My wife at the beach

PeterGarPeterGar Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
edited March 8, 2005 in People
Since I'm new around here, I figure I'd like to share a couple of my favorite shots. I took these pictures of my wife while at Zuma Beach, California during the summer of 2004 on my Canon A40. I'm rather happy with them, although I do realize they are a bit noisy (I think they were shot at ISO 400).

Comments?

17072344-M.jpg

17072340-M.jpg

Comments

• TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    Those are challenging lighting conditions. I like the first shot - the wind in the hair and wave motion enhances the beach feel. One minor nitpick - straighten that horizon. What's your processing software?
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    hi Peter,

welcome aboard wave.gif I agree with Tristan on the first being the best and the environment to be challenging. I'm gonna confuse you by going straight against Tristan :D I'd say straighten the missus! that is: turn the picture some degrees counter clockwise, I think that brings more depth to it, and a nice angle for the background.
    Okay, I'm weird :lol
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • PeterGarPeterGar Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    TristanP wrote:
    Those are challenging lighting conditions. I like the first shot - the wind in the hair and wave motion enhances the beach feel. One minor nitpick - straighten that horizon. What's your processing software?
    I use Photoshop Album 2.0 and Photoshop Elements 2.0. I have no idea how to straighten the horizon. Any tips?
  • PeterGarPeterGar Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    hi Peter,

welcome aboard wave.gif I agree with Tristan on the first being the best and the environment to be challenging. I'm gonna confuse you by going straight against Tristan :D I'd say straighten the missus! that is: turn the picture some degrees counter clockwise, I think that brings more depth to it, and a nice angle for the background.
    Okay, I'm weird :lol
    Thanks! I'll give it a shot! :D
  • CosmicCosmic Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    I like the feeling I get from the first pic. Fun and relaxation! :D

Welcome aboard!

~Heidi~
    Lead me not into Temptation. I can find the way myself....

• Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    straightening the horizon
    PeterGar wrote:
    I use Photoshop Album 2.0 and Photoshop Elements 2.0. I have no idea how to straighten the horizon. Any tips?
    Peter,

I don't know if elements has this, but his big Bro does :D
    1. under the eye-dropper tool in the menu you will find a measure tool, select it
    2. draw a line with the measure tool that will indicate what you want to have straightened: if you want to straighten the horizon, draw a line along the currently angled horizon, if you want the missus straight, you'd have better luck rotating the canvas manually.
    3. Choosing the horizon to be straight: you have used the measure tool and you have drawn a line, got to Image-> Rotate Canvas -> Arbitrary and you'll see that an angle to rotate as already been filled in (it's been taken from the measure tool)
    4. click ok :D
    5. rotating manually: I always use the Rectangle Marquee Tool and then I press ctrl+a to select the entire photo.
    6. right mouse click on the photo and choose free transform.
    7. if you put your mouse just outside the corner of the photo you'll see 2 curved arrows, click with the right mouse and go up and down to experiment.
    8. press enter to confirm
    That's it :D
    Well, that's it for rotating, now comes the hard part for your photo, you'll need to cut stuff off to make it a straight photograph again..... Because of that, angle is very important when making a composition.
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    Welcome Peterwave.gif nice light on the first one.
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 8, 2005
    Welcome Peter wave.gif

I agree with what's been posted so far. The fist pic works, but straightening the horizon would improve it. The glare is just a little too much for me in the 2nd shot.

As mentioned, shooting into the Sun is tough, at best. You did very good with these thumb.gifthumb.gif

Nice to have you join us and keep posting pics :-)

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero