Options

In depth review on the new Rebel 350D

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    I'll wait for your review.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    Sid
    wxwax wrote:
    I'll wait for your review.
    That's not gunna happen, what would a Ruler of the Wasteland look with a piece of plastic??? rolleyes1.gif
    Seriously, it's indeed a good alternative for a 20D... I'd never trade though, it's the wheel you know :D never can and will give it up mwink.gif
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    ^^I'm with him.

I would not trade my 20D in for it either. To many features the 350D lacks that I use.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 7, 2005
    why are you talkin about trading a 20D for it? It's not a competitor.

it's so... cute, and small. I don't think I could use it. My hands were already a little on the big side for the 300D, the 350D would get lost in my mitts. But man, that flash pops waaaay up!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    Thanks for the update, Gus!!!
    Humungus wrote:
    I'm gonna go check that review out now...gotta see if it's on my short list or not! (I'm hoping it will be...I'm even driving to Las Vegas tomorrow to see it in person at the Photoshop Expo!). But the 20D and D70 will also be there...I'm taking some spare CF cards!!!

Cheers!
    ~Nee :D
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    I think its got enough features for all i would req but the plastic is a bit of a turn off but hey that price stuff aint it. I have big hands & always like heavier more solid cameras.

For what it is & the money they are asking i recon its really going to bring a lot of people to DSLR's. Great value !
  • Options
    traunerktraunerk Registered Users Posts: 513 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    ah, you guys....
    too many 20D snobs...(back off! I was just kidding)mwink.gif

some of us actually enjoy using smaller cameras and I think the 350 will suit me just fine. besides, what good is a camera if you can't take it with you....:):

Regards...Keith T.
    Beam me outta here!:winkKT
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    traunerk wrote:
    too many 20D snobs...(back off! I was just kidding)mwink.gif

some of us actually enjoy using smaller cameras and I think the 350 will suit me just fine. besides, what good is a camera if you can't take it with you....:):

Regards...Keith T.
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Yup, that's what I'm looking at, too...less weight to lug around. Back from Photoshop World Expo...got to hold the XT in my hands iloveyou.gif and take a few shots with it (though I was not allowed to use a CF card, so the shots could only be viewed in the LCD without the ability to zoom in on recorded detail!!!) headscratch.gif Seemed very well built...didn't feel plastic at all...actually seemed a lot more solid that the original DRebel. More like a mini 20D... rolleyes1.gif

Cheers!
    ~Nee rolleyes1.gif

• Options
    traunerktraunerk Registered Users Posts: 513 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    Nee...couple of quick comments...
    Nee7x7 wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Yup, that's what I'm looking at, too...less weight to lug around. Back from Photoshop World Expo...got to hold the XT in my hands iloveyou.gif and take a few shots with it (though I was not allowed to use a CF card, so the shots could only be viewed in the LCD without the ability to zoom in on recorded detail!!!) headscratch.gif Seemed very well built...didn't feel plastic at all...actually seemed a lot more solid that the original DRebel. More like a mini 20D... rolleyes1.gif

Cheers!
    ~Nee rolleyes1.gif
    I bought the camera - so far so good. only place i see where canon cheaped out a little is the lcd - my v1 lcd was better. it does make it a bit hard to tell if something is precisely in focus when reviewing a shot.

awesome speed of focus (with 17-85 efs lens) and no perceptible lag. exposure so far seems a bit underexposed consistently - maybe by a 1.3 of a stop or a bit more.

very nice on board flash results so far - very impressive. you can see a couple of picks here:

http://kt.smugmug.com/gallery/431023

I'll post some more later if I have time. regards...Keith
    Beam me outta here!:winkKT
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    Thanks, Keith!
    traunerk wrote:
    I bought the camera - so far so good. only place i see where canon cheaped out a little is the lcd - my v1 lcd was better. it does make it a bit hard to tell if something is precisely in focus when reviewing a shot.

awesome speed of focus (with 17-85 efs lens) and no perceptible lag. exposure so far seems a bit underexposed consistently - maybe by a 1.3 of a stop or a bit more.

very nice on board flash results so far - very impressive. you can see a couple of picks here:

I'll take a look at your gallery asap! Glad you finally got your camera!!! Sounds like it might be just what I'm looking for...

Cheers!
    ~Nee :)

• Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2005
    Here is another XT review.
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2005
    newegg.com has the XT listed for $829, here. It sounds like a great price if it is the real deal.

It is not in stock at the time of my post, not sure when it is due in.
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2005
    The luminous landscape has posted a review of the 350XT here.
  • Options
    3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    trade 20d
    I woudn't trade my 20d for anything... but that 28-55mm default lens I'd trade for a McDonalds Hamburger rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2005
    kc7dji wrote:
    ... but that 28-55mm default lens I'd trade for a McDonalds Hamburger rolleyes1.gif
    Wow, high roller here! I have heard less kind words used regarding that lens. It must be a dog.

Wait, I like dogs.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    Wow, high roller here! I have heard less kind words used regarding that lens. It must be a dog.

