My Lens Selection for D300

BrascoleBrascole Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited December 14, 2007 in Cameras
I'm an egual opportunity camera owner. So I decided to upgrade my Canon 20D to a the Nikon D300. When it ships these are my lens choices:

Nikon 300 f4
Nikon 10.5 f2.8 (for the fun of it)
Nikon 80-400

I'm vested in Canon glass and the 20D is still an outstanding camera. I have this Canon combo:

Canon 100 f2.8 Macro
Canon 10-22
Canon 24-105 f4L
Canon 70-200 f4L

Well that's my plan. The D300 will bring out the best in the lens choice I have made and I will not be redundant with what I have in Canon glass.

I considered the 5D upgrade but I don't want to wait till the Spring and the Nikon fills my needs. Plus the $5000 budget will not get me a 5D MKII or whatever it will be called plus the equivelent lenses to the Nikon's.

Cheers

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited November 6, 2007
    Cool!

Can I borrow whatever you're not using on the weekends? (Oh man, now I'd better add a smilie.) mwink.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • BrascoleBrascole Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited November 6, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Cool!

Can I borrow whatever you're not using on the weekends? (Oh man, now I'd better add a smilie.) mwink.gif

Thank You. I needed that. A friend who I know for more than well I'll just say when the "Merry Mailman" was a hit show asked if he could borrow the 70-200. If my mother bless her sole came back to life for the specific reason to borrow my 70-200 to take pictures of heaven I would tell her no. Well we had a good laugh and then he stuck me with the check at Starbucks. But, my 70-200 is not broken. I guess being moderator I would trust you. By the way I live in Shangrila.
  • BrascoleBrascole Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2007
    Brascole wrote:
    I'm an egual opportunity camera owner. So I decided to upgrade my Canon 20D to a the Nikon D300. When it ships these are my lens choices:

Nikon 300 f4
    Nikon 10.5 f2.8 (for the fun of it)
    Nikon 80-400

I'm vested in Canon glass and the 20D is still an outstanding camera. I have this Canon combo:

Canon 100 f2.8 Macro
    Canon 10-22
    Canon 24-105 f4L
    Canon 70-200 f4L

Well that's my plan. The D300 will bring out the best in the lens choice I have made and I will not be redundant with what I have in Canon glass.

I considered the 5D upgrade but I don't want to wait till the Spring and the Nikon fills my needs. Plus the $5000 budget will not get me a 5D MKII or whatever it will be called plus the equivelent lenses to the Nikon's.

Cheers

An update to myself.

Got the D300 on Monday 12/10 and it meets all my expectations. My daughter gave me my Christmas present early, the Nikon 70-300. I noticed something and that is I have to learn the camera. Well learning the camera with grip attached and a somewhat heavy lens attached is uncomfortable. I picked up the 50 f1.8 the greatest el cheapo lens made for the sole purpose to learn. I'm glad I did.

I'm an old guy so holding the camera while reading the manual on the different settings and then experimenting is now just so much more fun. However shooting with a 50mm prime I had a revelation, I like primes. Second I like the short medium to telephoto range. In my lens wish list I choose a long zoom, a prime and fisheye. My udate finally to the point:

Nix the 10.5 and the 300 f4. Replaced with the 85 f1.4 at least until the spring in the event the 85 is upgraded. Heck I can have some fun with the 50 and 70-300 in the meantime.
    Wait on the 80-400 till the summer in the event Nikon upgrades the lens.

I have to send the 70-300 to Nikon because out of the box it's in need of a calibration. I would return it but my daughter got it for a real good price and well it's not good business to return a present from your daughter. Plus, it's a decent lens.

So thanks for taking the time to read this and I wish you all a Merry Christmas, Happy Holiday and a prosperous New Year.