind the photos. I wasn't all that worried about sending the 5600 negatives to them just because I still have the originals. I mailed them off and what was supposed to take 4-6 weeks took 8. Then when the disks arrived each of the 7 disks were bad about 3/4 of the way through. I notified Scancafe; I had to twice before I got a response. They sent new disks out. I was very disappointed that the replacement disks were not rushed to me. They were sent UPS 5-7 day delivery. You would think… This time instead of 7 disks I received only 5 disks. I'm missing 2 gigs from the original disks. I did get my negatives back and have let Scancafe know of the discrepancy and between the two sets. I may actually have most of them, but it is going to take a lot of time for me to go through approximately 4600 pictures and figure out which ones did not make the cut on the second set. UGH! I would not recommend ScanCafe.

pfhooked-
    This is a bit surprising, but we will work to aggressively get this fixed. The majority of the SmugMug users have had very good results with ScanCafe. That said, customer satisfaction is critical, and we will make amends asap.

Sincerely,
    Damon Mercadante
    ScanCafe
  • Options
    BlairdudeBlairdude Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 12, 2007
    My Experience with ScanCafe
    dmerc wrote:
    pfhooked-
    This is a bit surprising, but we will work to aggressively get this fixed. The majority of the SmugMug users have had very good results with ScanCafe. That said, customer satisfaction is critical, and we will make amends asap.

Sincerely,
    Damon Mercadante
    ScanCafe

Hi,

I have used Scancafe.com since March of this year (over 10,000 scans and my 5th order). Although I do have to admit that the time it leaves my hands until the time I get everything back to my door has run from 8-9 weeks on average, I have been VERY impressed with their service. I've been all over the net and I can't find anyone to meet their price (for what I am looking for I can't even get someone to come close - 4000 dpi scans in .tiff format). So... I certainly could get images back quicker but at double the price or more, and without the additional touch up that they do. I've done negatives and slides and they have consistently improved the image and gotten rid of any dust, specs, etc. Additionally, they haven't missed or "goofed" or lost any image for me. Thus, I plan on continuing to use them and will vouch for their quality based on personal experience. If anyone wants to ask me any questions, you can e-mail me at blairdude@hotmail.com - I do NOT work for scancafe nor do I have any affiliation with them in case you're wondering. I did benefit from the coupon given at this site previously, so this is kind of my way of paying it back.

Blair
  • Options
    Scott BuelScott Buel Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    I wrote this about ScanCafe:

http://scenesfromthepast.com/flotsam-and-jetsam/scancafe

I highly recommend them.

I think that Damon responded to the post above with problems speaks volumes about their level of dedication to customer service.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Check out my galleries : scenes from the past

Scan Cafe: let the pros do it
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2007
    It all continues...
    Yes scancafe has responded to my trails, but my latest response was not what I was hoping for. I was informed that when they went to reburn my images some of the files were corrupt. If I hadn't caught it wonder if they would have ever mentioned it? I don't think so. Now I was told to go through my 5600 negatives and figure out which ones were corrupted by their software and resend them with my next order. No mention of refunding me for the 2 gig's worth of images I did not receive. Faulty disks, poor software. I'm done.

I am not one to write poor reviews, in fact I think this is my first. I have written many, many great ones. So I'm not one of "those" people. The time invested in the whole undertaking makes it so frustrating that it did not go smoothly.

Funny how no one responded to the orginal post for 6 days, but I post a review not so positive and now people chime in. Huh?
  • Options
    Scott BuelScott Buel Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    pfhooked wrote:
    Funny how no one responded to the orginal post for 6 days, but I post a review not so positive and now people chime in. Huh?

Sorry about your bad experience. I'm sure if you call them they can work something out with you. They have been responsive to all of my problems, suggestions, etc.

As far as not responding for 6 days, I just now saw your posting today. I don't visit every day.

Either way, good luck.
    Check out my galleries : scenes from the past

Scan Cafe: let the pros do it
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2007
    Scancafe Comes Through! In Spades!
    pfhooked wrote:
    Yes scancafe has responded to my trails, but my latest response was not what I was hoping for. I was informed that when they went to reburn my images some of the files were corrupt. If I hadn't caught it wonder if they would have ever mentioned it? I don't think so. Now I was told to go through my 5600 negatives and figure out which ones were corrupted by their software and resend them with my next order. No mention of refunding me for the 2 gig's worth of images I did not receive. Faulty disks, poor software. I'm done.

I am not one to write poor reviews, in fact I think this is my first. I have written many, many great ones. So I'm not one of "those" people. The time invested in the whole undertaking makes it so frustrating that it did not go smoothly.

As a follow up to my previous posting I want to let anyone who is considering using ScanCafe know what a great job Damon did at resolving all my issues. Once Damon read my review he contacted me. (Kudos for keeping your eyes and ears open.) He went above and beyond what I would have expected or what I requested. The really good news is that even though I had a couple separate issues with my order, there was NEVER a time that I felt like my images had been misplaced or mishandled. I know how nervous most people are about letting go of their pictures. I will recommend ScanCafe to all my friends and I will be using them again in the future.