Wait, I like dogs.
    Good i should have one by mon night. I will bring it to yos free of shipping.
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    Shees, you guys are scaring me...
    I had my name on the waiting list at B&H. They sent me an email to say the Rebel XT is in. I ordered it. With the kit lens. Had to. Don't have any other lens that will work. I found out my old lenses from my film camera won't work on a digital camera.:cry They were expensive too. Oh well. The thing is, I can't afford a 20D or expensive lenses. This is a big step up from my Olympus c5050z. An SLR at last. I can always get better lenses later.

Now, with the money I saved, I am taking a trip. May 1 to May 15, transatlantic cruise to northern europe. I was very tempted to get the 55-200 lens to get the full range, but I was doubtful about the cheap price. How good can it be for about $200. I should probably wait to get a better lens. So, I'll bring back lots of pics of my trip.

I got an email that my camera has shipped. Should be here in a couple of days. Oh, by the way, I'm using my husbands computer for a few minutes here. Mine died. Waiting for the tech to bring a new mother board and power supply. I don't expect to be up and running until at least Monday. I"ve been missing you all already. Been out of commission for two days already.

Let me know if you have any recommendations for a good lens to replace that kit lens and one in lieu of the 55-200 they recommend with the camera. I'm going to save up.
    Thanks.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    Let me know if you have any recommendations for a good lens to replace that kit lens and one in lieu of the 55-200 they recommend with the camera. I'm going to save up.
    Thanks.
    Snappy i think from what ive read that if i was looking for an intermediate priced lens then the 70-200 L f/4 is a good choice.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    Now, with the money I saved, I am taking a trip. May 1 to May 15, transatlantic cruise to northern europe.
    Congrats Snap!!! And I agree with Gus, saving up for the 70-200 F/4 will definitely make your life a *lot* better :D I haven't regretted a second buying that lens!
    About your trip, that is such a coincidence!! I'm going to the states from the 1st to the 15th :D all the way from northern Europe mwink.gif
    Enjoy your trip and camera!!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2005
    Congrats Snap!!! And I agree with Gus, saving up for the 70-200 F/4 will definitely make your life a *lot* better :D I haven't regretted a second buying that lens!
    About your trip, that is such a coincidence!! I'm going to the states from the 1st to the 15th :D all the way from northern Europe mwink.gif
    Enjoy your trip and camera!!
    Hey Michiel,
    That is a coincidence indeed! I will be visiting London, Paris, Amsterdam, some place in the Azors, Oslo and Copenhagen. That must be in your neighborhood. I should have a few weeks to practice up on my new camera before I leave. I'm still learning about the camera that I have and it's been over a year. So, I guess I'm a slow learner.:D I'll have to work harder on the new one. Maybe some of my current knowledge will transfer over. I sure hope so. I'm so excited, I can hardly wait. I wish I knew someone I could borrow a good zoom lens from. Hmmm do they rent those?
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2005
    Ah, London Paris and Amsterdam are very nice cities!! The others are on my to-do list :D Don't forget Prague and Vienna if you have the chance, you will surely have a great time there!
    You should be able to rent lenses :D even in The Netherlands they rent out lenses rolleyes1.gif
    Remember, practice makes perfect and digital film is free :lol
    Enjoy the camera!!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    Hey Michiel,
    Paris
    Snappy...there is a street in middle of Paris that i just walked into looking for a coffee that has prostitutes standing in front of the shops in the most amazing 'costumes' if you like. It looked like something from Moulin Rouge (well it was close to the moulin rouge also) They were costumes but they wernt at the same time if that makes sence.

It was the only shot i regret most not taking there.

I just grabbed my daughter & turned around but i cannot forget the scene...do look for the street. Its just an everyday sort of street in the middle of town.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    Don't have any other lens that will work. I found out my old lenses from my film camera won't work on a digital camera.:cry They were expensive too. Oh well. The thing is, I can't afford a 20D or expensive lenses.
    Snappy, congrats on the 350D, but unless I'm totally stupid, the 20D and 350D take exactly the same lenses, so why are you upset that you can't afford the 20D??? Maybe I'm misreading. And for your first statement to be true, you must have an old FD mount Canon film SLR?

Regardless, 350D with a kit lens will still be sweeeet! My 300D and kit lens kept me happy for months. Don't underrate the kitty. thumb.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 17, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Snappy...there is a street in middle of Paris ...

Its just an everyday sort of street in the middle of town.
    Oh of course, that street! should be easy to find in small town like Paris...

:uhoh

lol3.gif :hide
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 17, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Oh of course, that street! should be easy to find in small town like Paris...

:uhoh

lol3.gif :hide
    Yeah i know but its quite a famous street from what i was told. Would have made some great shots.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Snappy, congrats on the 350D, but unless I'm totally stupid, the 20D and 350D take exactly the same lenses, so why are you upset that you can't afford the 20D??? Maybe I'm misreading. And for your first statement to be true, you must have an old FD mount Canon film SLR?

