Options

Simultaneous Sunrise Moonset

Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
edited November 9, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
I recently had what was for me a very unique photographic opportunity. We were on vacation in Rockport Mass just north of Boston staying at this wonderful victorian B&B.

DSC_0113.jpg

At the top left there is an open sun deck which offers unrestricted views to the east, south, and west. One morning I rose early to catch the sunrise and spent about 30 minutes watching/shooting it's progression. The shot below was taken at 6:54:48

DSC_0095.jpg

As I turned to leave, I saw the moon setting in the west. The shot below was taken two minutes later at 6:56:32. Neither of these had any PP.

DSC_0098.jpg

Jack
(My real name is John but Jack'll do)

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    lovely!
  • Options
    colfraglesscolfragless Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    the 2nd one is my Fav. Love that one... Awesome Shots ~sparky~
    A Day where One can Spend all day doing something they Love is a wonderful day in deed... ~sparky~

Sparkyphotography.net
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    Jack'll do wrote:
    I recently had what was for me a very unique photographic opportunity. We were on vacation in Rockport Mass just north of Boston staying at this wonderful victorian B&B.

At the top left there is an open sun deck which offers unrestricted views to the east, south, and west. One morning I rose early to catch the sunrise and spent about 30 minutes watching/shooting it's progression. The shot below was taken at 6:54:48

As I turned to leave, I saw the moon setting in the west. The shot below was taken two minutes later at 6:56:32. Neither of these had any PP.

Glad you had a great trip Jack.
    The Victorian B&B looks an interesting place to stay.
    .... love that sunrise shot thumb.gif ..... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    RockportersRockporters Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    Love the sunrise shot. The Emerson Inn is lovely, hope you had a great vacation!
    Beth

Nikon D300
    Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
    Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D

[SIZE=-3]Mary Beth Glasmann Photography[/SIZE]
  • Options
    RockRock Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited November 7, 2007
    I like the 2nd pic best. Very nice work.
    Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On........

Christopher Kimball Photojournalism
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2007
    Love the sunrise shot. The Emerson Inn is lovely, hope you had a great vacation!

Hi Beth
    The last time I visited Rockport was in 1967. I thoroughly enjoyed both visits. It's hard to find really good seafood here in the Berkshires!

Jack
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2007
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Hi Beth
    The last time I visited Rockport was in 1967. I thoroughly enjoyed both visits. It's hard to find really good seafood here in the Berkshires!
    Glad that you enjoyed your trip! The North Shore is a great place to visit, lots to do and see. We also have an abundance of seafood... and pizza rolleyes1.gif.
    Beth

Nikon D300
    Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
    Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D

• Options
    edited November 9, 2007
    Glad that you enjoyed your trip! The North Shore is a great place to visit, lots to do and see. We also have an abundance of seafood... and pizza rolleyes1.gif.

Can't agree on the pizza, (not arguing abundance just quality). Having spent 30 years on Long Island, I've yet to find an equal to NY pizza anywhere else. Fortunately my wife makes pizza from scratch to die for clap.gif

Jack
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    Nice photos
    But do you know you have what appears to be a spot on your sensor? Lower center of both sky shots. A little disc about a sixth of the way up the frame, and just slightly left of center..
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2007
    Icebear wrote:
    But do you know you have what appears to be a spot on your sensor? Lower center of both sky shots. A little disc about a sixth of the way up the frame, and just slightly left of center..

This trip was the first time I hsd used my new D80 and it had an inexpensive UV filter on it. Mid trip I replaced it with a Rodenstock filter and the spot is not present in later photos. At least I can't see it but I'll be checking future images to make sure.

Jack
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2007
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Can't agree on the pizza, (not arguing abundance just quality). Having spent 30 years on Long Island, I've yet to find an equal to NY pizza anywhere else. Fortunately my wife makes pizza from scratch to die for clap.gif
    Never said GOOD pizza rolleyes1.gif. We usually go next door to Gloucester when dining out, particularly for seafood, there are several excellent restaurants.

The spot in your photo may just be a water spot. When in Hawaii last spring, I got caught in the rain, didn't notice the rain spots on my filter until 300 photos later rolleyes1.gif. While it's a super easy fix in PS, it was a major pita in such quantity. Learned my lesson, now I always check for spots!
    Beth

Nikon D300
    Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
    Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D