Regardless, 350D with a kit lens will still be sweeeet! My 300D and kit lens kept me happy for months. Don't underrate the kitty. thumb.gif
    Hi Doc,
    Well, I paid around $600 for my Olympus c5050z about a year and a half ago. It's got a fixed lens. Money for hobbies is all a matter of priorities I guess. I was very anxious to get a digital camera of any kind at the time. Now I'm hooked on digital photography.

I really took a lot of pictures with my Canon AE1 Program back in the 1980s. I spent $350 or so for a Tamron zoom lens for it. It was a 35-135, I can't remember the f stops. Then my dog knocked over my tripod and jammed the lens. I had to buy a new one. Bought the same kind. I also bought a wide angle lens. So, I had the lens that I bought with the camera and two more. A pretty big investment. Then I lost interest in photography for quite a while.

Now I guess my husband is not sure if I'll stay interested enough to justify a big expense. It's over $1,000 for the Rebel XT with kit lens and two filters. The 20D would have been at least $500 more, and it doesn't really offer a whole lot more. So, for me, this is probably the most I should spend. As I get more experience, I may want more features, but that remains to be seen.

I'm sure I will spend at least $300 on a zoom lens soon. That will be a better place to spend my money than on a more expensive body. For now. I may upgrade later, and then of course I can use the same lenses. I wish I could use the lenses that I already have, but they tell me that they won't take pictures, even if you could fit them on. Has to do with the different size sensor on digital compared to film. Also, my old film camera did not have auto focus. That Tamron lens sure took nice pictures though. No barrel distortion at all. That's a big problem with my current Olympus camera.

Anyway, if anybody else has ideas on good lenses for me to consider, I'm open to suggestions. I'm looking forward to seeing the FedEx truck in a couple of days.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2005
    traunerk wrote:

wave.gif welcome to dgrin, keith, nice to have you aboard. check your pms.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    Hi Doc,
    Well, I paid around $600 for my Olympus c5050z about a year and a half ago. It's got a fixed lens. Money for hobbies is all a matter of priorities I guess. I was very anxious to get a digital camera of any kind at the time. Now I'm hooked on digital photography.

I really took a lot of pictures with my Canon AE1 Program back in the 1980s. I spent $350 or so for a Tamron zoom lens for it. It was a 35-135, I can't remember the f stops. Then my dog knocked over my tripod and jammed the lens. I had to buy a new one. Bought the same kind. I also bought a wide angle lens. So, I had the lens that I bought with the camera and two more. A pretty big investment. Then I lost interest in photography for quite a while.

Now I guess my husband is not sure if I'll stay interested enough to justify a big expense. It's over $1,000 for the Rebel XT with kit lens and two filters. The 20D would have been at least $500 more, and it doesn't really offer a whole lot more. So, for me, this is probably the most I should spend. As I get more experience, I may want more features, but that remains to be seen.

I'm sure I will spend at least $300 on a zoom lens soon. That will be a better place to spend my money than on a more expensive body. For now. I may upgrade later, and then of course I can use the same lenses. I wish I could use the lenses that I already have, but they tell me that they won't take pictures, even if you could fit them on. Has to do with the different size sensor on digital compared to film. Also, my old film camera did not have auto focus. That Tamron lens sure took nice pictures though. No barrel distortion at all. That's a big problem with my current Olympus camera.

Anyway, if anybody else has ideas on good lenses for me to consider, I'm open to suggestions. I'm looking forward to seeing the FedEx truck in a couple of days.
    you sound like me after I buy something.. lol3.gif

I was agreeing with you, you don't have to convince me (yourself) that you odn't need the 20D. :D But I just want to clear up the fact that "they" are misleading you. Besides the 3 new EF-S lenses, there are no differences in lenses, as long as they have the right mount. So you were right, but not because of the sensor size vs. film size, you can't use that old Tamron because the AE-1 was Canon FD. All the new Canons, both film and digital are EF mount.

so anyway, hope the fedex truck came and give us a review asap! thumb.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 18, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    you sound like me after I buy something.. lol3.gif

I was agreeing with you, you don't have to convince me (yourself) that you odn't need the 20D. :D But I just want to clear up the fact that "they" are misleading you. Besides the 3 new EF-S lenses, there are no differences in lenses, as long as they have the right mount. So you were right, but not because of the sensor size vs. film size, you can't use that old Tamron because the AE-1 was Canon FD. All the new Canons, both film and digital are EF mount.

so anyway, hope the fedex truck came and give us a review asap! thumb.gif
    Sorry to be so dense Doc, but what does FD and EF mount mean? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2005
    snapapple wrote:
    Sorry to be so dense Doc, but what does FD and EF mount mean? headscratch.gif
    Sometime in the mid-to-late 1980s Canon changed the way their lenses mount on the camera. They did this to introduce autofocus technology. The old 'mount' or attachment point on the camera accepted FD lenses. The new 'mount' accepts only EF lenses.

Basically this means that any Canon lens made before 1990 or so isn't likely to work on your new Canon camera. There area handful of exceptions.

Here's a message board link that gets into it a bit.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au